User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have your axle seals failed?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my seals failed and I had grease on the brakes

246 70.09%
  • No, my seals have not failed

48 13.68%
  • I'm not sure

57 16.24%
Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1077
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you from experience that it's not cheap to have a shop clean them and put them back on. Have them give you a quote for the labor to do it, then check into the cost to have disc brakes installed. You'll find out you're about half-way towards new disc brakes. THEY ARE WORLDS BETTER!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    tourrider - You could just replace the shoes and clean everything else . . . but the whole backing plate assembly is the standard "service kit". You would probably pay as much for just the shoes as you will for the whole assembly through etrailer or similar.

Rob
    And that's exactly what the service manager told me.

Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I can tell you from experience that it's not cheap to have a shop clean them and put them back on. Have them give you a quote for the labor to do it, then check into the cost to have disc brakes installed. You'll find out you're about half-way towards new disc brakes. THEY ARE WORLDS BETTER!
    They quoted me $1050.00 parts and labor to replace all four. What would a disk setup with elect/hydraulic actuators cost?
    http://nortek3d.com/rv/towhome_small2.jpg
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2018 RAM 3500 SRW CTD 6.7
    2007 Harley Ultra Classic - the toy in the Hauler.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tourrider - You could just replace the shoes and clean everything else . . . but the whole backing plate assembly is the standard "service kit". You would probably pay as much for just the shoes as you will for the whole assembly through etrailer or similar.

Rob
    I’m with Rob, changing shoes will save little if anything and not worth the frustration.

Shoes typically run $35 - $40 a wheel, the complete assembly for manual adjusting brakes like found on a 2016 run $45 - $65 per wheel, add another $20 or so per wheel for self adjusting brakes.

Besides the frustration level another advantage to changing the assembly is every thing is new.

If I never change a set of brake shoes again...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tourrider View Post

They quoted me $1050.00 parts and labor to replace all four. What would a disk setup with elect/hydraulic actuators cost?
    I used Performance Trailer Braking in Oklahoma. for my Reflection 313RLTS it was about $1,875 for the parts and then $1,000 for labor to install them. They actually sent a guy right to my home in Ft. Myers, FL to do the installation. That was included in the $1,000 labor.
    Last edited by jim1521; 01-03-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$2,000-$3000 installed.

I bought the kit from https://stopyourtrailer.com for about $1,400. They recommended a local shop near me to install the kit for $600 in labor.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Kodiak disk brake kit and hoses and actuator and spent around 1500.00 and a day installing. Best mod I ever made.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tourrider - See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tem-Hydraulics for the scope of the work to change from electric drum to electric-over-hydraulic disc.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tourrider - See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tem-Hydraulics for the scope of the work to change from electric drum to electric-over-hydraulic disc.

Rob
    This is perfect. I am going to do this in the spring. For now I'm letting the shop replace all the brakes and service the bearings so I can get my plates and registration. I hate letting people do work that I am perfectly capable of doing, but since it's already sitting in their shop.....

I will do the disk upgrade myself. Probably look close at the suspension while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    http://nortek3d.com/rv/towhome_small2.jpg
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2018 RAM 3500 SRW CTD 6.7
    2007 Harley Ultra Classic - the toy in the Hauler.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is perfect. I am going to do this in the spring. For now I'm letting the shop replace all the brakes and service the bearings so I can get my plates and registration. I hate letting people do work that I am perfectly capable of doing, but since it's already sitting in their shop.....

I will do the disk upgrade myself. Probably look close at the suspension while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Lots of depth and breadth of experience on this forum on just about anything suspension or brake system related. Many of these discussions can be found by entering key words into the search tool in the upper right corner . . . but if you can't find something specific that you are looking for, just ask .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Reach out directly to Lippert. I had this problem, and when Emily was over at LCI, she was able to get me a full refund for the amount that I had to pay the shop to clean the brakes. Over $1,000. Also, go out to NHTSA and fill out a complaint about this safety problem. We've all been doing it, as it's a known safety issue that is being ignored by both LCI and GDRV.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108 LastLast