User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer Switch in Reflection

Does anyone have the secret connecting wires from a 3wire dimmer switch to the living room lights and awning lights in my Reflextion? I Followed the instructions but can't seem to get it to work. Any explanation would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search grand design or imagine dimmer install on YouTube you'll find a couple. I think I used the one from hybris1video

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it on my Momentum on a few lights. I'll do it in the Reflection eventually. For the switches I used:
    Red +12v (from power source)
    Black ground (on light wires)
    White to the light (+12v on light wire)

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done several including the awning. The first thing is to know if you have Onecontrol or other integrated control panel. They really complicate dimming.

Next is to know that wire colors are not reliable. Test the trailer wiring, and double check the dimmer instructions. I've had to connected black to white several times.

This guy has the best videos and info on dimmers I've seen and I've been in lighting over 40 years.

http://www.rv-project.com/gear/dimmers.php
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I've done several including the awning. The first thing is to know if you have Onecontrol or other integrated control panel. They really complicate dimming.
    Hi Rick, I've searched and know it's complicated when there is an integrated control panel. I have a 2021 Reflection 315RLTS and some lights are controlled by the Compass Connect system/app. Can you post a link to how to install a dimmer with an integrated control panel?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I my rig is basic so I don't have any system details. With my 40 years in lighting I can tell you there are 2 basic methods. Think of the panel as a fancy switch, either keep it or not.

First is to bypass the main panel completely. Find some power and live with those lights off the smart system.

Second is to rig the dimmer after the panel. Now you have 2 ways to turn off the light and both must be on to get light. LED dimming is done by strobing the power really fast. It's possible the dimmer will confuse the smart panel and cause weird side effects, but generally it shouldn't.

Your choice will depend on your wiring skills, access inside the walls and what you can find out about your panel.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Boogey Lights and Dimmers

I just installed 3 of these dimmers from Amazon into my 2018 Reflection 297RSTS ....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used one to control the the 7 pucks that turn on when the main light switch in the cabinet is turned on. Really hated going into the cabinet to turn on the lights as well as having them all on full brightness all the time! I used the "hot" side of the cabinet switch to provide power for the dimmer, found a HUGE wire nut back there that had all the negatives so used it for the negative side, then used the wire from the "other" side of the cabinet switch (the one going to the pucks) for the dimmer output. Worked wonderfully. Installed the dimmer right below the thermostat in the hutch area. Matches perfectly.

One of the peeves with this trailer is the lack of a porch light and the fact that 75% of the LED strip light mounted under the awning is hidden when the slide is out. Makes them pretty worthless. So I finally found a high quality RGB LED solution to mount on the slide-out. I used the Boogey lights strip. Yeah, its not the cheapest but the quality is worth the price. This strip had RGBWW, the WW being soft white and bright white. I used the other 2 dimmers to control these 2 whites by mounting them right behind the outside TV, right above the switch for the speaker LEDs. In fact, I tapped into that switch to provide the power for both dimmers. This allows me to stand outside and turn on/adjust these lights while actually watching them. It's also kinda fun to turn off both whites and use the app or remote to set any color you want.

Here's a pic of the dimmers behind the outside TV.

Not sure why the pic rotated, but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210401_142312.jpg   20210401_135216.jpg  
    Last edited by Takoda; 04-16-2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: More information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem, on the 2021 GD the standard dimmer switch that you find on youtube and Amazon will not work. You need a PVM switch, here is link to the one we purchased for our GD Reflection 297RSTS TT. We taped into the wire on the first LED near the bedroom (Front of the Trailer) this is where the first LED wiring starts. Spliced this wireless switch in line and it worked perfectly. Now we have a wireless dimmer for our living room. I have not done this for the awning yet, next project

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnelsonlv View Post
    I had the same problem, on the 2021 GD the standard dimmer switch that you find on youtube and Amazon will not work. You need a PVM switch, here is link to the one we purchased for our GD Reflection 297RSTS TT. We taped into the wire on the first LED near the bedroom (Front of the Trailer) this is where the first LED wiring starts. Spliced this wireless switch in line and it worked perfectly. Now we have a wireless dimmer for our living room. I have not done this for the awning yet, next project

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I like this! So, just to clarify there is no modification to the switch itself? Just splice this before the first light in the series? Thanks so much for sharing this!
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I like this! So, just to clarify there is no modification to the switch itself? Just splice this before the first light in the series? Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Yes, just to clarify, what I found through my search is the main wires to all of the lighting comes from the front "garage" /Storage area behind the panels. You do not need to open this panel, just sharing with where things start from. The key is to splice this switch on the first hockey puck light in the series of lights. Our first light is right outside the bedroom next to the bath, I simply pulled the light down and spliced into the wires. The cool thing is the Compass still works as does the main ceiling light switch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast