User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhendriver View Post
    You will have to forgive my ignorance on this one, but if you get rid of the connection from the panel to the battery, how does the RV get dc power back to the dc panel when the converter isn’t running? My understanding is that connection from the panel to the battery is the conduit for the battery bank to power the main DC distribution panel when on battery only.
    The two sets of terminals on the converter/charger essentially act as a bus bar making the connection from battery to DC panel. The same connection currently exists at the panel. Making this change is just moving the connection point farther up stream (electrically bringing the battery closer to the converter/charger).
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    The two sets of terminals on the converter/charger essentially act as a bus bar making the connection from battery to DC panel. The same connection currently exists at the panel. Making this change is just moving the connection point farther up stream (electrically bringing the battery closer to the converter/charger).
    Thanks! Didn’t think of that approach, but it makes sense. I’d be curious to see what you gain in voltage and amperage. I would love to hear more data if you end up doing that. I am still planning it all out and will do the same as well when I start this portion of the project.
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    2013 F350 Super Duty w/ Firestone 7.5k Red Label Ride Rite air bags
    B&W Turnover-ball and B&W companion hitch
    Mac Air Warhorse

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Here's the path to my upgrades post showing what I did. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...834#post460834

I just ran some 12 ga cord from my 120V power panel female plug (where the converter plugs in) through my basement area and up to the front compartment into a switchable outlet. Then the PowerMax converter plugs in direct to that switchable plug. It's super easy! You can see it in the pic from my post above. I wired in new bus bars for the red and black 12v feeds so that I could hook all my leads in there as well as the battery shunt monitor. I have the system just the way I want it and didn't spend more than like $700 on everything except for more batteries.
    I forgot to ask you: on this build did you include any sort of DC fuse off your converter dc 12v+ before it got to the battery?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Didn’t think of that approach, but it makes sense. I’d be curious to see what you gain in voltage and amperage. I would love to hear more data if you end up doing that. I am still planning it all out and will do the same as well when I start this portion of the project.
    When I did my recent upgrades to lithium batteries on my 303RLS Reflection and added my inverter and such...I wanted all my electronical components up front for ease of maintenance and max efficiency for charging and etc. For about $20 or less, one can move their converter/charger (assuming it's separate from their 120V panel) from somewhere hidden and less accessible to right near their battery bank making the converter/charger to battery/bus DC leads very short for max efficiency. I just used some old 12 ga cord that I had laying around and added a standard 3-prong plug to one end which plugs into the 120v panel and then wired the other end into my newly located and upgraded 120A charger/converter in the front compartment. Now there is no concern of voltage drop across the DC charging side, cost was cheap, and I can easily get to all the electrical connections without removing basement panels and such. It's another option to consider that costs very little and is very simple to do.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to ask you: on this build did you include any sort of DC fuse off your converter dc 12v+ before it got to the battery?
    Well In my build---I didn't but can't speak to others. My BigBattery lithium batteries all have internal power switches and internal fuses so I ran the DC charging wires direct from the charger/converter to my power and ground bus bars.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234