User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have your axle seals failed?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my seals failed and I had grease on the brakes

246 70.09%
  • No, my seals have not failed

48 13.68%
  • I'm not sure

57 16.24%
Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1077
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting conversation...

Had a 4 wheel drum brake Land Cruiser that had a little grease contaminate a front brake. That brake would grab and groan. The grease basically turned to paste from the brake dust and road dust. Replace shoes and cleaned drum immaculately problem solved.

Have seen where shade tree mechanics did brakes and greasy fingers touched drums shoes and wiped off (probably with a greasy rag) and that seems to cause brake chattering/binding at slow speeds.

Have you seen an old tractor where the joints were lubed and is now a solid glue. Have seen grease on leading edges of shoes like that.

Here is an interesting article on what can happen to grease: https://www.machinerylubrication.com...dry-out-causes

All I can say about doing brakes is, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, no contamination of any kind.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article Pat. I never knew why this happened but that I have seen this a few times years ago when I wrenched on trucks and heavy equipment for a living back then. It makes sense that some chemical properties occurred such as the oils dropping out and leaving a tacky surface to attract dirt and cause the grabbing. The brake(s) I experienced would grab violently. However, a fresh contamination of the magnet or pads could result in reduced braking so its uncertain how long it takes for this process to occur.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A perfect example of some contaminants causing a brake lock-up is a car or truck with a leaky axle seal. You get gear lube on the brakes and those brakes will lock up if you even barely touch the brake pedal.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we picked up our 2018 310GK from the dealer in Longmont CO, I immediately noticed the brakes were horrible. My truck at the time only had 2000 miles on it, but thankfully had a great exhaust brake. I asked the service department at the dealership if they had any experience with greasy brakes and they told me no. The service adviser told me the brakes needed to break in. I through up the B.S. flag, but figured I would see how the brakes did on my 400 mile drive home. I had my gain set on 10 and I could barely feel any braking at all. I tried applying the brakes manually and couldn't feel much. My truck is smart and if it detects a wiring problem, it will show an error message on the dash. No messages. When I got home, I contacted Grand Design and Lippert. Lippert authorized me to remove the hubs to check for grease contamination on the brakes. Since I own a tire repair shop, they agreed to pay my shop rate. The first two hubs I pulled looked perfect, no issues. I thought I was mistaken in my diagnosis until I pulled the second two hubs. Both were covered in grease. Lippert sent me two new backing plates and eventually reimbursed my labor costs not to exceed 2 hours of labor to replace the brakes. Now, the labor is not even close to cover washing out the grease from the hubs and bearings, but at least it was done right now. Then I was contacted by Grand Design and they told me I should have received all 4 backing plates, so they sent me the others. I completed the repairs and made a two hundred mile trip into the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. Going down 10 miles of 7% grades quickly showed me how poor the trailer brakes were and how good my truck's exhaust brake was. When I got home, I told my wife I wanted to replace these junk brakes with disc brakes. I ordered a Kodiak disc brake kit and haven't looked back since. My brakes are awesome now. I filed a report with the NTSB. In my opinion a class action lawsuit should have been filed against Lippert. How many trailers are still out there that the owners don't know about the brakes.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's time we moved into the 21st century. I'd like to see disc brakes as standard equipment on any trailer with a gross weight over 10,000 lbs.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passenger side front and rear seals leaked. Brakes are full of grease. Found this while installing disc brakes and the sre4000 suspension and have duty shackle kit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides grease on three of my six brake drums, I also had one brake shoe that had a large portion of the brake shoe lining missing. Has anybody else found brake shoe lining missing? Here's a link to the photos of what Performance Trailer Braking found on my 376TH when they were changing my rig to disc brakes.....

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post130152
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you have a major seal fail, do you have to replace everything including the backing plate? Are the shoes alone replaceable?

I ask because I bought my used 2016 350M out of state, and I have it in a shop here for state vehicle inspection. Shop called to tell me all 4 hub assemblies have heavy grease contamination and they need to replace the entire assemblies up to and including the backing plates.

I knew the brakes were soft, I figured they just needed adjusted
    http://nortek3d.com/rv/towhome_small2.jpg
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2018 RAM 3500 SRW CTD 6.7
    2007 Harley Ultra Classic - the toy in the Hauler.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tourrider View Post
    When you have a major seal fail, do you have to replace everything including the backing plate? Are the shoes alone replaceable?

I ask because I bought my used 2016 350M out of state, and I have it in a shop here for state vehicle inspection. Shop called to tell me all 4 hub assemblies have heavy grease contamination and they need to replace the entire assemblies up to and including the backing plates.

I knew the brakes were soft, I figured they just needed adjusted
    tourrider - You could just replace the shoes and clean everything else . . . but the whole backing plate assembly is the standard "service kit". You would probably pay as much for just the shoes as you will for the whole assembly through etrailer or similar.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 LastLast