User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent an email to two of our local ford dealerships.

1st one kept saying I'd be fine with an F150. He said he'd gladly spec me up a nice truck, of course with 20" wheels because they tow better.

2nd dealership said he's all out of F250. But suggested we could sit and spec a 2022, discuss our needs and figure out what the best options would be. Seeing how my tailor's currently at a seasonal campsite he strongly suggested i armed myself with a little patience, the wait would be worth it. Apparently a little something happened a year ago that disrupted the supply chain and there's simply no super duty's left in eastern canada. Silly covid.

We'll go sit down with the 2nd guy. We now have to decide if we want the truck near the end of summer, or order it to be ready for start of next summer... silly winter

Eric

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a different brand of travel trailer. I have a F-150 with a payload of 1705#. Tongue weight is comparable to the 2400bh (600#) I would suggest going with the F-250. I'm within my payload and towing specs, but I'm currently upgrading my rear suspension, installing a active suspension and Bilstein shocks. Not looking to surpass my payload but make it more comfortable or capable of loading to near max. payload.

F150 & ecoboost is an awesome vehicle and I'm good with it but in my opinion I wish I had bought the 3/4 ton truck when I was in the truck market.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, get the biggest gas tank you can get. 9 mpg will blow through the gallons and you will always be stopping. I have the 36 gallon tank and can go roughly 300 miles before filling up but really I start looking around 275.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOShorthair View Post
    Also, get the biggest gas tank you can get. 9 mpg will blow through the gallons and you will always be stopping. I have the 36 gallon tank and can go roughly 300 miles before filling up but really I start looking around 275.
    Oh! that's a good idea. I've been running on electric for the past few years, I'll have to get used to going to the pump again!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it’s already been addressed but please make sure that you have the tires, bearings and brakes checked before you hit the road with a trailer that’s been parked for several years!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobter3 View Post
    Maybe it’s already been addressed but please make sure that you have the tires, bearings and brakes checked before you hit the road with a trailer that’s been parked for several years!
    Thank you! i didn't think of that!!!

Eric

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2670 and love it but we quickly decided that our Tundra wasnt enough truck for the job. Like many others I thought I would buy a 3/4 ton and be good to go until I read this forum and started to check door stickers on F250's and F 350's. As others have suggested we went with a F350 and now we have room to upgrade when we move to our 320 MKS. The price difference between the 250 and the 350 is very small.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    We have a 2670 and love it but we quickly decided that our Tundra wasnt enough truck for the job. Like many others I thought I would buy a 3/4 ton and be good to go until I read this forum and started to check door stickers on F250's and F 350's. As others have suggested we went with a F350 and now we have room to upgrade when we move to our 320 MKS. The price difference between the 250 and the 350 is very small.
    Yeah i won't lie... I am looking at that 320 MKS too!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Hi,
    For the past few years we've had a TT parked at a campsite near our home, going there pretty much every weekend. It was working great taking my e-golf to the campsite but now we want to move around. So we need to pull that thing. I figure since i can work from home, i can work from anywhere! But i know nothing about trucks aside from knowing i like leather seats, sun roofs, a kick ********** sound system and cameras all over. We'll use the truck as a tow vehicle for our summer vacations and to explore from time to time. Mostly, it'll be our 2nd car. We're looking at a supercrew cab. Going from my e-golf to a truck is a big change and I'd like to avoid the 2 time TV club .

I'm hesitating between:

F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
    max payload 2155

F150 Lariat 5L V8.
    max payload 2135

F250 Lariat with the Godzilla 7.3L V8.
    max payload 3320

Towing capacity looks good on all of those. I'm concerned about payload and drive-ability. We'll be just be me, my wife and the dog in there when towing, but covid has not been nice to our waists... the 3 of us are a tad over 400lbs. Add to this a toolbox with basic goodies in there and I understand how it adds up fast. I'm assuming 1000lbs on the hitch.

I'm plugging the numbers on the KYD spreadsheet and it looks like the F150 are ok. But reading about sway here makes me think otherwise. Keeping in mind that the truck won't be pulling anything 90% of the time just confuses me more. For the sake of argument, let's imagine we're in the magical money does not factor in decision land. Is it worth it to go for a 250?

Did i say i was new here? hi!
    Eric

ref:
    https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ical-Specs.pdf
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech-Specs.pdf
    @eveilleu Go with the F250, many perks with having higher payload capacity. I don't know your budget but I'd go with the diesel option. Something to be said for over a 1,000 foot pounds of torque pulling a 5% grade with a trailer or passing the 18 wheeler doing 60mph.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents...If money really isn't an object, go for the 350 diesel so when you go to upgrade your trailer in a few years you won't have to worry about the truck. That being said, I pull my 2670 with an F150 and a pro pride hitch. With the HDPP, I have 2500# of payload. The 3.5 eco has plenty of power. The HDPP (Heavy duty payload package) is the key. When I first saw HDPP I had a hard time finding a salesman who could tell me what it is. Once I figured that out, for me it was a no-brainer. HDPP includes tow mirrors, a beefier frame, 36 gallon fuel tank, 6.5' bed, and a few other things. It's only available in XLT models and lower, so no Lariats (at least in 2019). Don't remember if it includes 10 speed transmission but I would make sure that is on your checklist. Mine is also my daily driver so that was taken into consideration. Do you have one or two A/C units? With 2, I'm running around 1075 TW, which isn't much more than your estimate, but the bulk of storage area in the Imagine is up front. I had to shift a bunch of weight into my truck bed (I still have 350# of available payload).

If money truly isn't a concern, go bigger. If there are other factors, I wouldn't be afraid to go 150 WITH HDPP and Pro pride hitch. There are a few others on this forum running the same setup as mine as well. Good Luck!
    Last edited by McDugals; 03-16-2021 at 06:08 AM.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast