User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an rv tank heater draws between 4 and 11 amps. The RV has 3 of them so thats another 15-30 amps per hour. I guess that is why the battery’s were dead.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Sheesh...it was posed as a question, not a declarative statement. How do those fancy AGMS fare when you completely deplete them (as the OP did with his)? IMO (there, I qualified it), most folks are rolling with the single battery the dealer provided, that same battery with one they added from Wally World and/or their 3rd or 4th set of Wally World lead acid batts because they keep killing them by over discharge (that's about where I was).
    I agree with you about most people’s use of batteries that are supplied by dealers. In fact I think most really don’t understand how their electrical components relate to their power until of course it doesn’t work. And again I agree they keep killing them by over discharge.

I think people learn on here by being exposed to others ways of overcoming , new projects for improvement, and new technologies. That’s why I mentioned the Firefly AGM. It’s a lead based AGM with a lot of properties that people buy lithium’s for. Some advantages even in safety and cost.

In the OP case it may not have deadened like his wet cell.

As far as depleting to zero, it’s not good for any battery. I’ve know a few Fireflies take down past 20% and they recovered.
    Unlike other AGM they can be left in a depleted state without penalty where that is death for most lead based batteries.

My post was to give others a look at another option other than wet, standard AGM , and lithium options. These batteries are used extensively by world cruisers especially and are quite common on the west coast of the US as options. Not sure why they have not caught on.

I have no affiliation with Oasis....just a very satisfied customer.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Our GD owners manual indicates the furnace uses 12A. Setting the charger for only 2A results in a 10A deficit.
    That's a little over-simplified. The furnace doesn't usually run 100% of the time. If it did, your calculations would be correct. The furnace cycles, using its 12 amps intermittently. The batteries function as an energy reservoir that can be at, slightly above, or below "pool level" (using the reservoir metaphor). The charger needs to provide enough energy to bring the batteries back up to full charge level after the furnace fan motor has drawn them down. Unless the furnace is running 100% of the time, this will not require 12 amps of charge current.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    I read an rv tank heater draws between 4 and 11 amps. The RV has 3 of them so thats another 15-30 amps per hour. I guess that is why the battery’s were dead.
    Those maybe your bad actor. I measured the current draw from the battery with heat and blower running and got 7.2 amp (90-100watts) and has been pointed out only runs from time to time. Those tank heater are probable running 24/7.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I agree with you about most people’s use of batteries that are supplied by dealers. In fact I think most really don’t understand how their electrical components relate to their power until of course it doesn’t work. And again I agree they keep killing them by over discharge.

I think people learn on here by being exposed to others ways of overcoming , new projects for improvement, and new technologies. That’s why I mentioned the Firefly AGM. It’s a lead based AGM with a lot of properties that people buy lithium’s for. Some advantages even in safety and cost.

In the OP case it may not have deadened like his wet cell.

As far as depleting to zero, it’s not good for any battery. I’ve know a few Fireflies take down past 20% and they recovered.
    Unlike other AGM they can be left in a depleted state without penalty where that is death for most lead based batteries.

My post was to give others a look at another option other than wet, standard AGM , and lithium options. These batteries are used extensively by world cruisers especially and are quite common on the west coast of the US as options. Not sure why they have not caught on.

I have no affiliation with Oasis....just a very satisfied customer.
    The system is showing 13.4 volts on the monitor panel now with Tank heaters and Central heat on, so, I hope the batteries have survived.

My advice to others is, do not boondock in cold weather with heat and tank heaters going.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Sheesh...it was posed as a question, not a declarative statement. How do those fancy AGMS fare when you completely deplete them (as the OP did with his)? IMO (there, I qualified it), most folks are rolling with the single battery the dealer provided, that same battery with one they added from Wally World and/or their 3rd or 4th set of Wally World lead acid batts because they keep killing them by over discharge (that's about where I was).
    That said, I took a closer look tonight and these Firefly batts look pretty good...I wasn't aware of them and learned something. Similar performance to LiFePO4 (including complete discharge). Why haven't they taken off in the RV world? My guess would be their weight...they are heavy and lighter is better for tow vehicle payload limitations...probably not so much of a concern on a bobbing boat...they may help you plane out 😎 Forum discussions are cool!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Oasis Fireside carbon foam AGM can be drawn down like lithium with no tremendous penalty to life cycles like a regular lead acid has. While what you say applies to many types of batteries using sweeping statements to describe all of them is absolutely incorrect. Many boaters have been using this type of battery for years. Not sure why it hasn’t caught on in the RV market. Probably because of the infatuation with lithium.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Very interested in the carbon foam battery. Do these require any specialized charging equipment?
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That's a little over-simplified. The furnace doesn't usually run 100% of the time. If it did, your calculations would be correct. The furnace cycles, using its 12 amps intermittently. The batteries function as an energy reservoir that can be at, slightly above, or below "pool level" (using the reservoir metaphor). The charger needs to provide enough energy to bring the batteries back up to full charge level after the furnace fan motor has drawn them down. Unless the furnace is running 100% of the time, this will not require 12 amps of charge current.

Rob
    You are correct. My post should have ended with “. . . when the furnace is running.” The point being that 2A charging wasn’t likely to keep the battery charged as the OP found out the next morning.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the Rio Grande Valley and just survived the freeze here in Texas. I must have one hell of a good battery. It got down to 26 Sat. night with a wind chill of 10. My battery lasted all night no problem. I charged it back to full charge off a generator and a 4 amp Battery Tender and used it all night the next night in the same temperature minus the wind. No problem.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12