User Tag List

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We generally run around 65 with our 315RLTS TT (Goodyear Endurance) and GMC 2500HD Duramax with brief increases in speed to clear traffic or pass.

And for my nerdy/geeky friends out there........don't think that going faster increases your risk in a simple straight line linear fashion. The fact of the matter is that as you increase your speed your kinetic energy (think moving energy) increases exponentially because the equation for kinetic energy uses the square of your speed (velocity). For example: the kinetic energy at 60 mph would relate to its square, 3600, while at 70 it would relate to 4900. So going that mere 10 mph more (70 vs 60) increases your kinetic energy by 36.11% (not the mere 16% increase in speed). Using 80 mph vs 60 mph is even more dramatic with an increase in kinetic energy of 77.8% for a mere 33.3% speed increase!! The resultant curve representing kinetic energy at various speeds increases in a logarithmic manner -- it's a curve that gets steeper as it goes.

Maybe we old guys aren't so dumb when we go slow after all. ;-)
    Last edited by LawDawg; 03-24-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Couple View Post
    I'd like to know how many people towing campers or any other type trailer like to keep trailer and tow vehicle tire height the same. I see so many trucks that have 34 or 35 inch tall tires pulling a trailer with maybe 30 inch tall tires. At 65 mph on a nice hot day these small diameter tires are turning a good bit more rev's per mile then a more matched in height set. No wonder so many smaller tires blow out during the summer months. My trailer tires are 235x80x16 which is close to the 245x75x17 truck tires in height. Just a thought for anyone who may spot a potential problem with this.
    Tires have a speed rating. Not a rev/mile rating. 65mph for the trailer tire is the same regardless of whether the TV has 25" or 35" tires. Trailer might not be level though, which has a bearing on trailer tire life.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 on cruise control (aside from the occasional passing) when I'm on open road outside the city. 55 otherwise. Even at 60 I can see speeds creep to near 65 when going downhill before the exhaust brake helps settle everything back.

When we had our 24' travel trailer we did higher speeds. When we crossed into Arizona, I felt at 65 I was more a danger to others from the Simi Trucks going around me and getting pissed at my speed. Until I got comfortable going faster. Cant/Wont do that with our new rig. We are just way to long and so much weight to deal with if/when things get hairy in a hurry.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good samaritan

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I NEVER go over 63mph

I find the bigger the truck the faster they go

Have been passed by plenty doing 75plus and will never stop to help them up the road

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Dang, so someone passing you makes you so angry you would not help them out if they were in need? What a world of selfesh people... get a grip
    Tim & Debra
    2015 RAM 3500, SRW, 4x4, 6.7, Air bags, 18k Demco Auto Slider
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RLS, 16" Goodyear Endurance Tires,

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telder4 View Post
    Dang, so someone passing you makes you so angry you would not help them out if they were in need? What a world of selfesh people... get a grip
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually go 70 but adjust my speed based on traffic and weather.
    Greg & Vicki
    US ARMY Retired
    2020 F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel 10 Speed 4x4
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set cruise at 63 and enjoy the trip. Trailer tires are not rated for much over 65 mph. Many of the tire blowouts blamed on “China Bombs” are really caused by excessive speeds.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altidude View Post
    i Run 65 to 70 on Cruise control but only without traffic. Gain time but loose MPG...
    Try this speed time calculator and you`ll see the gain is really not worth the white Knuckled driving. No matter how fast your driving there is always some one tailgating you in the left lane. This leads to aggressive driving by the pinheads in their roller skate cars and a dangerous for the rest of us.
    If people have to be that much in a hurry to get to their destination stay closer to home. My tuck with 4:10 gears burns ALOT more fuel over 65 so I keep at that or a little lower.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason to travel any faster than 65mph and set cruise to this, unless I'm passing. Over 65 for short burst only. I've been in high winds on I-90 across Minnesota and damn near got taken off the road by gusts, had to drop speed down to 45 mph just to be safe. Didn't care how many people passed me at that point. Safety first, always.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trailer is about the same width/length as my truck and weighs about 4000 lbs less than the loaded truck. It feels very secure at 65 (easy to forget it is back there). 70 feels good but I can tell that I'm starting to have to manage things just a little more. I spend most of my time in the 65-68 mph range.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast