Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Westlake tires

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The G rated Westlakes are good tires. The E rated tires are the ones that stir up controversy and have led to 172 separate threads on the topic.
    We had an insurance call for $1250 on our Solitude. That didn't include the tire but it did force $00 deductible fee.

We like Carlisle 16 inch, 14-ply, Load Range "G" tires. 110 Psi Max... $100 cheaper per tire than the tires on my Taurus!!

Note: Our 39 foot 1987 Layton had Carlisle's when it was made...We had to replace them at year 21... Sold the TT 4 years later...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We had an insurance call for $1250 on our Solitude. That didn't include the tire but it did force $00 deductible fee.

We like Carlisle 16 inch, 14-ply, Load Range "G" tires. 110 Psi Max... $100 cheaper per tire than the tires on my Taurus!!

Note: Our 39 foot 1987 Layton had Carlisle's when it was made...We had to replace them at year 21... Sold the TT 4 years later...
    Thanks for the input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the first major modification (if you can call it that) that I did on our 2020 230RL. I read too many posts about the poor quality of the Westlakes, so I put a set of GY Endurance over the summer last year. Before camping season begins for us, I'll also pick up a laser thermometer to check the tire temperature whenever I stop for fuel.

I also put some dimmer switches on the dinette and bedroom lights, and installed a remote-controlled power outlet for the recliners since about every time I got up I'd turn the lights or heat or vibrating thingy on! No other major mods yet.

So far we like the 230RL, but my wife is thinking we should have gone with the 260RD...oh well, we're content.

Happy trails!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    This was the first major modification (if you can call it that) that I did on our 2020 230RL. I read too many posts about the poor quality of the Westlakes, so I put a set of GY Endurance over the summer last year. Before camping season begins for us, I'll also pick up a laser thermometer to check the tire temperature whenever I stop for fuel.

I also put some dimmer switches on the dinette and bedroom lights, and installed a remote-controlled power outlet for the recliners since about every time I got up I'd turn the lights or heat or vibrating thingy on! No other major mods yet.

So far we like the 230RL, but my wife is thinking we should have gone with the 260RD...oh well, we're content.

Happy trails!
    Thanks MJMCCAND, just got back from getting 5 GY's on my 230.....can't wait to use it......I believe the wife, my Golden Doodle and I are going to be just fine in our 230.....we almost did the 260, but originally wanted the 230, within a week of having the 230, we upgraded our Ram 1500 Laramie to a Ram 2500 Laramie.pm that's why we didn't just get the 260 from the onset, insufficient truck.

Tell me about the dimmer for the bedroom and dining please.....and the RV power outlet....i've notice the same thing on my seats, where did you get the switches and outlet?
    Thanks Sir
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks MJMCCAND, just got back from getting 5 GY's on my 230.....can't wait to use it......I believe the wife, my Golden Doodle and I are going to be just fine in our 230.....we almost did the 260, but originally wanted the 230, within a week of having the 230, we upgraded our Ram 1500 Laramie to a Ram 2500 Laramie.pm that's why we didn't just get the 260 from the onset, insufficient truck.

Tell me about the dimmer for the bedroom and dining please.....and the RV power outlet....i've notice the same thing on my seats, where did you get the switches and outlet?
    Thanks Sir
    Here's the dimmer switch I used on the dinette:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The remote dimmer switch for the bedroom lights:

The remote outlet switch for the loveseats is something very similar to this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-Prime...rol/1000515527

I hope this helps!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Here's the dimmer switch I used on the dinette:

The remote dimmer switch for the bedroom lights:

The remote outlet switch for the loveseats is something very similar to this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-Prime...rol/1000515527

I hope this helps!
    Your the best.
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GD Diva infomercial YT channel (changing lanes) has had good luck with their Westlake 14 ply steel with a lotta miles
    9000 miles on mine so far so good but I will roll with GY Endurance soon.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    The GD Diva infomercial YT channel (changing lanes) has had good luck with their Westlake 14 ply steel with a lotta miles
    9000 miles on mine so far so good but I will roll with GY Endurance soon.
    I think 14 ply tires are load range G. The GY Endurance are not available in LRG. I think they only go up to load range E. What I am trying to say is going from a load range G tire to a load range E (in the same size) will be a step down in load capacity. Depending on your trailer (I did not see your trailer mentioned - a signature is very helpful), this maybe an issue. Please check my numbers but just wanted to may sure you were aware of a potential issue.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14FEB18D-2FF8-4437-8B5B-17945B910588.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	933.2 KB 
ID:	32235
    China bombs.
    Got off cheap this side. Other side $1700 damage which all things considered was cheap too.
    If you order the wheel well “fender” they send you a sheet of raw sheet metal.

Paint shop has to order the stencil kit and several colors if you have a painted unit.
    In the Southwest it could be up to 3 months to get it fixed.
    Yumpin’ Yimminy it’s a pain in the neck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure the distance on the I 15 from Los Angeles to the North of Las Vegas Arizona Triangle and that’s how long the new and improved China bombs lasted. It was a 111f day hot asphalt. Lovely experience.

I carry 2 spares thank goodness - rolled into a truck stop and they had GY endurance. Bought 6. Read that 6 new replacing 6 néw.

Sold this unit after all the body work was finished with 4000 miles on the endurance and bought a 398m. GYs next expense for our Momentum 398m. They have jumped $125 per tire to about $400 each in the past 18 months. Some availability issues with the Covid pausing production.

Every time I’ve been told in this forum I was doing it all wrong turned out I was in fact doing it right. I bought into the bad advise and actually got dumber.
    Then I wised up.

China bomb load ratings are relative to China bomb standards.
    Get the GoodYear Endurance and don’t look back and ignore the doubting Thomas’s:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15D9B650-E5E7-462F-975D-863C93DE3A2F.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	32236
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 02-21-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast