User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has their opinion on tire pressure. The max on the GY Endurance in my size is 65 PSI. Some people run that no matter what. Based on weight on the tire the GY inflation tables suggest 45 lbs with my rig loaded (22MLE). I had a long talk with my dealer and we ended up adding a safety factor to the inflation tables and chose 52 to 55 lbs. Then I set my TPMS from there. I did note that the GY dealer did not use NITROGEN to fill the tires. That could also explain the pressure gain being more (one of the advantages of Nitrogen fill). I will say on my 35' motorhome following the inflation tables made the rig drive better, ride better, rattle less, and no impact on MPG.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    I did note that the GY dealer did not use NITROGEN to fill the tires. That could also explain the pressure gain being more (one of the advantages of Nitrogen fill)..
    Not that it is important but this is a myth

The only benefit of Nitrogen is to make a tire shop money

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    I changed out the westlakes for goodyear endurance and took my 21bhe out for the first time with the new tires. Was surprised to find my TPMS high pressure alarm went off even though outside temp was near 50. The westlakes never tripped the alarm even when towing in the 80's. I had the alarm set at 72psi which admittedly is below the 20% above max that is normally recommended.

I've bumped up the trigger point to solve the problem but was just curious if anyone else has noticed the endurance tires having a larger pressure gain. With the endurance having stiffer side walls I would have guessed there would be less flex and consequently run a bit cooler than the westlakes.
    Are both old and new the same specifications? If for instance the Endurance have loadrange higher, they need to laws of nature a higher pressure for the same load. American pressure-loadcapacyty lists give same loadcapacity for other loadrange.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Not that it is important but this is a myth

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I have a scientist friend, masters in chemistry, on the national science foundation, and runs laboratories. I will ask him, that should be authoritative short of a real life full blown experiment/study. I will not only ask if it makes a difference, but what percent. He is great and adds some common sense to things. I will let you know. Should be interesting to know.

Of course there are some obvious red flags. There is just normal air in the tire when you mount it so it isn't going to be 100% Nitrogen to start off. It will just be a higher percentage.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    I have a scientist friend, masters in chemistry, on the national science foundation, and runs laboratories. I will ask him, that should be authoritative short of a real life full blown experiment/study. I will not only ask if it makes a difference, but what percent. He is great and adds some common sense to things. I will let you know. Should be interesting to know.

Of course there are some obvious red flags. There is just normal air in the tire when you mount it so it isn't going to be 100% Nitrogen to start off. It will just be a higher percentage.
    And don’t forget air is already 79 percent nitrogen

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don’t forget air is already 79 percent nitrogen
    Correct. Looks like the gas constant for nitrogen is about 3.5% higher than air meaning that its pressure goes up 3.5% more than air with changes in temperature. P*V = m*R*T

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Imagine2500. My Goodyear tires start at 65 cold. Run 72-74 after reaching highway speeds. Did that all the way from Key West to near Memphis.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Both the westlakes and endurance (st205/75r14 LRD) are 65 psi max tires and that's what I've been filling them to. One thing that occurred to me that the softer sidewall of the westlakes might let the tire expand a bit more than the endurance as the temps rise which would keep the pressure from rising as quickly??

I'm still debating about continuing my practice of filling to max psi or using the goodyear load chart. According to the chart I only need 35 psi (assuming all 4 tires have an equal load, cat scale weight of 5500 lbs) but that just sounds like a bad idea, but maybe 50 or 55 psi would be better than max. I'm sticking with max psi until I can convince myself that less is really better.
    Calculated with my made spreadsheet minimum 43psi. And maximum without bumping 52 psi.
    Used 5500lbs devided over 4 tires , maxload 2040 lbs AT 65 psi for the 43psi, and lowered 6LI steps to 1710 lbs for the 53psi
    My calculator substacts 10% towbarweight ( minimum in America), and adds 11% to remaining for reserve for RL inbalance, to make 90% used of loadcapacity belonging to calculated pressure.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really true in all cases.
    First of all, many vehicles come from the factory with nitrogen. In order to maintain the tires as they come from the factory, a tire shop or dealership needs to set up for nitrogen fill.
    Many or most folks want to keep their vehicles as they originally came from the factory.
    Like I said earlier my son has a nitrogen setup in his automotive repair shop. He doesn't make any money on nitrogen. For him it's an inconvenience that keeps many of his customers happy. He just about breaks even on it.
    But like I said the race car guys want it, and his shop is on one of the routes to the Limerock racetrack, so for them it's one stop shopping. Get the alignment tweaked for the track, and get the tires toped off how they want them.
    Don't get me wrong I do not believe nitrogen has any practical advantage, just saying that for some it does.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyear endurance

Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Not really true in all cases.
    First of all, many vehicles come from the factory with nitrogen. In order to maintain the tires as they come from the factory, a tire shop or dealership needs to set up for nitrogen fill.
    Many or most folks want to keep their vehicles as they originally came from the factory.
    Like I said earlier my son has a nitrogen setup in his automotive repair shop. He doesn't make any money on nitrogen. For him it's an inconvenience that keeps many of his customers happy. He just about breaks even on it.
    But like I said the race car guys want it, and his shop is on one of the routes to the Limerock racetrack, so for them it's one stop shopping. Get the alignment tweaked for the track, and get the tires toped off how they want them.
    Don't get me wrong I do not believe nitrogen has any practical advantage, just saying that for some it does.
    Are you saying he doesn’t add a charge for nitrogen?
    Most places you even have to pay for air
    Perhaps if he explained to his customers that there is literally no advantage they wouldn’t care either

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast