User Tag List

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my travel is in the wide open west. If I'm away from cities and traffic, I usually roll right at 70, keeping my eye on distances from other vehicles and tire pressure/temperature. That's a maximum though, in good conditions only.
    2020 303RLS MorRyde 4000
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW 4x4
    14,000 GVW Auto Leveling
    B&W Companion3600

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I NEVER go over 63mph

I find the bigger the truck the faster they go

Have been passed by plenty doing 75plus and will never stop to help them up the road

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I bet your fun to camp with.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azdsrtrat View Post
    Set cruise at 63 and enjoy the trip. Trailer tires are not rated for much over 65 mph. Many of the tire blowouts blamed on “China Bombs” are really caused by excessive speeds.
    If your tires are only rated at 65, I would definitely look into getting better quality tires. Even running at 63 is close to maximum for them. You wouldn't run your engine a couple 100 rpm below red line for hours on end would you?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our norm is 65mph or less due to the flow of traffic. If a slower "Posted" speed, we will comply. We also have a camera to see what is coming up behind us. It actually picks up a portion of the sides of us as well. Our Mirrors are always necessary. We are not in a rush, so we usually stay to the Right. I must say, there has been rare occasions that we might go 70mph. Our tires are rated "G" on our Momentum 381M.
    Last edited by KenSher; 03-25-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Try this speed time calculator and you`ll see the gain is really not worth the white Knuckled driving. No matter how fast your driving there is always some one tailgating you in the left lane. This leads to aggressive driving by the pinheads in their roller skate cars and a dangerous for the rest of us.
    If people have to be that much in a hurry to get to their destination stay closer to home. My tuck with 4:10 gears burns ALOT more fuel over 65 so I keep at that or a little lower.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php
    A lot of people are saying don't go over 60, if the speed limit and the conditions allow I will cruise at 75 all day long. 80 on the long flat straight roads with that limit. And yes the speed calculation versus time makes it worth it. 15 miles an hour over for an 8 hour day means I am driving about an 1 and a 1/2 less time then driving at 60. And yes I will burn approximately 1mile per gallon faster doing 75 then I will doing 65. Keep in mind I am driving 1 and a 1/2 hours less so it balances out very closely for fuel used. Which is not a major deal at the end of 6 and 1/2 hours instead of 8 hours of driving. And I agree with you, And hope you are not one of the "pinheads" and sit in the left lane no matter how fast your going. Anyone that sits in the left lane is just as big of a "pinhead" as the person tailgating you. Pass with the Left lane and then move back over in to the other lanes. So that you are not a "pinhead" either.
    And yes I have upgraded the suspension, tires and breaks on the F450 tow vehicle as well as the 40' solitude. And again only do it when it is safe to do so otherwise conditions will dictate speed. When you know you have the proper equipment to do this, you will find it is just as relaxing and 75 as it is at 60.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    In light of the recent TT accident in Idaho which left a 350 dangling by its safety chains and speed was a factor. I have been thinking about perhaps asking a purely constructive question and perhaps educational for some of our new to TT towing crowd.
    How many folks actually drag their rig at 70 + mph. because of posted speed limit or “the traffic was moving that fast”?
    A lot of people are saying don't go over 60, if the speed limit and the conditions allow I will cruise at 75 all day long. 80 on the long flat straight roads with that limit. And yes the speed calculation versus time makes it worth it. 15 miles an hour over for an 8 hour day means I am driving about an 1 and a 1/2 less time then driving at 60. And yes I will burn approximately 1mile per gallon faster doing 75 then I will doing 65. Keep in mind I am driving 1 and a 1/2 hours less so it balances out very closely for fuel used. Which is not a major deal at the end of 6 and 1/2 hours instead of 8 hours of driving. And I agree with you, And hope you are not one of the "pinheads" and sit in the left lane no matter how fast your going. Anyone that sits in the left lane is just as big of a "pinhead" as the person tailgating you. Pass with the Left lane and then move back over in to the other lanes. So that you are not a "pinhead" either.
    And yes I have upgraded the suspension, tires and breaks on the F450 tow vehicle as well as the 40' solitude. And again only do it when it is safe to do so otherwise conditions will dictate speed. When you know you have the proper equipment to do this, you will find it is just as relaxing and 75 as it is at 60.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While my tires are rated for 85 mph...I'd be a fool to run at 70+ pulling several thousand pounds and need to swerve or make a sudden stop. I run 65 with a max of 70 at times... But I also know my limits. I am pulling just under nine thousand pounds behind an F350 dually diesel long bed rated to tow three times that weight. And it is a fifth wheel vs a TT. A TT can get away with one much faster than a fifth wheel. I also keep plenty of room in front of me and stay out of the far-right lane due to traffic merging off and on, provided I am offered three lanes on an expressway. On this forum, I am amazed at times at what I read someone is pulling and what the tow vehicle is. You have to ask yourself a question if I start to lose control...will my tow vehicle take control back, or will that being towed take control. After well over forty years of towing, I have seen it all and had my share of close calls. One can not be too cautious on the highways.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull a Solitude 379FL... 42.5 feet @ 14K+ Lbs. When we got it I pulled it as fast as I could with our 2006 F250 Super Duty, passing everyone I could so I could own the right lane.

Some time and several $1000's of repair dollars to my truck later I realized that I was extremely stupid! The loaded Solitude weight is almost more than twice that of my truck. With single rear wheel drive there was a definite sway issue as well as stopping is very anemic with magnetic brakes. The truck issues stemmed from, I believe, overworking the engine, well that and it IS a the 6.0 diesel.

My first solution was to start driving at 62 Mph. I found that our truck pulls our Solitude very nicely at 62 Mph, with cruise control, in overdrive, all day long at about 10 Mpg. It kicks down as necessary going up hills. Now, everyone passes us. I almost never have to keep kicking off the cruise control in the right lane (of course, there are "those people" who do not know how to merge..!). The next major steps were to add a dually kit to our F250 and Kodiak disk brakes to the Solitude. That removed ALL sway and angst in the mountains. Keep it under 65 Mph...
    Last edited by fez111; 03-25-2021 at 01:05 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warren1951 View Post
    I'm a 63 to 65 mph person myself. I leave two to three car lengths for stopping room and it never fails someone will always jump in and then stop.
    Amen to that! We almost ended up with a rowboat in our grill. Genius! Before the Kodiak brakes I could stand on the brakes and never lock the wheels. Its really nice to feel the Solitude pull the truck
    back when I hit the brakes. Never felt that before the Kodiak's!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP303 View Post
    I never cruise above 65. Will exceed that when necessary to pass smoothly but will then drop back to 65 or less.

I’m just not in that big of a hurry anymore. Now 30 years ago was a different ball game.
    Same here. Never above 65; 60 is preferred speed. My wife likes to remind we’re retired and no longer on a schedule.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast