User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, DRW as mentioned above!

I didn't care for the 390RK floorplan partly because of this: We do most of our cooking outside and are constantly shuttling food, kitchen items back/forth thru the entry door. I think it's nice to have the kitchen by the door which is one reason why a 375RES is likely our next rig (with 8K axles).
    Last edited by orbsah; 02-17-2021 at 09:47 AM.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Yes, DRW as mentioned above!

I didn't care for the 390RK floorplan partly because of this: We do most of our cooking outside and are constantly shuttling food, kitchen items back/forth thru the entry door. I think it's nice to have the kitchen by the door which is one reason why a 375RES is likely our next rig (with 8K axles).
    Great advice. I too do most of the cooking outside. Yes on the 8K axles.

René

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene L View Post
    Great advice. I too do most of the cooking outside. Yes on the 8K axles.

René
    Here's the thing about a Dually for that trailer. You are likely going to have at a minimum....somewhere north of 3500 lb of pin weight from that trailer on the truck. Then the hitch and anything else that goes in/on the truck.....passenger(s), maybe extra fuel for the truck, firewood, ect. I could see pretty easily over 4000 lbs of weight in/on the truck. The Dually payload is likely going to be in the 5200 to 5400 lbs, so realistically, the truck isn't going to go down the road like a solid/no suspension/hard tail type thing. With that much weight, bumps will cause the truck to act like any other truck. The saleman really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one that has replied as mentioned cracks/stress fractures, so I think my hunch is correct that it's not a real thing OR it's very, very isolated.

Thanks for the insight.

René
    In all of our research and having friends who have dually trucks, I cannot say it's not a real thing. I can say in my 59 years, this is the first time I have ever heard such a thing from anyone, much less reportedly from a salesperson.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be sure you account for the 50 lbs of stuff you add and the 1000 lbs your wife adds ��

Also, be patient learning to back it up. Don’t do like a fellow I know. Went out and bought a truck and 40’+ 5’vr. Went camping with a group of us and spent an hour trying to back it in a tight campsite. Got mad went home and bought a Class A. In fact, as I am typing this, I remember that last Memorial Day we saw a couple with a new 5vr do the exact same thing. Gave up and returned the next day in a Class A.

Hmmm, maybe that’s how you sell Class A....sell’em a 5vr first.

Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backing a trailer in, like anything else requires some practice and patience when learning how to do it. Some of us have been doing it for years and years and years (yea, I'm an old guy). But even as experienced as I was when I bought my first 5ver (44' long overall), I still went through a learning curve before I became mostly comfortable with it. Having good spotters with a communications device like a phone or two way radio is invaluable, as is taking it slow and easy.....no matter who is waiting for you to clear out of the way so that they can get by you.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on xrated’s post. Practice, patience, listen only to your wife or whoever is guiding you. My boss puts the cell phone on speaker and then under her bra strap. That leaves her hands free for whatever signal she feels appropriate for the moment. And...don’t worry about the line waiting on you. Traffic will be waiting on them when it is their turn.

Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. I have ... questions.

1) I'm a bit nervous about making the transition from a TT that is just under 28 feet to a 5th wheel that is just over 41 feet. Those of you that made the jump from a relatively small TT to a large 5th wheel, how did you go about doing it. It's not like taking a test drive with a class A or C when you can get it on the road and decide if you can/can't handle it. I'm looking at investing in a larger TV and camper, which is quite an investment to make without knowing for sure that I'm ready for the jump.
    If it's any help, remember that a 41 foot 5er will actually tail back around 38 feet because it overhangs the bed of the truck by that much. That view can be a little intimidating for someone who's used to hauling a TT.

As a former TT dragger myself, one other thing you'll need to get used to is the path the 5er will take when towing. The trailer follows the hitch ball, so a TT will pretty much follow along in the same path as the towing vehicle. However, when you move the ball into the bed of the truck the 5er will seem to make the cut a lot sharper. When making those right-hand turns I've learned to pull well out in the road before I cut the wheel. Otherwise I tend to take out anything that may be on on the corner ... like the police vehicle at the DMV where I went to register my trailer. (insert heart-felt, heavy sigh right about here)
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. My wife and I have been Grand Design owners, Imagine 2150RB, for about three years now. We really like the quality, service, and are seriously considering making the transition to a much larger camper as we near retirement in about 3 years. We really like the floor plan of the Solitude 390rk, although haven't walked through one yet; we hope to do that soon. I have two questions.

1) I'm a bit nervous about making the transition from a TT that is just under 28 feet to a 5th wheel that is just over 41 feet. Those of you that made the jump from a relatively small TT to a large 5th wheel, how did you go about doing it. It's not like taking a test drive with a class A or C when you can get it on the road and decide if you can/can't handle it. I'm looking at investing in a larger TV and camper, which is quite an investment to make without knowing for sure that I'm ready for the jump. .
    My experience, having had a small 5th, a 28' Prowler, a 40' Weekend Warrior Toyhauler, 25' Nash, and now an Imagine 2500RL, is that unless you have a zero sway hitch like the Hensley Arrow, you'll prefer the 41' 5th. Our 40' was a triple axle, I've done a pivet u-turn in a cul-de-sac with it, driven in all sorts of weather, at speeds up to 75 (Nevada), and frankly if I didn't have to give up the truck bed, we'd have another 5th now. A rear-view camera would've been nice to have on the WW for passing slower vehicles, but I did fine w/o it. Remember that part of that 41' is over the truck bed and the space used by the hitch and tongue of your bumper pull, so it's not really that much longer than your 2150.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After_breakfast.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	32321
    Last edited by mbergthold; 02-25-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    My experience, having had a small 5th, a 28' Prowler, a 40' Weekend Warrior Toyhauler, 25' Nash, and now an Imagine 2500RL, is that unless you have a zero sway hitch like the Hensley Arrow, you'll prefer the 41' 5th. Our 40' was a triple axle, I've done a pivet u-turn in a cul-de-sac with it, driven in all sorts of weather, at speeds up to 75 (Nevada), and frankly if I didn't have to give up the truck bed, we'd have another 5th now. A rear-view camera would've been nice to have on the WW for passing slower vehicles, but I did fine w/o it. Remember that part of that 41' is over the truck bed and the space used by the hitch and tongue of your bumper pull, so it's not really that much longer than your 2150.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After_breakfast.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	32321
    Very true....I had a 34 1/2' tow behind trailer and using my CrewCab Dually, my overall length was 59 1/2'. When I went to a 5th Wheel trailer that is ~44' long, my overall length went to ~60 1/2'....so I gained around a foot or so.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast