User Tag List

Thread: Decal repair

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decal repair

Has anyone had success in reattaching decals and if so how did you do it. I have one that is just starting to curl 1/4” wide by 2” long. Thanks for all input.
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bad experience with bug killer "melting" a portion of one of my decals. I ordered the decal through my local dealer and replaced it. Shipping was about double the cost of the decal and total was under $20.
    I used painters tape to lay out the position of the decal, and the wife's hair dryer made quick work of removing the old decal. I was told not to use a heat gun due to risk of getting too hot.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your 2018 is too old for GD to still have spares, just head to a sign shop that does vinyl graphics. Really good shops have the camera that can duplicate the shape exactly and plotter cut it. Others will pattern and cut by hand. If it's a graphic decal with patterns/fades/etc it can be duplicated by those who can print vinyl.

You'll never achieve a permanent re-adherence to a lifted, aged, decal.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If your 2018 is too old for GD to still have spares, just head to a sign shop that does vinyl graphics. Really good shops have the camera that can duplicate the shape exactly and plotter cut it. Others will pattern and cut by hand. If it's a graphic decal with patterns/fades/etc it can be duplicated by those who can print vinyl.

You'll never achieve a permanent re-adherence to a lifted, aged, decal.
    There is a clear plastic wrap they put on the front of vehicles to prevent rock damage to the paint. I've often wondered if this applied over good decals would prevent them from peeling or cracking?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    There is a clear plastic wrap they put on the front of vehicles to prevent rock damage to the paint. I've often wondered if this applied over good decals would prevent them from peeling or cracking?
    That's paint protection film. Xpel and 3M make the best. You really cannot effectively put it on just a decal, but can certainly do a new front cap. It's not inexpensive by any means - we have it on our vehicles. If on a cap, for instance, it'll definitely give longevity to appliques.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    That's paint protection film. Xpel and 3M make the best. You really cannot effectively put it on just a decal, but can certainly do a new front cap. It's not inexpensive by any means - we have it on our vehicles. If on a cap, for instance, it'll definitely give longevity to appliques.
    I wasn't thinking of covering just the decals, more so of covering the decals and overlapping the entire cap. In other words, like laminating the decals and cap. Seems like this would seal the decals in and not allow the edges to lift.

If it worked, it would allow keeping the original decals.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I wasn't thinking of covering just the decals, more so of covering the decals and overlapping the entire cap. In other words, like laminating the decals and cap. Seems like this would seal the decals in and not allow the edges to lift.

If it worked, it would allow keeping the original decals.
    Yes, that can definitely be done if you're good with the investment. The modern vinyls are much better than yesteryear, but true enough those used in the RV industry are not like Oracal or other premium cast.