User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch setup reviews for 315RLTS

We have a 315RLTS on order and trying to decide on a WD hitch. Would be interested in hearing what has worked and what hasn't. Anyone start with a traditional WD hitch setup like a Equalizer and switched to a Hensley?

Thanks
    Don & Missy, dogs Xander and Jase
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS (on order)
    2021 Ford F250 6.7 Tremor HCTP/
    Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we switched to a propride 3 1400 lb bars and it has worked perfectly to our satisfaction..
    The propride was also designed by Hensley.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Husky Center Line, works as advertised but it is a little noisy when doing slow tight turns. BLUE Ox and Anderson also have great comments from members. Blue Ox has chains so not noisy and the Anderson weights under 60lbs all together. There's also the new True Tow by weight safe that's gaining lots of popularity.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texas05 View Post
    We have a 315RLTS on order and trying to decide on a WD hitch. Would be interested in hearing what has worked and what hasn't. Anyone start with a traditional WD hitch setup like a Equalizer and switched to a Hensley?

Thanks
    My 297RSTS is 4' shorter and 1000 lbs lighter and I use a Reese Straightline hitch with 1500 lb bars. There are a number of members on this forum and other forums that have a 315RLTS and have found the hitch weight over 1500 lbs. I would recommend that you go with 1700 or 1800 lb bars. These trailers are very tougue heavy which makes for very good towing but you must have the correct setup for the weight. Make sure the hitch on you tow vehicle is rated for this much weight as well.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Equalizer with 1600lb bars for my 315rlts. Works excellent!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our Transcend 26RLS trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch behind my Ram 2500 and we've never had a single experience with sway of any kind. Over the past two years we've towed it over 7000 miles and no sway. Having said that, on really windy days I can feel the wind push against the truck and trailer, but still no sway. Believe me, I know what sway is because I pulled a U-Haul trailer across country. Every gust of wind and tractor that passed me was a literally a white knuckle experience. I knew if my nervous wife ever experienced anything like that she wouldn't want to go anyway with a trailer. So when I was selecting a hitch, I chose between the Hensley and ProPride. Both were designed by Jim Hensley. I believe the ProPride is an updated version of the Arrow.

If you are considering the Hensley or ProPride you need to know that there is a slight learning curve that you need to go through when hitching and unhitching. Once the either hitch is on your trailer, it will no longer turn or rotate on the hitch ball. All of the turning is done with the linkage under it (the black part). The hitch linkage basically transfers the pivot point under the trucks rear axle, making the travel trailer tow similar to a 5th wheel. There are videos on the web that cover all this. When we first got the hitch we did have some issues hitching up. The angle of the "stinger" has to line up exactly with the "hitch box", once you recognize that its easy. I made a wooden stinger that we slide into the hitch box to help us make sure that everything is lined up before we try to hitch up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071252062.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	32587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190903_071329638.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	32586

Not only does the Hensley eliminate sway its also good in panic situations. We were driving in PA on Rt 78, in the right lane doing at 65 mph when someone came from the far left lane and tried to exit the freeway in front of us. He literally cut us of and forced me to slam on the brakes, veer off onto shoulder and right up the exit ramp with him. Well the trailer stayed right behind me without any issues at all. I am very impressed with the hitch and I think it was worth every penny that we spent for it.

If you or anyone else needs more info on the hitch, feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks

Bob