User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    That’s interesting.
    Maybe I’ll tow mine with the slider back, on a short trip, and see if I notice any difference.
    Thanks
    Hi Ed,

I don't know what kind of hitch you have, but my Reese instructions are very specific about not towing in the rearward "maneuver" position. I expect that this has to do with how the slide is latched to the slide rails. Note that towdriver says that his was "pinned" in that position . . . that would be different. I would worry about the hitch coming forward in a heavy braking situation at highway speed . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed,

Towing with the hitch in the rear position will definitely unload your front axle. It most likely will negatively effect handling and braking. A few years ago I had a F250 and a slider hitch. In the rearward position it would negatively effect handling but I had a much heavier trailer than yours. I would only tow mine a few hundred feet at very low speeds in this position. I would be very careful trying it on a highway.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will admit that in the very early weeks of owning a 5th wheel for the first time and trying to figure everything out, I accidentally towed our 303 back to the dealer (about 60 kms at up to 90 km/h) with the slider in the aft position. Yikes! I can't say that I noticed any handling difference. And . . . this is with an F150! And (as we came to learn later) this was with heavily greased trailer brakes!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to weigh the axles with the hitch in each position to see the difference.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    That’s interesting.
    Maybe I’ll tow mine with the slider back, on a short trip, and see if I notice any difference.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would highly suggest that you don't tow with it back in the maneuvering position. Mine was modified so it could not be slid ahead without pushing it between two bulldozers lol. It had blocks welded to the slide frame to prevent it from going forward during hard braking, factory the lock is very weak and could break during a hard break causing the hitch to slide ahead probably very violently. My truck also had air ride rear axle so they was no squat when loaded as it just kept adding air to keep it level and maintain front axle loading and steering.
    With doing what I did I was voiding every warning and manufacturer recommendation and was taking a huge liability on myself if anything was ever to happen. I knew what I was getting into before I ever set mine up the way I did and knew what I was doing wrong but trusted my setup and welds after being a mechanic and welder for 22 years. I would still be in deep deep ******** though if anything ever did happen. Since then that truck has been replaced with a newer truck and factory installed 5th wheel and I no longer move campers other then my own

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    We have a 150 series 290BH, using a standard bed on the 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD TV, and have never used the turning point. The rig is short enough to maneuver into very tight spaces.

We are also using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch (with absolutely no complaints against it, whatsoever!).

I suppose we could use the turning point, but I haven't seen a need, thus far.
    How tight can you turn with that hitch. Getting ready to buy a same camper i do a lot of mountain camping off trail.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    used it on both of our Rockwoods and loved it ... get the wedge to match your hitch ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should follow up with this post (forgot that I started it actually) We towed over 2,000 miles last season with the turning point & loved it! About mid way through the season I replaced the stock wedge with one designed for the B&W with a massive improvement in towing feel. Ends up that the stock wedge was a little undersized for the B&W, during turns the wedge would slide a little causing a clunk until it filled the air gap enough to initiate the turn. Also, there was a binding in my turning point since new so when I brought the trailer in for other warranty issues they removed the plate & repaired the issue. I’m picking the trailer up within the next few weeks so I’ll have a better idea of what needed to be done to rectify the situation.

Overall though I am more than pleased with the performance of the turning point, easy to maneuver while backing up & rock solid stable while driving down the highway.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are new to the GD forums so some questions for the more experienced on the tuning point pinbox... We purchased the 268BH over the weekend and have been looking at hitches for the truck, 2019 F350 CCLB 6.7. My understanding on the pinbox is there is a lockout so to operate as a standard pinbox, correct? I emailed GD about switching out the pinbox during the build (ordered the Dual Pane windows). The reply was the 150 Series turning point pinbox cannot be changed out to a standard box. I had initially looked at the Goosebox GEN 2 but since the turning point is the only box, that went out the window...still looking at hitches also. The Pullright Superlite is attractive as is the Andersen...the Chief will be using the truck/trailer when I am working so the lighter the better..��

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    We are new to the GD forums so some questions for the more experienced on the tuning point pinbox... We purchased the 268BH over the weekend and have been looking at hitches for the truck, 2019 F350 CCLB 6.7. My understanding on the pinbox is there is a lockout so to operate as a standard pinbox, correct? I emailed GD about switching out the pinbox during the build (ordered the Dual Pane windows). The reply was the 150 Series turning point pinbox cannot be changed out to a standard box. I had initially looked at the Goosebox GEN 2 but since the turning point is the only box, that went out the window...still looking at hitches also. The Pullright Superlite is attractive as is the Andersen...the Chief will be using the truck/trailer when I am working so the lighter the better..��
    It can be locked out and used with any hitch ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast