User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    We had plans for going to Zion this summer, but may just stay away because of this. I've got a special needs daughter who won't live by a rigid schedule, so I guess we'll go in the off-season..

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Morning Lane Hog
    when we were at Zion two years ago they were operating a "Hop on, Hop off" shuttle program. Go at your own pace, take as much time as you want and then move on. No one herding you. Same at RMNP, Grand Canyon, Glacier. Before you give it up, double check the current process.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had plans for going to Zion this summer, but may just stay away because of this. I've got a special needs daughter who won't live by a rigid schedule, so I guess we'll go in the off-season..
    I live less than an hour from Zion and visit multiple times a year. 4 years ago I took my mother who requires a walker.

If your daughter allows you a disabled parking placard, you can take it into the Visitors' Center and get a "Red Pass" that allows you to drive up the main canyon during the times which are normally shuttle-only. There will be plenty of parking available most days when the shuttles are operating.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Zion last week. For the portion of the road that goes up towards the lodge/narrows/angel's landing, you can either take a shuttle or you can park at the visitor center and walk/bike up. Shuttle tickets are released in two groups, months ahead of time and again at 5PM the day before. You have to reserve your preferred hour between 7AM and 2PM, and each hour window has ~350 tickets. We were very careful to have the reservation webpage preloaded and on-screen right at 5, as we'd been warned tickets sell quickly. The 8AM slot was gone within 5-10 minutes.

We were able to get our preferred 8AM slot, and we showed up in line right on time. There are a couple benefits to the limit, namely that the shuttle line is virtually non-existent early in the day and that the valley is, for the most part, not crowded. Moving between stops inside the valley required almost no waiting if you do it by shuttle. I did hike to angel's landing around 9:30 or 10 and by then there were enough people even with the ticketing that it was very crowded, but other hikes that day were more sparse.

Lane Hog, if it's helpful, you don't have to arrive at the top of your hour. You can get in line/on the bus over the hour-long range.
    Chris, Tara, our two daughters, and our dog Slate full-timing
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I do not know what your daughter special needs are, but I do not see this as "a rigid schedule" just have to plan a head to make the reservation. Since for many people going to a National Park involves travel long distances and typically require some sort of reservation for lodging whether a camp ground or hotel, requiring advanced planning. Adding one more reservation to the mix should not be a big deal.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom line is that there are just too many darned people on the planet.
    The problems caused by this are obvious, but the simple statement you made is just not understandable to the vast majority of the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    We were in Zion last week. For the portion of the road that goes up towards the lodge/narrows/angel's landing, you can either take a shuttle or you can park at the visitor center and walk/bike up. Shuttle tickets are released in two groups, months ahead of time and again at 5PM the day before. You have to reserve your preferred hour between 7AM and 2PM, and each hour window has ~350 tickets. We were very careful to have the reservation webpage preloaded and on-screen right at 5, as we'd been warned tickets sell quickly. The 8AM slot was gone within 5-10 minutes.

We were able to get our preferred 8AM slot, and we showed up in line right on time. There are a couple benefits to the limit, namely that the shuttle line is virtually non-existent early in the day and that the valley is, for the most part, not crowded. Moving between stops inside the valley required almost no waiting if you do it by shuttle. I did hike to angel's landing around 9:30 or 10 and by then there were enough people even with the ticketing that it was very crowded, but other hikes that day were more sparse.

Lane Hog, if it's helpful, you don't have to arrive at the top of your hour. You can get in line/on the bus over the hour-long range.
    I would also add that shuttle tickets are free from 2-4, but the line is long. We’re currently in Zion. I think the shuttles make it a more enjoyable experience without the hordes of automobiles. My one complaint is that once you return to the visitor’s center, you cannot re-enter the park on that day’s shuttle ticket. So you have to plan carefully to spend the entire day in the park.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yellowstone National Park was established in 1872 when the population of the United States was about 38.5 million. There were few visitors from overseas at that time and most US citizens didn't venture farther than 5 miles into town from the farm to buy supplies. Per the 2020 census, there are now 332,639,000 people in the US. On top of that, the last time we visited a national park (2019), it seemed to me that at least 1/3 of the visitors were from Europe and Asia. The bottom line is that there are just too many darned people on the planet. Personally, I haven't camped in a National Park since the late '70s. We now stay outside the parks and enter the parks in our car. Between the choice of letting the hoards trash the parks or limiting access, which would you choose?

Rob
    Our National Parks have been overused and loved to death! Yes it's restrictive and will probably be more so, but I it should be preserved in the most pristine condition as possible.

Cheers
    "TEXAS, the greatest Nation that became a State"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe all the changes coming to some National Parks are due to be implemented in May sometime. Those visiting recently will not experience any change in the policy. To be told exactly what day and WHAT HOUR just really takes a lot from the experience especially since I must apply for this entrance pass weeks ahead of time!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12