User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy this is quite the journey!! Ok upped the springs to the 2200# on the 3500# axle, no lift kit but upped the tires to 225/75 15. Rides nicer now! Dont want to overkill on the axles so going with the 44K Dexters and their set up and ok with the electric brakes. But that will be after our big rip in May. Stay tuned!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    A very easy way to look at it - any possibility you may want disc brakes? If so, skip the 44s and go straight to 52s.
    Ah. I didn't know you could get discs on the D52. Luckily, I have D44s, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB + 2022 Duramax Tahoe RST (previous 2017 MBZ GLS450 burnt to the ground, resulting in destroyed garage and house contents a total loss due to smoke damage)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh forgot to say also adding the Morryde wet bolt kit. After pulling the old springs, note to all...those plastic bushings were just about gone. Most of the springs had worn thru the plastic bushing so it was metal on metal after about 10K miles. Yikes!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a stupid question, but what am I looking for? Obviously if something is broken it should be obvious. Same for one side being lower then the other I would guess. What else should I be observing? Thanks!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but what am I looking for? Obviously if something is broken it should be obvious. Same for one side being lower then the other I would guess. What else should I be observing? Thanks!
    Big one - torqued bolts throughout. The key here is to get under and torque everything to specification and then match-mark the bolt head/nut position to the fixed mount with marking paint. That way your inspection is visual thereafter. You also want to make sure the axle tubes still have crowns up. Check your tires for uneven wear, look for slung grease on the inside of your wheels, make sure lugnuts remain torqued. Carefully look at your spring hangers and make sure they remain vertical and not pushed to one side or the other. Keep an eye on cushioned equalizers to make sure the rubber is in good shape.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I would have never thought about checking the suspension until a problem had developed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting the 2200# springs, new bearing kits, and service kits installed, I went down to put the 225/75 15 load E tires on. Nice ride for sure and I gained at least 2” in height. Rolled thru the scales to see what with load did it equate to: Truck and passengers - 8500#, truck and trailer loaded - 15880#. Looks like the payload is 1500#. Not sure about that one. So guess a toothbrush is about all I can pack!! I am installing the Morryde wet bolt kit at the dealer. Still have the 3500# Lippert axles.
    Last edited by Dpboofay; 04-03-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Big one - torqued bolts throughout. The key here is to get under and torque everything to specification and then match-mark the bolt head/nut position to the fixed mount with marking paint. That way your inspection is visual thereafter.
    Great idea!!
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpboofay View Post
    Nice ride for sure and I gained at least 2” in height.
    Watch out for those low bridges!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpboofay View Post
    Hi All -
    Wondering if any Imagine 2800BH owners or actually any GD owners who have some insight or advise on faulty suspensions on these rigs. Ours is 2018.

So here is the issue: noticed our friends unit, that is the same unit as us, just 2 years newer sits higher than ours. So I crawl under theirs, snap some photos and notice they have the Dexter 4400 lb axles and 5 tier leaf springs & 225/75 15 tires. Ok then I come home crawl under to snap photos and notice right front spring is bent and one of the overload plates has snapped off...not good. Then I look at the other springs and they all are almost flat. I also noticed I have the Lippert 3500 lb axles, 4 tier springs and 205/75 15.

Currently talking with Lippert as this looks like it is under warranty. But my question is has anyone else had issues? I just wonder why GD went from these 3500 lb axles to the 4400 lb and increased the leaf springs and tire size?

I think there may be more to this story and will be trying to contact GD about it.
    Attachment 32569Attachment 32570Attachment 32571
    Any info from anyone will be helpful.
    Thanks!
    Let me know what you find out. We had our leaf springs snap crossing a bridge. Sounds like the 2018's were undersized. I got new leaf springs and the MORryde CRE3000 and it tows like a dream now. Grand Design only offered to buy me new leaqf spring which are only about $40. Would pay for any of the cost for towing or damage to the rig (rubbed a hole in the undercarriage, had to buy a new tire, ETC)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123