User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the awesome post! More food for thought.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the reason a 3/4 & 1 ton are more comfortable towing is not so much weight as it is the E range 10 ply tires they are usually equipped with. I'm all about overkill now with my RAM Cummins 3500 SRW, but prior I towed a 7,500lbs toy hauler with a Titan and I found it miserable here in N. California. My hitch set up and loading strategies are on point, but the wind was a bully. Not to mention mountain passes in 2nd or 3rd gear at 4500rpm just to maintain 50mph. It's not a judgement on folks that tow with a 1500 and think its more than enough (if you believe the Titan forums you'd think it was up to the task of hauling Momentum 399), its simply my personal preference to tow at around 50% of the capacity of the truck vs 90%.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my 2021 GD 2600RB home 100 miles after purchase in December with my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. I did not feel comfortable and purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 with Duramax on New Year’s Eve to have more confidence and comfortable for travel anywhere especially through the mountains.
    Might be overkill for the 2600 but not wanting the white knuckle feeling while traveling. And the 2500 HD actually rides wonderful even when empty. Better than my 2019 1500 did!
    If I decide to later get a fifth wheel I have that option on a decent size 5er for just the wife and myself.
    Yes the dealer told me I would be fine as they sell that size trailer to owners of 1500’s but I didn’t feel comfortable especially for longer travel and I have many years experience towing trailers so not a greenhorn.
    Everyone has their own comfort zone but safe travels and enjoy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of a new truck, you may want to consider a ProPride hitch. It will make your current towing much better and you can keep it to use on your next camper, unless you go to a fifth wheel.

It's expensive, but much less than buying a new truck.
    Scott and Jenny
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5 EB, Max Tow Pkg.
    ProPride Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 2019 1500 to a 3500 Diesel and the truck feels like a tank compared to the 1500 and I mean that in a good way. I would make sure you have the camera package in the new truck if you go that way, the camera in the mirror is awesome changing lanes and the ability to wire in the back up camera.

I called my previous truck a Yukon with a box, I liked it but I like this truck so much more. Yes it is large for a daily driver when not towing and I am fine with that sacrifice.

I am all for upgrading, for us Canadians its a no brainer to bypass the 2500 to the 3500 since we have no registration restrictions like some in the USA, and that way you have the increased payload when its time to upgrade the trailer you wont have to upgrade the truck again.

Good luck with your decision
    Kevin & Mary Lynn
    2020 Denali HD Diesel
    2021 Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamas1963 View Post
    I pulled my 2021 GD 2600RB home 100 miles after purchase in December with my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. I did not feel comfortable and purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 with Duramax on New Year’s Eve to have more confidence and comfortable for travel anywhere especially through the mountains.
    Might be overkill for the 2600 but not wanting the white knuckle feeling while traveling. And the 2500 HD actually rides wonderful even when empty. Better than my 2019 1500 did!
    If I decide to later get a fifth wheel I have that option on a decent size 5er for just the wife and myself.
    Yes the dealer told me I would be fine as they sell that size trailer to owners of 1500’s but I didn’t feel comfortable especially for longer travel and I have many years experience towing trailers so not a greenhorn.
    Everyone has their own comfort zone but safe travels and enjoy.
    I find this so interesting how similar rigs can have such different experiences

I picked mine up on November 28th in Orillia Ontario and drove home 1300km with my arm on the armrest and a couple of fingers holding the steering wheel the whole way home.
    I previously had a Jayco hybrid with a single axle and the biggest thing I noticed was how much better my current trailer towed. The Jayco tended to porpoise at times and this new one nothing
    Maybe it is the hitch

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I find this so interesting how similar rigs can have such different experiences
    I would speculate that its more a difference of perception vs. quantifiable differences in capabilities. I'm on a lot of different forums and some folks dwell in the minutiae and others just "run it". So when a truck passes you, it's "whatever" but for someone in the more sensitive group it's nearly death defying...same experience, different adjectives. I raced motorcycles for years, stuff that I didn't notice would soil a street rider.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbawden View Post
    I would speculate that its more a difference of perception vs. quantifiable differences in capabilities. I'm on a lot of different forums and some folks dwell in the minutiae and others just "run it". So when a truck passes you, it's "whatever" but for someone in the more sensitive group it's nearly death defying...same experience, different adjectives. I raced motorcycles for years, stuff that I didn't notice would soil a street rider.
    I would agree with this as well but also think a big part of it is setup quality from both the parts and how well it is dialed in. Just like drivers all setups are not equal at all.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since fuel economy is a concern of some who are considering a 2500. Does anyone know the difference in mileage of the gas engines available in the 2500's?
    2015 Ram Tradesman 3500 DRW puck-B&W
    2015 Reflection 29RS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen and Jerry View Post
    Since fuel economy is a concern of some who are considering a 2500. Does anyone know the difference in mileage of the gas engines available in the 2500's?
    A good place to look is fuelly.com. This is based on real life fuel usage that people enter into the data base. I would eliminate the really low and really high ones but the average works out really close to what you can expect.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast