Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s one on every forum.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Common sense and personal experience would trump any article he could find.

There are so many posters on here with similar anecdotal experience you challenging continually in what they say, and see in every day usage is hard to understand. Those like he and I who have towed with the two different type trucks can see the safety and ease factors. Not to mention it is borne out in payload capacity metrics of the vehicles. A measurement most take seriously. I throw my opinion with there’s. One you go from towing a trailer close to exceeding you tv payload limit to a tow vehicle which is designed to meet or exceed your payload limits it’s apparent to a novice .

It also makes sense when you strain a vehicle it may not show immediately but over time will have a negative effect. Common sense is it’s own metric sometimes.
    Like I have said time and time again I am within the specs of my truck
    I just don’t see how my brakes lt tires engine and transmission will wear out faster than a gmc 2500

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello NB Canada, I don’t have an article proving this, my post is based on my personal experience towing travel trailers. I have towed to campsites 45 minutes, 2 hours, 6 hours and 10 hours away from home in different weather conditions. My goal is to help this newbie rv’er make a better decision on what tow vehicle and rv to purchase as I was once a newbie myself and learned as I went along.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2010 Ford Expedition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    @hkmurray920 after reading what you plan to take plus passenger weights including dogs and hitch weight for either trailer (13% of trailer GVWR), I agree with needing a 2500.

We have a XLS 22mle that looks similar to the 240ML except a few ft shorter with rear kitchen and we have not had any issues with tongue weight being too light.
    We have the 22MLE as well and no issues with not having enough tongue weight. The only outside storage you have is the pass through on the tongue...so weight is not an issue
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealing with this truck/tongue/trailer capacity issue currently. I added an inverter over the holidays and the wiring and some wood structural support. Any tips other than put as much in the rear of the rv as you can and stay under the gvw and keep 10% on the tongue? I'm confident we are good currently with some adjustments to how we pack.

Boondocking is another story. I'm wondering about weight distribution between tongue and axles when I add fresh water for boondocking and then off course having capacity for the generator.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    Dealing with this truck/tongue/trailer capacity issue currently. I added an inverter over the holidays and the wiring and some wood structural support. Any tips other than put as much in the rear of the rv as you can and stay under the gvw and keep 10% on the tongue? I'm confident we are good currently with some adjustments to how we pack.

Boondocking is another story. I'm wondering about weight distribution between tongue and axles when I add fresh water for boondocking and then off course having capacity for the generator.
    You should never intentionally load items in the rear to lighten the tongue

It is always better to have it heavier than lighter

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refclown View Post
    We have the 22MLE as well and no issues with not having enough tongue weight. The only outside storage you have is the pass through on the tongue...so weight is not an issue
    Let’s see here :
    In our pass through we have three 65 lb Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM, a 45 lb Victron Multiplus inverter charger, about 40 ft of 4 gauge wire at 30 lbs, . And 3-4 normal bins with water supplies, hoses, valves filters, surge protector , 2-25 ft 30 am cords at 30 lbs apiece plus lots of electrical dog bones, adapters, chocks, wheel chocks, power drill and driver plus 4- 6 amp 20 volt batteries and charger. 50 lbs of tools. A Magma grill, a folding table and chairs, a 9x9 rug. Easily 450 to 500 lbs and most is required.

On top are 2 45 lb 190 solar panels. 3 20 lb propane tanks. Spare tire. None of this accounts for inside supplies . None of this counts in the 52 gallons of water when we boondock.

It’s easy to have lots of lb after the hitch. Very few people I see have empty pass through#
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You should never intentionally load items in the rear to lighten the tongue

It is always better to have it heavier than lighter

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Huh? Nothing wrong with adding weight in the rear to keep your tongue weight below tow vehicle restrictions as well as keeping it in the sweet spot to minimize sway.

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be better to be lighter and within limits versus heavier and outside limits.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Huh? Nothing wrong with adding weight in the rear to keep your tongue weight below tow vehicle restrictions as well as keeping it in the sweet spot to minimize sway.

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be better to be lighter and within limits versus heavier and outside limits.
    This is completely wrong

You should never adjust TW to fit a tow vehicle. TW needs to be based on trailer weight

Light tongue weights are almost 100 percent responsible for sway. Heavy tongues do not sway

Physics don’t allow it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm talking about putting food in the fridge and our duffle bags on the floor of the TT versus in the bed of the truck. I don't think that is unusual.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast