User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Victron BMV-712 installed now so it'll be interesting to see what the monitor says when I use the panels next time. I suppose the 20 amp Renogy PWM controller could be off.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Victron 712 on both my RV and 35 ft sailboat. Nice piece of equipment

Even more suprised a PWM controller is that efficient. Those efficiencies are reserved for MTTP controllers.

Still the Renogy site says 10.39 optimum which is still good for a 200 watt panel. Where was the picture taken?

For $400 with even a PWM controller a good deal. Great way to enter the solar experience

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I have the Victron 712 on both my RV and 35 ft sailboat. Nice piece of equipment

Even more suprised a PWM controller is that efficient. Those efficiencies are reserved for MTTP controllers.

Still the Renogy site says 10.39 optimum which is still good for a 200 watt panel. Where was the picture taken?

For $400 with even a PWM controller a good deal. Great way to enter the solar experience
    This is our first foray into anything solar. Not our first into the world of battery power. We campaigned an electric powered dragster for a few years. First powered by AGM and eventually by LiCoO2. Our goal with the solar was just to be able to recharge without running the generator. We have no inverter and don't plan to. We pretty much exclusively boondock but only for 2 or 3 days at a time. The suitcase made the most sense to me. A simple and easy means to the intended end.

The picture was taken at one of our favorite boondocking spots, Wilderness Rider Buffalo Ranch in NW Arkansas. The wife is a stargazer so we are always out in the open on top of a hill so she can set up her telescope on the patio. One advantage of the suitcase setup is being able to set the perfect angle and direction to maximize the efficiency. I watch the output on the controller and adjust the panels to get as much current as possible. This photo was the day before when it was cloudy but the next morning when the panels were out had the perfect cloudless sky.

Last edited by TerryH; 04-21-2021 at 04:59 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool
    Nice picture

For you it makes sense. You wife chases the stars and planets, and you the sun😀

I don’t want to be bothered with the constant adjustments. Plus not always at the camper so I take a more passive approach though our panels are on angled brackets.

I’m not new either to battery power, just solar. We didn’t go the Lithium route instead have Oasis Firefly Carbon Foam AGM. They have many similar traits of Lithiums

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although not specifically RV, this guy has a channel where he reviews in great detail all sorts of off-grid solar setups. I've found many of his videos well worth the time to watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/featured
    signature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve followed Will as one of my ways to “learn” he’s got some good info and as far as I know is not beholding or making money from related companies. I like you would certainly recommend him

I would look around as there are some DYI solar RV ers who really have great ideas and practical solutions

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to come back with a follow up on our experience with the Renogy 200w suitcase panels. We boondocked this weekend. Mostly cloudy all weekend so not the most productive solar panel days but there were some short breaks in the clouds on Sunday. Recorded these values during one of those times.

The Renogy controller showed 13.4 amps and the Victron 712 showed 11.2 amps charging including some lights and whatever minimal other current draws there were going on inside the 31G at the time.

Last edited by TerryH; 05-17-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but can you just plug that Suitcase into the "Solar Charging Port" that is on my Imagine? I upgraded to 100AH LIfePO battery and the corresponding WFCO Lithium Power Converter for the main panel. Just trying to figure out what else I may need. Wisconsin state parks don't allow generators, so I need another way to top off the Lithium battery for longer stays.
    Last edited by Scott in GB; 06-07-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 3.92

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12