User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bad Luck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your kind words. Brakes just failed again on our trip today so we will be contacting GD.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they spec the springs for “just enough to get through warranty” or are they spec’d for “ this is a huge unit, let’s go 15% over just enough to get through 15 years”

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    All stuff grand Design doesn’t have anything to do with
    They just assemble them
    Grand Design has everything to do with it. They need to take 100% responsibility for their product. They choose their suppliers, and should be holding their feet to the fire when they supply sub-par components.

Don't give them a pass just because they didn't manufacture the parts themselves. I don't do that for Refrigerators, Automobiles, TVs, etc, etc, and I will not do that for RVs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t buy GD for its quality. I bought for its features and it is one of the cheapest
    I don’t understand why people feel GD is of higher quality than other manufacturers
    I will say that so far between Jayco and GD, the customer service at GD is a million times better
    We moved to GD from Thor, and the difference in quality is huge. Not sure what people are calling "cheap", but I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justusdj View Post
    We moved to GD from Thor, and the difference in quality is huge. Not sure what people are calling "cheap", but I guess it's a matter of perspective.
    I moved from Jayco and Imagine is made with cheaper materials
    Just the two biggest things are the cabinets and countertops
    But that is the reason Grand Design is less expensive than most and I am fine with that
    It isn’t as much here but there must be 20 posts a day on social media of people bashing GD because they “expected more from a quality trailer”
    Imo they are not the best but so far their customer service is

Btw moving from Thor is a broad statement
    They have multiple lines ranging from dirt cheap to Tiffin and Vanleigh

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring source?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    I agree with 3 7000lb should be ok. Mine only has two 7000lb. When loaded with 1500 lbs. in garage, 1/2 full fridge and full week of clothes ea. axle has 6900 lbs. on them. This is with no fresh water, no gas in toy hauler tank and 1/2 tank in generator. That's all I can do to stay under my 16'800 GVW. Problem is it's not a balanced load. The kitchen slide is heavy and more weight on that side and flattens the springs.
    I was just going to put 8000lb springs on myself but have not found any with the 25 1/4 in eye to eye. They are 26" still looking.
    This company is across the USA from you but may be able to ship. I have not used them for 20 some years but they custom made springs for a Chevelle I had, a truck that hauled oil barrels on one side and needed each side of truck capable of different carrying capacity and they made springs for railcars for a company I worked for. Every experience with them was positive.
    There may be a similar maunfacturer closer to you. www.benzspring.com

BENZ SPRING COMPANY
    A DIVISION OF J&J AMUSEMENTS, INC.
    4897 INDIAN SCHOOL ROAD NE, SUITE 150
    SALEM, OREGON, USA. 97305
    NEW CONTACT NUMBERS FOR BENZ CUSTOMERS.
    USA AND CANADA:
    PHONE: 1-800-854-3140
    FAX: 1-800-366-7505
    INTERNATIONAL:
    PHONE: 1-503-304-8899
    FAX: 1-503-304-1899
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff&Kam View Post
    Okay Grand Design, enough is enough. 2018 399th. 2 pin boxes, brake failures every trip, bad controller, hydraulic line burned by brakes, brake magnets failed and now sitting in a truck stop with a broken leaf spring on a 4 year old camper. Bad luck? Maybe so.
    I hope bad luck and not foreshadowing my future. Sorry dude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved from Jayco and Imagine is made with cheaper materials
    Just the two biggest things are the cabinets and countertops
    But that is the reason Grand Design is less expensive than most and I am fine with that
    It isn’t as much here but there must be 20 posts a day on social media of people bashing GD because they “expected more from a quality trailer”
    Imo they are not the best but so far their customer service is

Btw moving from Thor is a broad statement
    They have multiple lines ranging from dirt cheap to Tiffin and Vanleigh

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    The reason we did not buy from Jayco is because the cabinet doors were so flimsy. And the outside basement door not much better. Maybe we were looking at a cheaper model. GD was much better.

Lance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Glogowsky View Post
    The reason we did not buy from Jayco is because the cabinet doors were so flimsy. And the outside basement door not much better. Maybe we were looking at a cheaper model. GD was much better.

Lance
    Don’t know what I’m doing wrong not to show my information. I would be afraid to buy a new trailer or to upgrade my 2018 303 being afraid of all the Bugs we’d have to work out of it. . We have the bugs worked out of this one.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A spring isn’t a big deal and who knows how it broke

It went 4 years working fine so it wasn’t defective when you bought it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    That's utter nonsense. I used to work in a metallurgy lab and one of my jobs was inspecting rod coils before they were drawn down to wire.

I had a Toyota minivan that had a coil spring that broke after 8 years. It happened while driving in my subdivision and was able to find and inspect the piece that broke off. What I found was a huge carbon inclusion that formed a weak spot. A year or two later another spring broke. Faulty material plain and simple.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast