User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several Electrical-ish questions

Might as well get my newbie questions out of the way...
    Re our 2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (now into our second season of camping):
    1. Wondering if the interior ceiling lights are LED or incandescent. I can’t see how to remove or open the fixtures to change or replace bulbs
    2. Is there some kind of schematic drawing that shows the actual locations of things like the winterizing water valves (well-hidden behind kitchen drawers) and wiring & piping routing?
    3. The shore power cable plug contains an LED light to show current flowing; but am I correct in assuming it does not also have any overload protection built in?
    4. I have to use a Parkit 360 electric dolly to maneuver the trainer in and out of our driveway. I think I may have bent the shaft of the hitch jack, which has jammed a couple times recently, and blown the inline 30-amp fuse. Any suggestions for straightening the shaft?
    5. I’m interested in a backup camera, but I want more options than just the Furion plug-in.
    6. Also interested in using solar panels (which I already have) but again, prefer more options than Furion.
    7. Previous RV was a motor home, which had built-in backup lights. For some reason I assumed a trailer would also have them, if only for parking in the dark. Any suggestions for adding them?
    8. Our tow vehicle is a pickup, and with the trailer attached, the gate can’t be lowered very far without hitting the buttons on the hitch jack control. Suggestions?

Any answers or suggestions for where to find answers will be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a stab at some answers......

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsondewey View Post
    1. Wondering if the interior ceiling lights are LED or incandescent. I can’t see how to remove or open the fixtures to change or replace bulbs
    not sure - gonna guess LED
    2. Is there some kind of schematic drawing that shows the actual locations of things like the winterizing water valves (well-hidden behind kitchen drawers) and wiring & piping routing?
    no. although a lot of us wish there was)
    3. The shore power cable plug contains an LED light to show current flowing; but am I correct in assuming it does not also have any overload protection built in?
    LED indicates voltage present. No overload protection built it.
    4. I have to use a Parkit 360 electric dolly to maneuver the trainer in and out of our driveway. I think I may have bent the shaft of the hitch jack, which has jammed a couple times recently, and blown the inline 30-amp fuse. Any suggestions for straightening the shaft?
    Yikes - I doubt it? Ram your dolly into from the other side?? - ha, just kidding
    5. I’m interested in a backup camera, but I want more options than just the Furion plug-in.
    tons of solutions. Search the web. Search this site (e.g.: "mygrandrv.com backup camera"). And, BTW - it's a rear view camera IMO - only useful to see how close you are to something immediately behind your rig. Use a spotter when backing.
    6. Also interested in using solar panels (which I already have) but again, prefer more options than Furion.
    Again - search YouTube, this site, the web. LOTS of options and opinions.
    7. Previous RV was a motor home, which had built-in backup lights. For some reason I assumed a trailer would also have them, if only for parking in the dark. Any suggestions for adding them?
    Pretty much have to run your own wiring to the rear from the 7-pin plug on your tow vehicle. Then it becomes your choice for where & how to mount the backup lights.
    8. Our tow vehicle is a pickup, and with the trailer attached, the gate can’t be lowered very far without hitting the buttons on the hitch jack control. Suggestions?
    Somewhere I read about how folks are removing the head, rotating it 90 degrees and that gets them extra clearance.
    Here is one such link... https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...motor-function

I hope some of this helps. I was trying to be brief so sorry for the short answers. Others will begin to "chime in" soon. Welcome aboard!!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a lot of questions for 1 thread. Larry gave you bang on advise. Lights should be led pucks that are just spring loaded. Just pull it down. Some are real tight though. As for your dolly, maybe try your local welding shop. They have presses and might be able to help you out. As for solar and camera and backup light, there's so many options available.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backup lights are less useful than you’d think on a trailer. The area they light isn’t visible from the cab anyway, and a rear view camera doesn’t need lights to see when backing.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few answers

I have a DoHonest backup camera .1080 picture in color..works great. They provide Furion template instal for free took me 1 hour

Have 3 - 200 watt Newapower panels with Victron controller and upgraded batteries. Also a Victron 3000 / 12 / 120 inverter charger which makes all the 110 outlets live when not connected to shore power.

Our Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi has a tail gate which doesn’t interfere with the hitch
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar panels...

I recommend getting the highest power "Residential" Solar panels that your camper and wallet will accommodate. I installed 4, Canadian Solar panels at 305 Watts each. If you shop for panels by dollars per Watt, you can easily compare different panels and easily get the best bang for the buck by buying the lowest $/Watt panels.

PS: if you look at $/Watt on your Furion panels you will quickly discover they are over $3.00 per Watt, whereas you can easily find better, higher Wattage panels for $0.50 to $0.70 cents per Watt. Buying Solar panels at "Cents" per Watt lets you install more Watts for much less money (your wallet will thank you).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed LED offroad "4 diode cube" lights under the front of the camper and tied into the reverse wire in the junction box just behind the propane tanks. The lights are angled outward slightly. They illuminate along the sides of the camper, but are tucked under the camper so I'm not blinding anyone (unless they are laying on the ground beside where I'm backing in)
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I installed LED offroad "4 diode cube" lights under the front of the camper and tied into the reverse wire in the junction box just behind the propane tanks. The lights are angled outward slightly. They illuminate along the sides of the camper, but are tucked under the camper so I'm not blinding anyone (unless they are laying on the ground beside where I'm backing in)
    I’d love to see some pics of your install and what they look like at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the #8 on your list, check out this video, a few have been successful. I plan on doing this sometime in this summer. https://youtu.be/xeWl1CYH94U
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdelcurto View Post
    I’d love to see some pics of your install and what they look like at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The lights are mounted on the back of the front cross member, you can see the mounting bolt in the first pic below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4980.JPG   IMG_4982.JPG  
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast