User Tag List

Thread: Cabinet Latches

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cabinet Latches

We picked up our 2021 S-Class 2930RL in December. We've made three short local trips to area state parks to check things out, and have been very happy. No major issues so far (knock on wood). Last week we took it in to our LazyDays dealer here in Tucson to take care of a few minor things that we had noted. One of the things was that in the bathroom, there are three medicine cabinet doors, a bigger one in the center and smaller ones on each side. The middle one has a latch to keep it closed, the two smaller ones do not. Same thing with the nightstands in the bedroom, there are two doors (upper and lower) on each side. One of those four doors has a latch, the other three don't.

When we dropped it off last week, the Service Advisor was surprised that there were any cabinet doors without latches, and made the comment that they had buckets of those latches around and would be able to take care of that without having to order any parts. So when I picked it up today, she said that they had checked all the Solitudes on the lot, and they were all like that, so it was a Grand Design "thing", and they couldn't do anything about it. She even agreed with me that it didn't make any sense that some cabinets did and some didn't, but stood firm that it was a Grand Design "thing", and they wouldn't add the missing latches.

For anyone with a 2021 Solitude/S-Class, do all of your cabinet doors have latches to keep them closed?

Am I just dense, or is there a reason some wouldn't?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
    Ron & Julie
    2021 Solitude 2930RL
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Turbo Diesel CC Shortbed
    Pullrite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonaChief View Post
    We picked up our 2021 S-Class 2930RL in December. We've made three short local trips to area state parks to check things out, and have been very happy. No major issues so far (knock on wood). Last week we took it in to our LazyDays dealer here in Tucson to take care of a few minor things that we had noted. One of the things was that in the bathroom, there are three medicine cabinet doors, a bigger one in the center and smaller ones on each side. The middle one has a latch to keep it closed, the two smaller ones do not. Same thing with the nightstands in the bedroom, there are two doors (upper and lower) on each side. One of those four doors has a latch, the other three don't.

When we dropped it off last week, the Service Advisor was surprised that there were any cabinet doors without latches, and made the comment that they had buckets of those latches around and would be able to take care of that without having to order any parts. So when I picked it up today, she said that they had checked all the Solitudes on the lot, and they were all like that, so it was a Grand Design "thing", and they couldn't do anything about it. She even agreed with me that it didn't make any sense that some cabinets did and some didn't, but stood firm that it was a Grand Design "thing", and they wouldn't add the missing latches.

For anyone with a 2021 Solitude/S-Class, do all of your cabinet doors have latches to keep them closed?

Your dealer is blowing smoke. Plain and simple. I would call Grand Design with your VIN and tell them about the missing latches. They will (should) authorize the warranty work. I would either find a different dealer, or contact a mobile tech. Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ask to see all the other Solitudes that were the same "design"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonaChief View Post

Hello! We have a 2019 2930-RL - and our latches are EXACTLY like yours.

Bathroom - just a latch on the middle cabinet.

Bedroom - just one latch on the bottom driver-side cabinet.

I would say the one latch on the bedroom cabinet makes sense to keep that door shut so it doesn't open accidentally and get caught up when you open the bedroom/bathroom slide.

We travel alot of rough Colorado roads [emoji849] and we haven't had issues with any of those cabinets-without latches-coming open. We had an issue with the bathroom vanity bottom drawer coming open and had to level the drawer slides to get it to latch correctly.

I am not debating your dealers truthfulness - just saying ours is exactly the same as yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David & Janelle plus April & Jazzee our blue heelers
    Farming/ranching in eastern Colorado...but not for much longer!!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL (4/2019)
    2020 Ford F450 DRW 4X4 8' bed (1/2020)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Did you ask to see all the other Solitudes that were the same "design"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to check the others on the lot yesterday. But after thinking about it overnight, I may have answered my question. All of the doors without latches are smaller - the two side medicine cabinet doors probably about 9", the two upper bedside cabinets are also about 9", and the nightstand cabinet on the right side of the bed is smaller than the left side nightstand.

The smaller opening radius of the smaller doors may make it hard to open/close them if they had latches, the two parts of the latch wouldn't line up well enough because of the smaller opening radius.
    Ron & Julie
    2021 Solitude 2930RL
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Turbo Diesel CC Shortbed
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got our new 2021 2930RL-R and the same latches were missing. We just thought it was a factory installation miss. We showed it to our dealer and they agreed. They just added the latches for free and never complained once. When you see how random it appears, it just looks like a factory mistake. It looks like that may not be the case now as more people seem to be seeing the same thing. But my dealer thought it was a mistake and told me they never see solitudes with any cabinet doors that don't have the latches. Now they rarely get 2930's on the lot, so they may have never noticed this. We did see a 3350BH I think it's called that is the same as a 2930RL except with a bunkhouse behind the living room. Same bathroom and bedroom as the 2930. It had all of it's latches in the bathroom and bedroom. We checked it out pretty thoroughly becasue it was the only thing we could look at that was basically the same as a 2930rl.
    Jesse & Anita
    2021 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed SRW, Duramax Diesel. B&W Companion hitch on B&W turnover goose ball