User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet bolt suspension lube

Noticed my 27RL has wet bolts with zerks. Is there anything special about how much grease is applied? I assume I just pump enough until I see a little exiting. Any advice?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's about all you can do. The wet bolt is nothing more than a small channel running from the zerk fitting down through the bolt then exiting the side of the bolt. It could be made to be a lot more efficient in greasing the bushing but it is what it is. I've really not come to a conclusion on how often to re-grease the fittings.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best tip I can share is to use Red n Tacky (or the equal of other brands) and pump enough till you see fresh red exiting and wipe away the dirty grease.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had cre3000 and morryde heavy duty shackles and wet bolts installed on my 21bhe by Morryde in Elhart last spring. I asked about how often to lubricate and they told me every 10K miles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure their taking grease. This is what one of mine looked like after 4000 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210422_215404943.jpg   IMG_20210422_215354793.jpg  
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses. I will give them a lube and not worry about too much.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Best tip I can share is to use Red n Tacky (or the equal of other brands) and pump enough till you see fresh red exiting and wipe away the dirty grease.
    I'll second this recommendation on grease. I'm also using it in wheel bearings now. Replaced Lubriplate for me. I also bought a high pressure grease gun for ease.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 Reflection Travel Trailer has wet bolts, with the Moryde 3000. When I raise/lower the front of the trailer using the tongue jack, I can hear the suspension clicking/creeking. I just tried to lube up the wet bolts with a grease gun, but 4 of them would not take any grease. I had to rotate the position of the bolt until it would take grease.

So, all of you with new trailers/5th wheels that come with the wet bolts, you should immediately try to grease up the wet bolts before your first trip. If a bolt doesn't take grease, you can rotate the bolt by turning in the tightening direction. If your lucky, the bolt will spin in place, and then you try greasing with the bolt in a different orientation. If the bolt doesn't spin, you may have to loosen to turn it. I saw several different torque specs, from 50 lb-feet to 1/4 turn after contact/it starts to tighten. Do what you need to do to avoid the bolt coming loose.

You likely have some non-greased wet bolts from the factory, and if you don't do this, you're likely ruining a few of the bolts without any grease, which will result in a very premature failure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJimmer View Post
    I had to rotate the position of the bolt until it would take grease.

...If a bolt doesn't take grease, you can rotate the bolt by turning in the tightening direction. If your (sic) lucky, the bolt will spin in place, and then you try greasing with the bolt in a different orientation.
    Perhaps you inferred this expanded instruction below, but your above post made no mention other than to 'rotate' the wet bolts.

Do NOT rotate any wet bolt unless you first remove the oval nut and hammer out the wet bolt. Wet bolts have splines directly under the bolt head, to prevent rotation. Once you hammer them out, the typically suppled oval nuts are designed to be thrown away and replaced (unless you have castle nuts) The oval nuts are designed to deform to the bolt as they are tightened to the correct torque rating. Reuse of an oval nut will likely result in failure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wet bolt.png.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	34545
    2021 Imagine 2400BH w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000# WDH
    Modifications: Goodyear Endurance 225/75R16 LRE, Road Armor w/ HD Wet Bolts, Dual 6V Trojan T105+
    2015 F150 Lariat 5.0L V8 SCrew 6.5' 3.55

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJimmer View Post
    My 2021 Reflection Travel Trailer has wet bolts, with the Moryde 3000. When I raise/lower the front of the trailer using the tongue jack, I can hear the suspension clicking/creeking. I just tried to lube up the wet bolts with a grease gun, but 4 of them would not take any grease. I had to rotate the position of the bolt until it would take grease.

So, all of you with new trailers/5th wheels that come with the wet bolts, you should immediately try to grease up the wet bolts before your first trip. If a bolt doesn't take grease, you can rotate the bolt by turning in the tightening direction. If your lucky, the bolt will spin in place, and then you try greasing with the bolt in a different orientation. If the bolt doesn't spin, you may have to loosen to turn it. I saw several different torque specs, from 50 lb-feet to 1/4 turn after contact/it starts to tighten. Do what you need to do to avoid the bolt coming loose.

You likely have some non-greased wet bolts from the factory, and if you don't do this, you're likely ruining a few of the bolts without any grease, which will result in a very premature failure.
    Warning!!Do NOT do this! Spinning the bolts without removing them will ruin the hangers! The bolts have splines that bite into the hangers to PREVENT spinning. Forcing them to spin will cause the bolt hole in the hanger to wobble out in size.... Then the bolt can spin at anytime. The fix for this is to cut off the hangers and weld on new ones.

To the OP: You may be able to salvage this situation. Get new bolts and nuts. Remove the bolts you turned. Use a ball joint press. Auto parts stores generally have a loan a tool program that is free. If your hangers had the same sized hole on both sides, you can simply install the bolts backwards. (again , use the ball joint press)The downside to this fix is that you may have to remove the tires to grease them in the future....

Last edited by huntindog; 06-01-2021 at 03:23 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast