User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you called GDRV yet. It seems this is a simple fix for you with your knowledge. I would imagine they would ship one to you ASAP.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird View Post
    The current is typically around 2 amps.
    Interesting. When I monitor my amp meter, the converter is typically supplying 25-30 amps from overnight battery usage. If it was only getting 2 amps, it would take more than four days to recharge your typical quad six volt battery bank that was depleted by 50%. Hint: They charge much faster than that.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with @TucsonJim on this. Depleted batteries will absorb the maximum that the charger (converter) will put out. This is governed by the voltage difference between the batteries and the charger, but the response by the charger to a large voltage difference is a high amperage output. The cables between charger and batteries should be capable of the rated output of the charger.

If you have a battery monitor (like the Victron) you can watch this happen. On my boat, I have a high output 12V alternator on my generator. When I start up the generator with a depleted house bank of batteries, the output of this alternator to the three battery bank is about 90 amps. This current steadily decreases as the battery voltage increases.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A basic charger is producing somewhat even wattage. As battery voltage increases amperage output decreases. A more upper end charger , and possibly an RV convertor, may have more complex circuitry that charges on a curve. It will hit the battery with a harder charge then drop to a lower amperage to bring battery to full charge.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Interesting. When I monitor my amp meter, the converter is typically supplying 25-30 amps from overnight battery usage. If it was only getting 2 amps, it would take more than four days to recharge your typical quad six volt battery bank that was depleted by 50%. Hint: They charge much faster than that.

Jim
    Jim,

I think the 2 amps that he was seeing was on the 120 vac line INPUT to the converter. My converter normally pulls 2-3 amps (AC input) when charging the battery as displayed on my EMS.
    2.5 amps @ 120 volts is 300 watts. 25 amps @ 12 volts is also 300 watts. (P=E*I)
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-22-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled the converter and bench tested it with an old car radio for load. Nothing! Pulled the fuses which checked out Ok and tested for voltage where the fuses plug in. Nothing! problem must be in primary circuit. No sign of burn out or bluing anywhere and no electrical smell. Would have to call this one still born. Waiting for reply from G/D
    2022 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
    2022 Reflection 320 MKS
    My other toy is a Pontoon boat
    Pontoon captain same as a regular captain only drunker ;-)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to a discussion https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...WFCO-Converter I took the pre-emptive strike and replaced the WFCO with a Progressive. I also am almost done replacing the flimsy wall in the forward thru-storage area and added a door for easy access.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 8.33.48 AM.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	706.9 KB 
ID:	19536
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I would have to agree with @TucsonJim on this. Depleted batteries will absorb the maximum that the charger (converter) will put out. This is governed by the voltage difference between the batteries and the charger, but the response by the charger to a large voltage difference is a high amperage output. The cables between charger and batteries should be capable of the rated output of the charger.

If you have a battery monitor (like the Victron) you can watch this happen. On my boat, I have a high output 12V alternator on my generator. When I start up the generator with a depleted house bank of batteries, the output of this alternator to the three battery bank is about 90 amps. This current steadily decreases as the battery voltage increases.

Rob
    Rob - And Progressive Dynamics carries this warning in their FAQ page.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clicked on wrong button and filled in a service request form. Didn't get a reply yet so I went back to the site and found the phone number, of course at the bottom of the page. Just hung up with them and NP, new converter is on the way. Hopefully I can get the swap done this weekend.
    2022 Reflection 320 MKS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to wait until I got home so I could get the exact verbiage from the manual on page 82 under "Auxiliary Battery";

"Your RV has many 12-volt DC loads. When combined, their total is more than the converter can produce. High demands for 12-volt power can be met by an auxiliary battery for limited amounts of time.The 12-volt DC electrical system is designed for usage with a Group 24 or Group 27 deep cycle battery."

Group 27 deep cycle batteries are rated to provide 85 - 105 amps for 1 hour.

If you count up the 12v fuses in the panel and add it up (my case 7 X 15 amps = 105 amps).

That doesn't include the 12v breaker for the slide or charging current back to the battery. So the potential worst case load on the 12v system is over 100 amps. This is acknowledged in my manual above where it states that heavy 12v usage will exceed the 55 amp converter and the additional current will be pulled from the battery. Of course in this scenario there would be no charge current running back to the battery.

So say I've got an 80 amp load on the system with lots of devices plugged in and all appliances running. If I'm on shore power 55 amps would come from the converter and 25 amps would come from the battery until it becomes depleted. If I'm boondocking all 80 amps is coming from the battery which of course wouldn't last much longer than 1 hour unless I have an upgraded battery setup.

The point is the 12v system is designed to deliver more power than the converter or the battery can provide without melting wires or going on fire.

As far as charging the battery goes it shares the available current from the converter with all other 12v appliances (including zombie loads) but will not pull more than the converter can provide and will not pull any more than the battery wants even during bulk charge.

So you see the 55 amp converter is actually undersized and a 75 amp converter would just come closer to meeting the heavy demand that is allowed for and expected in the book.

As far as the "Do not sue me because you don't know what you're doing" disclaimer goes.. it's just CYA.
    2022 Reflection 320 MKS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast