User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove from Nashville to Savanah last year, on our trip to the East Coast. I considered driving straight through to Savanah a bit much for one day so we stayed in a campsite just south of Atalanta. True the traffic was heavy but we kept moving. The worst part was going through Chattanooga. Stop start and heavy rain. The drive on the next day was quite pleasant as we had gone through most of the traffic Its very doable
    2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 F250 6.7 diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of experience driving entire length of I-24 then I-75 to Florida. Frankly, Atlanta is the easiest: stay in I-75 not the bypasses during mid morning preferably Sunday. In Nashville avoid downtown by taking Briley Parkway (Opryland Hotel) north to east of downtown. Chattanooga (were I live) is another story entirely. Totally unpredictable in both directions. Best bet is to avoid rush hours. Weekends are best as there are fewer slow moving trucks to clog the stretch between I-59 and I-75 interchanges. Once in town, stay in the far left lane either direction. It moves slightly faster. Weekdays, 3:30-5:30PM northbound is the worst time - 7:30-9:00AM southbound. But accidents are common especially on EB I-24 west of downtown and EB and WB I-75 between exits 11 and 20.

Good luck. There is no easy bypass if you don’t know the area.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If taking 26 to 95 and traffic is bad you can get off in Columbia or Orangeburg to "cut the corner" and pop out down near Hilton Head exits of 95. I've taken those many times when not towing and at least once when towing. Two lane roads and you go thru a few small towns but a less stressful and you keep moving type of drive.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I-40 to Asheville. I-26 to Orangeburg, SC. 301 South to Georgia 21 at Sylvania, GA. Georgia 21 to I-95. You avoid the I-95 bottleneck at SC line.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPreach View Post
    I-40 to Asheville. I-26 to Orangeburg, SC. 301 South to Georgia 21 at Sylvania, GA. Georgia 21 to I-95. You avoid the I-95 bottleneck at SC line.
    I'm going to have to try this route one of these times when we run up to Charlotte to see the kids.

The last time we took 321 to Hareeville in SC but the traffic was way backed up waiting to get back on I-95. We circled through/around Savanah to avoid that. That GA 21 may be a better option. Thanks for the tip.

Only thing to remember - it is a bit longer time-wise. (but a lot kinder on the nerves)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that seems a little too long, let me offer a modified Alabama route: Take I-65 south to Birmingham and the on to Montogmery. Take I-85 a little ways east to Auburn (Buckees Stop!) and then you can use U.S. 80 to cut across through Columbus to Macon. From there, rejoin I-16 and you're straight-shotting it into Savannah.
    By my GoogleMaps calculation, this adds only 90 minutes to your drive - and that's assuming no major snafus in Chattanooga or Atlanta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12