User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back up camera for Transcend Xplor

Good Morning

My husband and I are picking up our new 2021 Transcend Xplor on Wednesday! It's the biggest TT we've owned. It is pre-wired for a back up camera. It is my understanding that GD has wired it to be a plug and play add-on.

I was thinking of getting one for my husband (or for our marriage to reduce stress and disagreements during parking) for his birthday. I was wondering people's thoughts on the back up cameras.
    Is it worth it?
    Is there a suggested brand?
    What is the typical cost?
    Is it indeed plug and play?

Thank you!
    ~ Kathy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back up camera for Transcend Xplor

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post
    Good Morning

My husband and I are picking up our new 2021 Transcend Xplor on Wednesday! It's the biggest TT we've owned. It is pre-wired for a back up camera. It is my understanding that GD has wired it to be a plug and play add-on.

I was thinking of getting one for my husband (or for our marriage to reduce stress and disagreements during parking) for his birthday. I was wondering people's thoughts on the back up cameras.
    Is it worth it?

Thank you!
    ~ Kathy
    They have the shark fin for the furrion system but other than that there isn’t much advantage
    Very expensive as well
    There are many systems a quarter of the cost that can be made to work

My take on cameras in general...
    I don’t see the point. They will never be for me
    They will or never should be a substitute for g.o.a.l

Backing into sites I rarely even request the help of my wife. Usually her and the kids are dropped off at the playground

Once the site is surveyed generally you can use the pedestal as your only guide. Keep it in sight is all that is required
    Of course lots of campgrounds the pedestal can’t be used but I just place a board where I want the roadside tires to be and back to it

Edit: imo there are other things to buy before a camera. Power protectors and tpms are 2

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-26-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Sounds like good advice!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although some good points are made above, but in reality, what may work for them may not work for you. RVing isn't a "one size fits all" environment. It's about what makes you feel comfortable. Is extra eyes a bad thing when backing up a trailer? Probably not. Like you said, this is the biggest TT you have owned, so it's about what makes you feel comfortable.

As mentioned, there are other systems out there that are cheaper and accomplish the same, if not more (Haloview comes to mind). If you need a spotter, the camera can provide you an extra view while the spotter is spotting another location for you.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our dealer sold us a cheaper (Chinese brand) that plugs into the much more expensive Furrion brand built in plug. I honestly thought that I would have used it more. It is by far, not a replacement for GOAL. The screen is to small to be of any help to backup really. It does help for finishing touches along with DW. It also kinda acts like a rear view mirror when traveling but not a great view range. I do use it to keep an eye on my bike rack that's not suppose to be attached to the bumper. [emoji6] like others have mentioned YMMV

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Although some good points are made above, but in reality, what may work for them may not work for you. RVing isn't a "one size fits all" environment. It's about what makes you feel comfortable. Is extra eyes a bad thing when backing up a trailer? Probably not. Like you said, this is the biggest TT you have owned, so it's about what makes you feel comfortable.

As mentioned, there are other systems out there that are cheaper and accomplish the same, if not more (Haloview comes to mind). If you need a spotter, the camera can provide you an extra view while the spotter is spotting another location for you.
    Thank you for offering your point of view offothavasu. You've given me something to think about for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Our dealer sold us a cheaper (Chinese brand) that plugs into the much more expensive Furrion brand built in plug. I honestly thought that I would have used it more. It is by far, not a replacement for GOAL. The screen is to small to be of any help to backup really. It does help for finishing touches along with DW. It also kinda acts like a rear view mirror when traveling but not a great view range. I do use it to keep an eye on my bike rack that's not suppose to be attached to the bumper. [emoji6] like others have mentioned YMMV

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! It's great to get your input after using a device.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post
    Good Morning

Is it worth it?

Thank you!
    ~ Kathy
    I agree with @NB Canada on this one. I researched the heck out of rear observation cameras before we picked up our TT. In the end I decided to take the 'wait and see' approach. Almost a year later I do not see the need, for me, to install an observation camera(s).

Whatever you decide, I would recommend some walkie talkies. Even with the camera. Or you can use your phones but if you don't have service they won't work.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i removed the furrion mount on ours and installed a haloview. Quality of image is fine and only issues was lag at highway speeds. Since i've ordered the RD7 camera with repeater from them and that should fix the issue. This is still almost 200 bucks cheaper then furrion. I only installed it to see what around 8k of bikes on the bike rack back there are doing while we are driving. TO back up i wouldnt use it unless i want to see where to stop in the rear.
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input, suggestions and advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast