User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cat scale procedure for Imagine XLS

After reading dozens of posts and the GD manual, I'm confused as to the proper CAT scale procedure.

GD manual says weigh trailer alone, then truck and trailer while hitched, and finally trailer only while still hitched.

Another method I've read is truck and trailer hitched (each axle set on different pad), and truck alone.

Another method I've read is truck alone, truck and trailer hitched with WDH engaged, and truck and trailer with WDH disengaged.

What's the right way to do this?

Thanks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are basically all the same
    But the third one listed will give you all the info you need
    Are you having towing issues?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya it can be confusing at first.
    Download the Cat Scale app, this will just make it quicker and easier to find a scale and pay.
    Then drive onto the scale with the TT and WDH engage take a reading, then simply disengage the wdh for the 2nd reading. The 3rd reading is the truck only but leave the wdh on the truck.
    This along with the door sticker of you tv and the sticker on the tt will give you all the numbers you will need.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    After reading dozens of posts and the GD manual, I'm confused as to the proper CAT scale procedure.

GD manual says weigh trailer alone, then truck and trailer while hitched, and finally trailer only while still hitched.

Another method I've read is truck and trailer hitched (each axle set on different pad), and truck alone.

Another method I've read is truck alone, truck and trailer hitched with WDH engaged, and truck and trailer with WDH disengaged.

What's the right way to do this?

Thanks
    The cat scale has three pads. You want to stop with the tow vehicles front wheel (axle) on the front pad, the TV rear wheels on the middle pad and the trailer wheels on the (very larger) rear pad. Each time over (each weigh) gives you three reading; the front axle of your tow vehicle, the rear axle of the TV (and if attached) the sum of the trailer axles. Once you have these reading in the different hitch conditions you simply subtract the weight between reading to get the amount of weight and weight change. The order you take the weights (configuration) does not matter, but do keep track of which weights go with which configuration (bars loaded or unloaded).

For example on the front axle;
    Front axle weight (w/trailer WDH bars unloaded) - Front axle weight (TV only) = Front axle weight gain (maybe negative)
    Front axle weight (w/trailer WDH bars loaded) - Front axle weight (TV only) = Front axle weight gain (maybe negative)

Same with the TV rear axel and trailer axle weights.

Hope this helps.
    Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Ya it can be confusing at first.
    Download the Cat Scale app, this will just make it quicker and easier to find a scale and pay.
    Then drive onto the scale with the TT and WDH engage take a reading, then simply disengage the wdh for the 2nd reading. The 3rd reading is the truck only but leave the wdh on the truck.
    This along with the door sticker of you tv and the sticker on the tt will give you all the numbers you will need.
    The third option you posted is generally accepted, and the above quote is a great explanation. No reason to unhook the trailer and weigh it by itself - that weight is easy to get by subtracting truck weight.

The second weight mentioned with WDH bars disengaged will give you the trailer’s as-loaded tongue weight, which is useful.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3rd option is the one I had seen most often, but really had me wondering when the GD manual said something different and never mention the WDH at all.

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition, with the 1st reading and the 3rd, you see if your wdh is well adjusted. With the 2nd and the 3rd, you get your real tw and tt weight.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I stopped at the CAT scale as we left to go camping and then used the changinggears.com weight calculator and it tells me my 21bhe is too heavy while another calculator (can't remember which one) says everything is fine.

Truck and trailer with WDH engaged
    Front axle: 2880
    Rear axle: 2780
    Trailer axle: 5020

Truck and trailer with WDH disengaged
    Front axle: 2640
    Rear axle: 3120
    Trailer axle: 4900

Truck alone
    Front axle: 2900
    Rear axle: 2260

Trailer alone: 5500

Truck rated weights
    GVWR: 6000
    GAWR Front: 3200
    GAWR Rear: 3500
    GCWR: 12000

Trailer GVW: 5895

I can't see how the trailer is too heavy as I don't see any actual weight that exceeds the any of the truck's or trailer's ratings.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    OK, I stopped at the CAT scale as we left to go camping and then used the changinggears.com weight calculator and it tells me my 21bhe is too heavy while another calculator (can't remember which one) says everything is fine.

Truck and trailer with WDH engaged
    Front axle: 2880
    Rear axle: 2780
    Trailer axle: 5020

Truck and trailer with WDH disengaged
    Front axle: 2640
    Rear axle: 3120
    Trailer axle: 4900

Truck alone
    Front axle: 2900
    Rear axle: 2260

Trailer alone: 5500

Truck rated weights
    GVWR: 6000
    GAWR Front: 3200
    GAWR Rear: 3500
    GCWR: 12000

Trailer GVW: 5895

I can't see how the trailer is too heavy as I don't see any actual weight that exceeds the any of the truck's or trailer's ratings.
    Looks fine
    Go camping

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s probably one number on the changing gears calculator messing with it. Not personally a fan of that calculator for actual numbers - it works a little better for the ‘is my truck enough for x’ question when people don’t have a trailer yet.

Enjoy the trip! Numbers look good. Only thing I see is that tongue weight (I calculated at 600lbs) is at about 11% - if you experience sway at higher speeds, it would be due to that number, but you’re within the safe range. I put 1/3 tank of fresh water in mine and it helps increase that tongue weight. Is that a Colorado pulling a 17MKE?
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast