User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
    I AM one of those looking to avoid that TOWING Problem. Thanks for the input. And I am reading posts from everywhere about towing. And asking the sales people at the lots is a waste of time most times. All they want is to sell a RV. Soooooo, I'm here and at truck forums learning.
    You're quite welcome sir....hopefully I've helped a bit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    Good info, thanks. Do you put all of the added weight in the RV down as "pin weight"? I thought that most of that weight went towards the GCVWR, and only a % add to the pin. I am learning more each comment. And I thought that I knew it all when I woke up this morn. Maybe not.
    Adding weight to the RV will affect the pin weight......either adding more, or in the case of a Toy Hauler with a rear garage, making the pin weight less than it was originally. So in answer to your question, adding weight to the trailer will make the pin weight change. Depending on how much weight you add, and the location of the weight, the pin weight will be a different number. The only true way, or should I say the easiest way to know how added weight will affect the pin is to do a weigh in at a CAT scale and see exactly what you did and how it affected the pin weight.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full time pulling one with 2017 6.0 gas 6 speed. Once you learn how to use the trans selector & cruise control I’ve had no problems. Life in NW with trips to AZ & TX. Most hills pulled @ 50-55 mph, rarley drop below. Overall average 7-9 mpg towing. Cost vs diesel??

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at a 2017 337RLS, moving up from 297RSTS. Would like to hear form those pulling 337 or like with a 3/4 ton. Seem to be slightly over on weight when figured one way and under when figured another. We know that most tow with 1 tons, but buying a new truck is not in the near term for us.
    Some will call me stupid, but a new truck is not in my near future. I have your setup and find braking to be the only problem. I may encounter maintenance issues but tow about 1000 miles per year. I have about 3" of spring travel. I set the cruise control and go. I have traveled through Canada and not encountered the spot checks mentioned on this forum but I'd probably be guilty. Coming from travel trailers on 1500s this tows like a dream. I don't disagree we may exceed the numbers by the book.
    Sue & Bill
    Lansing, NY
    2017 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are full-timing with a 2018 337RLS - towing it with a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Ext Cab, Std Bed, 6.6L Duramax. Yesterday was our 1 yr anniversary of life on the road, and we've traveled from the northeast to southwest, including a good deal of travel up and down the high passes of the Rockies. My only previous experience towing a large trailer was with a 1500 Silverado and a 27' travel trailer - a pretty uncomfortable towing configuration. For me, this setup has worked phenomenally, and I've felt confident towing it through a whole range of situations. The exhaust brake works great for managing speed on descents, and I have no problem maintaining good highway speeds on climbs. We've pulled our "home" out into some really nice boondocking spots off the paved roads.

As far as specs go, it seems really important to get the exact numbers for your specific tow vehicle. Things like cab type, bed length, drivetrain, etc. do seem to make a pretty big difference in ratings. Per the 2012 GMC Towing Guide for the configuration listed above, I've got a Max Trailer Weight of 16,400 lbs (vs GVWR of 13,995 lbs for the 337RLS). That guide also gives a max hitch weight of 3,500 lbs for a 5th wheel hitch (vs 2,174 for the 337RLS - though this may be an unloaded number).

Thanks to the O.P. This thread really got me to give a fresh look at everything. It was also an excellent reminder that I need to get back on the scales. We did it once during the chaotic start to our new life on the road, and I somehow lost the results before I got to "crunch the numbers". If I find anything way out of whack w.r.t. meeting the ratings, I'll be sure to report back.

uj

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejoey_vt View Post
    My wife and I are full-timing with a 2018 337RLS - towing it with a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Ext Cab, Std Bed, 6.6L Duramax. Yesterday was our 1 yr anniversary of life on the road, and we've traveled from the northeast to southwest, including a good deal of travel up and down the high passes of the Rockies. My only previous experience towing a large trailer was with a 1500 Silverado and a 27' travel trailer - a pretty uncomfortable towing configuration. For me, this setup has worked phenomenally, and I've felt confident towing it through a whole range of situations. The exhaust brake works great for managing speed on descents, and I have no problem maintaining good highway speeds on climbs. We've pulled our "home" out into some really nice boondocking spots off the paved roads.

As far as specs go, it seems really important to get the exact numbers for your specific tow vehicle. Things like cab type, bed length, drivetrain, etc. do seem to make a pretty big difference in ratings. Per the 2012 GMC Towing Guide for the configuration listed above, I've got a Max Trailer Weight of 16,400 lbs (vs GVWR of 13,995 lbs for the 337RLS). That guide also gives a max hitch weight of 3,500 lbs for a 5th wheel hitch (vs 2,174 for the 337RLS - though this may be an unloaded number).

Thanks to the O.P. This thread really got me to give a fresh look at everything. It was also an excellent reminder that I need to get back on the scales. We did it once during the chaotic start to our new life on the road, and I somehow lost the results before I got to "crunch the numbers". If I find anything way out of whack w.r.t. meeting the ratings, I'll be sure to report back.

uj
    Thanks, UncleJoey. Hope to cross paths on the road. How about the payload rating on your TV, similar to mine.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uj
    unclejoey......the most important number of any of the numbers associated with towing, is the payload number on the door sticker of your truck. Towing guides and brochure info mean almost absolutely nothing when towing a 5th wheel camping trailer. You will run out of payload capacity long before you hit the towing capacity numbers about 99 times out of 100. This is especially true of the 2500 series of trucks (all brands) if the truck is a diesel. So the GVWR of the 337RLS is right at 14,000 lbs and if that trailer is loaded to near or right at the GVWR of the trailer, you are going to have right at 2800 lbs of pin weight on the truck. When you add in the 5ver hitch (a traditional style hitch), passengers, etc, you will be north of 3000 lbs of weight on/in the truck. Most 3/4T diesels have a payload in the low 2000 lb range. You might want to check that sticker on the driver side door post and see what it reads.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy 2500HD Duramax pulling a 337RLS?

Ah...good info! Thanks for the clarification. Sticker is 2537 lbs, so yeah, looks like we'll be over. I'll get it on the scales next time we pull chocks to see how far off. Like I said, ZERO issues with handling or performance, so the ratings must have some conservatism in them.
    2018 GD Reflection 337RLS
    2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax - aka "Doug"
    Full-timing since Nov 2018
    https://thegreatmoldescape.com/

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah...good info! Thanks for the clarification. Sticker is 2537 lbs, so yeah, looks like we'll be over. I'll get it on the scales next time we pull chocks to see how far off. Like I said, ZERO issues with handling or performance, so the ratings must have some conservatism in them.
    Just make sure you do a two weigh process. First weigh will be your truck only, loaded like it would be when you are headed out to go camping. That will give you the weight on both the front axle (steer axle), and the rear axle. Then hook up to the trailer and go across the scales again. That ticket will give you the steer axle, the rear axle, and finally, the weight of the trailer axles. The weight difference of the truck between the first weight and the second weight will be how much more you are putting on the truck by towing the trailer. Depending on how heavily you load the trailer and where the loads are placed, will determine whether you are over the payload and if you are, then you are automatically over the GVWR of the truck. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info, thanks. Do you put all of the added weight in the RV down as "pin weight"? I thought that most of that weight went towards the GCVWR, and only a % add to the pin. I am learning more each comment. And I thought that I knew it all when I woke up this morn. Maybe not.
    Bill,
    I count any difference in the Rear axle weight between my 1st CAT scale without the RV and the 2nd weigh with the RV as pin weight. I load my TV, passengers, full tank of diesel, stuff in the bed and get my empty weight. Hook up the RV and weigh again.. The difference is pin weight. You will likely notice the front axle weigh may actually decrease when hooked up. Your 2nd weight ticket should list both axles for the truck and the axles for the trailer
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast