User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    They also do not say where they are made. They say Designed and engineered in USA by trojan.
    Ditchdigger,

I've been bugging the heck out of Trojan for warranty information which they do not have ready at this time. Very odd. I found another option that is also interesting....Tesla is selling power walls. I wonder if these are built with the same Japanese sourced cells as their cars?

https://www.tesla.com/energy
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have completed my solar/inverter project and will do a complete write up when I get a little more motivated. Basic list is 3300 watt inverter/charger with 3 100 AMP BB batteries and 1190 watts of solar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	17432
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I have completed my solar/inverter project and will do a complete write up when
    I get a little more motivated. Basic list is 3300 watt inverter/charger with 3 100 AMP BB batteries and 1190 watts of solar.

Nice!
    Great looking install sir. I especially like the rechargeable flashlight mounted on the battery rack "with power". That's a great idea.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I have completed my solar/inverter project and will do a complete write up when I get a little more motivated. Basic list is 3300 watt inverter/charger with 3 100 AMP BB batteries and 1190 watts of solar.

Look forward to reading it! I'm especially interested in why you chose the specific inverter/charger in your setup.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to go ahead and wire your electric water heater through your inverter.
    Did it while still in there rewiring. Thanks for the tip DMB.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Could be even larger gauge.
    Inverter cables are usually the largest b/c of the high amps.

I put 4/0 on my inverter to DC busbar. 2/0 for the batteries. 4 Awg for the Converter to DC busbar. Left the Converter to DC Panel at 6 Awg.
    I did almost the same thing. It just seems messed up to have #6 AWG running off in one direction from the converter and 2/0 going another direction to the inverter and batteries. No way I was going to fish bigger cable through the belly. Makes me feel better that someone else uses the same design. I'll let you know if mine catches fire.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Victron and Magnum are both considered “high-end” and priced accordingly. I paid $1900 for my Magnum Hybrid, but I believe you can find them for about $1700 if you shop around.
    One of the reasons I chose this model is the fact that it has a 125 amp charger built into it. I think they also make a 4000 watt Hybrid now as well.
    The model number of mine is MSH3012.

Someone asked above... Brian Boone was my installer and one thing that stands out is the massive cables. I forget what gauge it is but it’s as big as your thumb!

I think it’s 2 gauge welding cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a nice unit and there's a lot to be said for having everything rolled in to one package.

OTOH, I know everything I own is going to break sooner or later. I can live without an inverter for a couple of days and I can pick up a converter at any RV store. (In fact, I have a spare I could stick in there for a few days.) My ATS is a seperate unit that I could wire around without to much trouble. I envy the first class system you've built, but I think maintability should be a consideration just like all the other trade-offs we encounter in the design of a system like this.

Not sharpshooting you, just wondered what your thoughts are since you've been working on your system much longer than I have.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    That's a nice unit and there's a lot to be said for having everything rolled in to one package.

OTOH, I know everything I own is going to break sooner or later. I can live without an inverter for a couple of days and I can pick up a converter at any RV store. (In fact, I have a spare I could stick in there for a few days.) My ATS is a seperate unit that I could wire around without to much trouble. I envy the first class system you've built, but I think maintability should be a consideration just like all the other trade-offs we encounter in the design of a system like this.

Not sharpshooting you, just wondered what your thoughts are since you've been working on your system much longer than I have.
    I run a similar Magnum (without the hybrid part unfortunately), and debated whether to go separate or not. I decided all in one to clean up the install and shave a bit of weight maybe. It is easy enough to bypass the inverter with a couple of wirenuts if it or its transfer switch fails. What will slow me down is then what. If its just the ATS inside the inverter its going to be a lot harder to get that fixed than it would be to just replace an external one. That said I still decided to go the all in one route for simplicity.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battle Born Lithium

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post

No worries. Here’s my thought process...

I didn’t see the need to buy a separate charger because of the quality of this unit.

I generally buy high-end name-brand gear because it normally outlasts the cheaper stuff and is usually backed by a nice warranty with good customer service.

Odds are I’ll never have an issue with a $1900 inverter because it’s built to higher standards than a $600 inverter of the same output, but if I did, I’d have a replacement within a few days, and it would be a pleasant experience.

This is the same reason my portable generator is a Honda.

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-31-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to be a little late in chiming in here, but perhaps my experience might be helpful. I have a 310GK and like to boondock whenever I can. I have 960 watts of solar on the roof (3 panels at 320 watts each). They go through an MPPT controller, and are connected to a 3000watt/120 amp inverter/charger. For batteries I have 3 BB LiFPo for a useable 300 AH. Other than the BB batteries, all the equipment is Victron, including a battery monitor.

I had this all installed on Dec 5, 2018. From then to today, March 11, 2019, I've run my Honda genset one time for a total of one hour. I've spent approximately 10 days in campgrounds in that time, the rest has been dry camping, the longest stretch of which has been three weeks in the Anza Borrego desert. I've only gone to campgrounds for water and dumping, or when I had some business in an urban area.

I watch TV typically 3 to 4 hours a day, and use my toaster and occasionally my microwave. When it's cold, I run the furnace, which uses a lot of power, although I run the fridge on propane. It's a rare morning that I end up more than 65 AH down, and if there's any sun, I'm back to 100% charge by noon. I've seen my panels put out 979 watts, which at about 14 volts works out to 70 amps. I've routinely seen the panels put 30 to 40 amps into the batteries when they were at 95% charged, then at 100% the system goes to about 1 amp. Pricey? Yep. It allows to live the lifestyle I like, though, and it's made a huge difference. Prior to the panels and the good charger I was running the Honda over two hours a day through the factory converter/charger just to get 180AH of FLA up to 80%. No TV with the old system either.

For what it's worth, they were selling BB batteries at Quartzsite for $860, and I paid under $900 each for mine.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Ford F350 CC, SB, SRW 4X4 with the 6.7 L diesel
    Pull Rite 18K superglide

James and his more or less faithful sidekick, Indy the Rescue Dog

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast