User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65 is perfect

Left The Driveway
    Winter in Sparks Nevada,Summer we travel all over.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a 63 to 65 mph person myself. I leave two to three car lengths for stopping room and it never fails someone will always jump in and then stop. I have a forward facing camera, it records in 5 hour bursts, just because I have learned you cant breed out stupid; trust me I have seen my share on icy roads and heavy rains (EMT/Paramedic Ambulance Driver.)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Normally we tow at 63 -65 MPH, always in the right lane.

We tow a Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel with our diesel F350 SRW.

We put Goodyear G614 G-rated tires and disc brakes on the Reflection. The Speed rating for the Goodyear tires are 75 MPH. The disc brakes improved the ability to stop the rig enormously.

We are not in a rush and safety is our biggest concern. The stability of our combination is awesome.
    I've really wondered why they still put drum brakes on "quality" trailers. How much did the disk upgrade run you?
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run between 63 and 67. 67 when on the open road out west.
    2019 303 RLS Reflection 5er (nickname - Coyote)
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider
    Dennis, Judy, and Shelby (Lab-Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We run 65, I might touch 70 to pass on a 4 lane, but its right back down to 65 once I am around. Never under any circumstances over 70, I'm too long and too heavy, I want to get safely stopped in case of a problem. I saw that news report, witnesses said they were swerving before the crash, We cant speculate from here what happened.
    Same here 65 maybe 70 to pass
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to keep it under 65. The faster I go, the more wind resistance, and the lower the gas milage. I get passes constantly, but I don't mind at all.

p.s. I don't use cruise control when I tow. I can react faster that way. The down side is I need to take a break every couple of hours (my wife won't drive when we tow.) If you do the math, that means we don't travel more than about 225 - 250 miles a day.
    Vic & Mary Ann Sassone, McKinney, Texas
    Rig: 2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE (24'11")
    Truck: 2019 Toyota Tundra TSS Off-Road, 5.7L V8 w/Tow pkg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes!

This gets back to the never ending discussions about tow vehicle size. That was way more vehicle than needed, but if you are dumb enough, you can get in trouble with anything.

I'm usually somewhere between trailer speed limit and car speed limit, up to 65, depending on conditions. Plus the occasional pass. But you can bet I'm on the low end coming up to things like the Hood Canal Bridge (40 speed limit) and Tacoma Narrows Bridge. If I get out into a frequently windy area and it isn't, I'll usually ratchet it up.

Speed limits are maximums. "Drive according to conditions". And experience/capability.
    Last edited by dbphillips; 03-24-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I've gone 75 - even a little more - occasionally but usually closer to 70 (if the limit allows it) and often lower (to save fuel).

However I have a fifth wheel. I would never travel much over 65 with a travel trailer.

I was once traveling at a pretty good clip (don't remember how fast) in the right lane when a Dodge 3500 with a 30'+ travel trailer passed me going 6-8mph faster. He was only about 50 feet ahead of me when he hit a bad bridge transition. Man, that guy bucked like a bronco for hundreds of feet, used up both lanes and some of the shoulder before he finally got settled again. I swear his front wheels were barely on the ground for mili-moments of that ride.

We hit the same bridge a second later of course, bucked and thumped through it but NOTHING like the near loss of control of the travel trailer's experience. Not trying to make enemies of ALL of the travel trailer folks here, but there is a difference.
    Sounds like death wobble got him.
    Fords do it too. Scary if it happens and especially bad with a load.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i Run 65 to 70 on Cruise control but only without traffic. Gain time but loose MPG...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same Here

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We run 65, I might touch 70 to pass on a 4 lane, but its right back down to 65 once I am around. Never under any circumstances over 70, I'm too long and too heavy, I want to get safely stopped in case of a problem. I saw that news report, witnesses said they were swerving before the crash, We cant speculate from here what happened.
    Exactly the same as us. I am pulling an Imagine XLS 19RLE with a fully towing packaged F150 and I I just feel that this is the perfect mileage and safety range for me.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast