User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you using a TPMS with the Westlake tires on the 22MLE, what do you set as the max/min pressures? I see the Max cold pressure listed on the side of the trailer is 65psi. Where do you set the high pressure warning at? 65psi, or higher? I set it at 70ps and it kept going off on our first trip. And a value for low pressure warning? I’ve searched for detailed specs for this tire and not found anything. Thanks
    Rob and Joyce
    Grayslake IL
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Ford F150 XLT 3.5L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Westlakes are a "Great Tire"? but don't go over 65 MPH

One could interpret your comment as possibly positive.

Westlake tires are seriously flawed, given my research on Chinese owned tire-makers. In fact, Westlake is owned by China-based Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company. They produce four of the most notorious branded tires on the market, one of which is Westlake.

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/4-tire-companies-to-avoid
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/chinese-truck-tires-are-no-bargain/index.htm

If anyone wants to read more, just search Westlake; China Tires; etc, etc. Get a bottle of your favorite beverage or snack, and enjoy.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people group all Westlake tires together and call them junk. That is unfortunate. If you go back and read the hundreds of posts about these tires across multiple RV forums you'll learn that the "E" rated Westlake tires are the ones that were susceptible to problems and even then it was usually because the tires were mismatched with a heavy RV. Grand Design used "E" rated Westlake tires on their heavy Momentum and Solitude models for a while and that was problematic.

The "G" rated Westlake tires have been very reliable even in heavy applications. They are not all junk!
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-17-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other issue with the E's is they're only rated to 75mph. Drive over that and you get what you get...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    The other issue with the E's is they're only rated to 75mph.
    I wouldn't pull any trailer at 75mph so that's not a problem.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I would suggest that those who lump all Westlakes in the junk pile have VERY good reason to do so, and that the reputation of Chinese tire companies and Chinese owned tire brands deserves this treatment. It is not just putting underrated tires on heavy trailers. The reputation for junk Chinese tires extends to the automotive and trucking industry, and I fell victim to a set of 4 Chinese made tires for our Solara 5 years ago, 4 tires which were impossible to balance and out of round.

The problems with Chinese owned tire brands have been going on for decades. While good tires are made in China (by US, Japanese, Korean, and European owned/licensed factories), Chinese owned brands made by Chinese owned firms are highly problematic. Of considerable note is Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company, maker of Westlake. It is called out as a manufacturer to avoid by several publications.

Furthermore, when Consumer Reports tested several Chinese owned and branded automobile tires, the best that could be said was that they were better than worn out old tires. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, and why would anyone think that if these guys can't make a decent car tire that their trailer or truck tires are any better???

There is one exception. SAILUN. It appears that SAILUN has gained SOME respectability in the last few years.

But.... if you have some time and want to fully understand why my Westlakes are coming off before our next trip... take a look at these links:

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/
    https://www.tirereview.com/buyer-bew...uality-levels/
    https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsu...jury-death.php
    https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=3463197&page=1
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...gain/index.htm
    https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...anies-to-avoid

And that is just to start. Do some Google searches comparing Non-Chinese tires to Chinese brands and its shocking. Not just for trailer tires, but for automotive and heavy trucks.

I can't understand why anyone would put these things on. You'd be better off with a set of quality used tires by any name brand.

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    A lot of people group all Westlake tires together and call them junk. That is unfortunate. If you go back and read the hundreds of posts about these tires across multiple RV forums you'll learn that the "E" rated Westlake tires are the ones that were susceptible to problems and even then it was usually because the tires were mismatched with a heavy RV. Grand Design used "E" rated Westlake tires on their heavy Momentum and Solitude models for a while and that was problematic.

The "G" rated Westlake tires have been very reliable even in heavy applications. They are not all junk!
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I would suggest that those who lump all Westlakes in the junk pile have VERY good reason to do so
    It sounds like you've done your research. Could you share all the links you found relating to "G" rated Westlake tire failures? That would be much appreciated by all the forum members here.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you've done your research. Could you share all the links you found relating to "G" rated Westlake tire failures? That would be much appreciated by all the forum members here.
    I came across no review or ratings that provide separate ratings or reviews by load or speed rating for any line of tires. What I have found is frightening enough for me: The Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company specifically is called out for low quality tires across the line. And Westlake is named as a brand to avoid across the board. I suspect this is why GD is offering other brands.

See: https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/ for a very recent article on Hangzhou specifically.

Although the Westlake brand is not specifically named by Consumer Reports, other brands produced by the same company are. This is the best that CR could say about Chinese tires: Certainly if you are on tight budget, and who isn’t nowadays, buying a cheap tire is better than riding on worn-out tires. But as our tests show, buying bargain-priced tires such as these Chinese models isn’t the right choice for the long haul.

Again I argue that if this company can't produce a quality car tire, what makes us want to risk our trailers with them? The reviews and comments I've found for automotive and non trailer tires made by Chinese companies provide enough evidence (to me) that I don't want this company's tires on any of my vehicles. Even if they are no longer "blowing up", reviewers have found that this company's tires don't have the same grip, stopping distances, tread life, puncture resistance, etc...

Again, if they can't make a decent car or truck tire, why do we want their tires on our trailers????
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 05-17-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I came across no review or ratings that provide separate ratings or reviews by load or speed rating for any line of tires. What I have found is frightening enough for me: The Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company specifically is called out for low quality tires across the line. And Westlake is named as a brand to avoid across the board. I suspect this is why GD is offering other brands.

See: https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/ for a very recent article on Hangzhou specifically.

Although the Westlake brand is not specifically named by Consumer Reports, other brands produced by the same company are. This is the best that CR could say about Chinese tires: Certainly if you are on tight budget, and who isn’t nowadays, buying a cheap tire is better than riding on worn-out tires. But as our tests show, buying bargain-priced tires such as these Chinese models isn’t the right choice for the long haul.

Again I argue that if this company can't produce a quality car tire, what makes us want to risk our trailers with them? The reviews and comments I've found for automotive and non trailer tires made by Chinese companies provide enough evidence (to me) that I don't want this company's tires on any of my vehicles. Even if they are no longer "blowing up", reviewers have found that this company's tires don't have the same grip, stopping distances, tread life, puncture resistance, etc...

Again, if they can't make a decent car or truck tire, why do we want their tires on our trailers????
    The failure rate due to the tire and not user abuse I believe is less than .5 percent

The only thing I agree with is that other tires likely take abuse more than westlakes

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Brian - other than the one link (short on detail and specifics), all the other links shared are the "old news" which has been shared ad nauseam here on this forum for several years over and over relative to the defective gum strip issues of a decade plus ago

It is really a dis-service to members (especially new members) to be sharing outdated information which is not applicable to current generation Westlake trailer ST tires and other Chineses equivalents.

Relative to the Westlake G tire failure question, I do not recall even one post on the forum regarding a failure. Many of us would appreciate factual information on G failures to learn more, of course if it exists.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast