User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it gives you peace of mind go for it

Imo it is a huge waste of money

I spent 10 minutes going over my trailer when I picked it up. Didn’t run water or heater or a/c
    Didn’t run the fridge
    I walked through to make sure everything was there and that was it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

I spent 10 minutes going over my trailer when I picked it up. Didn’t run water or heater or a/c
    Didn’t run the fridge

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    NB, who so your GD dealer? Curious cause we only have a few around.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    NB, who so your GD dealer? Curious cause we only have a few around.
    I bought at Lazy Acres in Ontario

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

Didn’t run the fridge
    I agree, but then I'm also one to find a local dealer I can trust and not shopping him around the country. I may have not gotten every last penny but I always felt the deal was fair and I have always been taken care of on the service side. (I realize that only works if the local guys are any good which seem to be less and less every day). IMHO a successful RV experience, especially for someone new, is more about the dealer then the manufacturer.

My last unit showed up on Thursday and I was leaving for Florida on Friday morning. They didn't really even have time for their normal PDI let alone me spending hours going through it again. Picked it up and literally threw everything in it and left. I had zero concern that whatever I found would be taken care of when I got back or I would handle as it came up. Being somewhat handy and mechanically inclined makes RV'ing much easier.

As far as GD is concerned, I feel that they're really not much different then a lot of the others. They build basically the same way with the same materials with the same people. But I do feel that they do a better job of helping after the sale.

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We worked hard for our money

Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    I just brought home my new Reflection 31MB and over the weekend I started getting acquainted with all the new gadgets. On the surface, GD seemed like a higher quality RV than most comparably priced trailers, so I was pleased with my choice.
    I filled the water tank and found the water pump would take a long time to shut off and often came on by itself. I saw water dripping under the basement storage so I removed the covers to take a look. Wow, what a mess under there. The wiring looked like a rats nest, heater ducts not fastened, TV cable connections broken, and at least 6 water hose connections were leaking. I searched the forum and found dozens of posts about leaking water systems in GD RVs. Apparently they are using water hoses, clamps, and fittings that aren't compatible. They are using Pex system hoses, fittings, and clamps and fastening them to braided flexible hoses. The size of the flex hose is larger and won't seal properly to a Pex fitting. I also heard that GD is well aware of this but hasn't done anything about it. Many owners have totally re-plumbed their entire trailer! My dealer won't do that and neither will I so I'm just going to try to remove the Pex clamps that are leaking and install SS fuel injection clamps and hope that this solves the problem.
    Needless to say, I'm not happy that GD would knowingly build an RV with substandard materials and poor workmanship. If you own or buy a GD trailer, keep and eye on all of the hose connections behind the Nautilus control panel because a slow water leak can cause serious damage after time.
    I fully understand how your feeling. Would suggest you take pictures of the poor quality workmanship send it to GD or the dealer and say fix it to my satisfaction.

A rv warranty rep told me “Trailer is a Trailer is a Trailer”. We the RV consumer are partially to blame for the poor quality because we accept this quality.We enable this type of quality. How? by fixing/repairing it ourselves, or justifying to ourselves that the dealer is too far away or the trailer will be in the repair shop for weeks, or it’s just a minor thing. This is not an IKEA kit where we are building a trailer..but sometimes it feels like it.
    And yet what do we do to improve the quality? Yes we complain on forums or right letters..but what do we really do? We acquiesce and accept it.
    Yes the employees who assemble the unit bear some of the responsibilities, however, their managers and leader who are in position to change things are in a pickle because they must meet production levels to make money for the shareholders. We as customers must accept some responsibility to accept this crappy quality because as we all know “WE” are the ultimate quality control department.
    We all worked hard for our money and good customer service doesn’t necessarily mean great quality.
    If I buy new and it needs repairing ( which unfortunately it will ) I am going to hold the manufacturer and the dealers feet to the fire to fix thing. Sometimes being the customer from hell gets things done.
    Respectfully
    Keep smiling
    Mulligan

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    I fully understand how your feeling. Would suggest you take pictures of the poor quality workmanship send it to GD or the dealer and say fix it to my satisfaction.

A rv warranty rep told me “Trailer is a Trailer is a Trailer”. We the RV consumer are partially to blame for the poor quality because we accept this quality.We enable this type of quality. How? by fixing/repairing it ourselves, or justifying to ourselves that the dealer is too far away or the trailer will be in the repair shop for weeks, or it’s just a minor thing. This is not an IKEA kit where we are building a trailer..but sometimes it feels like it.
    And yet what do we do to improve the quality? Yes we complain on forums or right letters..but what do we really do? We acquiesce and accept it.
    Yes the employees who assemble the unit bear some of the responsibilities, however, their managers and leader who are in position to change things are in a pickle because they must meet production levels to make money for the shareholders. We as customers must accept some responsibility to accept this crappy quality because as we all know “WE” are the ultimate quality control department.
    We all worked hard for our money and good customer service doesn’t necessarily mean great quality.
    If I buy new and it needs repairing ( which unfortunately it will ) I am going to hold the manufacturer and the dealers feet to the fire to fix thing. Sometimes being the customer from hell gets things done.
    Respectfully
    Keep smiling
    Mulligan
    I prefer to fix things myself then I know they are done correctly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Respectfully
    Keep smiling
    Mulligan
    Well written. However, the only way the customer can protest is to not buy a new trailer. Other brands show the same or even lower quality. Maybe spending two or three times as much might get you a little better quality, but that puts the pricing out of the range of many folks.

This means the protest ends up with the customer not owning an RV, and consequently not being able to enjoy camping.

If the customer decides to put up with the poor quality, and get even with the manufacturer or dealer by taking the trailer in for service every time a screw comes loose, or electrical outlet won't work, or the slide falls out.............then the same thing happens. The trailer stays waiting for service for months and the customer ends up not being able to enjoy camping. It's a lose/lose either way.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    I haven't purchased my TT yet and now I'm beginning to get a little gun shy! What the hell happened to this great PDI that GD is supposed to have on site at their plant??? I've read that when you make a purchase of a pre-owned RV you should hire an independent inspector to go through it. This might be a good thing to do for a new RV as well before taking delivery????
    The braggadocio from GD on the post assembly/pre-shipping inspections is all hype. Yeah someone might look for something obvious(some defect that a customer might notice immediately),but no one is dropping the chloroplast or the removing the shower faucets looking for leaks, removing the electrical access panel to look for wires shorted, etc.
    It's all window dressing.

GD is built no better worse then the rest of the competition. This was not always the case but in the last 5 years, GD has really fallen from where they started. They still haven't figured out (or they don't give a rats ...) that a better built RV from the get go is better then relying on "great service" after the sale. And that "great service" has significantly changed for the worse as well. If GD would build them better then they wouldn't need to rely on roving bands of service trucks at regional Pom-Pom Rallies.

But they build every one they sell so there is zero incentive to change the company ethics.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went from a GD TT to a competing brand 5th wheel. Not expecting the new company to be better or worse just wanted a change.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just switched from a 2018 Keystone Cougar and from what I have seen, my Reflection 340RDS is a much better quality product. The fit and finish is better, and so far I have had no significant issues.

Ultimately, it's just a trailer house (mobile home to be politically correct...) on wheels that takes a beating going down the road. I personally think quality in a manufacturing industry such as this is dependent on the crew that built it and the day it was built. Having friends that worked at the mobile home factories in Texas in the 80's I can tell you that quality suffered on Mondays with everyone hung over, Fridays with everyone thinking about getting off and going out, and Holidays when everyone was wishing they were not at work... I can't see this industry as being any different as fast as they are cranking them out.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW Limited

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast