Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generators

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manaya1127 View Post
    Since I have your attention! On the Fuzion I just gave up I had a 5500onan on board which was great, Now on my solitude I am running two onan cummings 2500i portables with parallel cable. Should that be enough to run both air plus lights?
    The hard part of running an air conditioner is when it starts. They typically pull about 20A (just a number for discussion, check yours) when starting and 15A when running. If both ACs try to start at the same time, you’ll have very little left for other stuff. With one running and the other starting, you’ll have 20A + 15A which gives you some extra. The easy start kits reduce the startup current and can make things play together better.

Power in this situation is not straightforward as Ohm’s Law does not apply when powering a motor so Watts aren’t a good unit to use. Stick with Amps and you’ll get better estimates.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefmikie View Post
    Matt. Newbie here researching generators for my 2021 Imagine xls 22rbe. I’m thinking duel fuel champion or Westinghouse in the 3600 watts running range. It seems I need to see if my AC has an Easy start on it.
    Question.
    Do I need a surge protector when I plug into my 30 amp socket?
    I don't think a surge protector will work when plugged into a generator. My old surge protector would not, but I cannot say for sure if all are like that.
    I run our air with a Champion 3100. We have two units, a 13K and a 15K - we usually run the 13K but I've run the 15K on the generator before. You have to be careful what else you run and remember that the fridge will switch from gas to electric once the generator fires up unless you lock it on gas mode. That and the microwave will trip the overload
    I noticed you're in Durham - if you're not too far from me I can let you try to run your AC on our Champion 3100 if it helps you figure things out. It's light enough I can toss it in the back of the truck pretty easily. Just message me if you're interested.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I don't think a surge protector will work when plugged into a generator. My old surge protector would not, but I cannot say for sure if all are like that.
    I run our air with a Champion 3100. We have two units, a 13K and a 15K - we usually run the 13K but I've run the 15K on the generator before. You have to be careful what else you run and remember that the fridge will switch from gas to electric once the generator fires up unless you lock it on gas mode. That and the microwave will trip the overload
    I noticed you're in Durham - if you're not too far from me I can let you try to run your AC on our Champion 3100 if it helps you figure things out. It's light enough I can toss it in the back of the truck pretty easily. Just message me if you're interested.
    We run with a PI HW50 power protector. When running on a generator the power monitor wants to see ground and neutral tied together. Make a jumper plug for the generator, get a male 110VAC plug and a big piece of wire, jump neutral and ground in the plug and plug it into one of the 110VAC receptacles on the generator.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake. Thanks for the generous offer. I may take you up on that. Let me do some more research.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 w/ tow package
    Retired Chef 2020.
    Mike and Karen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered a 3400Watt duel fuel inverter champion generator. Adding mount-n- lock Safety Strutts and Genny-Go generator carrier to the back bumper closer to the propane extension on the back side. I’ll use a quick connect Y Splitter to run to the generator. Just a small adaptation to the propane line since both generator and propane connection are female quick connections, I’ll add a 90 elbow as well on the generator end.
    Even in propane mode it should Handel my 135K AC plus TV, lights and all appliances. ( I never use the microwave).
    That’s the plan I’ll test it in a couple of weeks.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Chefmikie; 06-30-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    Retired Chef 2020.
    Mike and Karen.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered a 3400Watt duel fuel inverter champion generator. Adding mount-n- lock Safety Strutts and Genny-Go generator carrier to the back bumper closer to the propane extension on the back side. I’ll use a quick connect Y Splitter to run to the generator. Just a small adaptation to the propane line since both generator and propane connection are female quick connections, I’ll add a 90 elbow as well on the generator end.
    Even in propane mode it should Handel my 135K AC plus TV, lights and all appliances. ( I never use the microwave).
    That’s the plan I’ll test it in a couple of weeks.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Wish me luck.
    You will be pleased with the Champion. Just remember to buy or make the ground plug.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I just looked over that post again. Cone ting neutral and ground terminals on a male 3 prong plug.
    Does that allow a surge protector or in place of one? I have a 30 A Hughes.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    Retired Chef 2020.
    Mike and Karen.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I just looked over that post again. Cone ting neutral and ground terminals on a male 3 prong plug.
    Does that allow a surge protector or in place of one? I have a 30 A Hughes.
    I've run my generator with the bonding plug in place, and I have a hard wired EMS in my coach. Everything worked well.

You tie the ground and neutral together in a 110 plug and plug it into one of the 110 outlets on the generator.

It cost me about $3.00 for the plug, I just bought one of those plugs that you would use to "fix" an extension cord and used 10ga Romex to tie them together inside the plug. There are several YouTube videos on this that you might want to look at first. Please don't just take my word on how to do this!

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I've run my generator with the bonding plug in place, and I have a hard wired EMS in my coach. Everything worked well.

You tie the ground and neutral together in a 110 plug and plug it into one of the 110 outlets on the generator.

It cost me about $3.00 for the plug, I just bought one of those plugs that you would use to "fix" an extension cord and used 10ga Romex to tie them together inside the plug. There are several YouTube videos on this that you might want to look at first. Please don't just take my word on how to do this!

That's the way to do it. We have a PI HW50 voltage monitor suppressor installed in our coach, it wants to see neutral and ground bonded together before it allows power into the RV. Wiring a plug the way he says and plugging it into the generator 110V outlet satisfies the requirement.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generators

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Since I believe they are the same as the Westinghouse's you should have no issues as long as there are good easy starts on the air's
    just sold the two 2500's and bought two 4500's and went out and they worked perfect ran both airs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast