User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have no comfort number In fact I have no plans on weighing this rig just like my last Jayco I towed for 6 years. Never weighed it either

Don’t really care what the numbers are. I am sure they are close. All I know for the first 1300 KM I have towed this it was effortless with absolutely no fear or “white knuckle” driving. This is through Ontario and Quebec as well in winter on the worst roads

You do realize there really isn’t any “legal” numbers for recreational use
    Look at your payload sticker
    The most important word in there is “should”
    Should is a recommendation. The only legal term that works in court is “must”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    I suspect tort laws are different in Canada than the lawsuit crazy US. Here if you are involved in an accident and it is determined that you are over the "recommended" numbers the jury, most or all unfamiliar with RVing, will hold you responsible. Even if you didn't cause the accident they will assign a certain amount of responsibility for the accident to you based on your exceeding the recommended numbers. And the excuse, " I don't know if I exceeded the numbers because I never weighed my rig." will just be more proof that you were negligent. Welcome to the USA. And heaven help you if there is a fatality involved.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 02-15-2021 at 05:54 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I suspect tort laws are different in Canada than the lawsuit crazy US. Here if you are involved in an accident and it is determined that you are over the "recommended" numbers the jury, most or all unfamiliar with RVing, will hold you responsible. Even if you didn't cause the accident they will assign a certain amount of responsibility for the accident to you based on your exceeding the recommended numbers. And the excuse, " I don't know if I exceeded the numbers because I never weighed my rig." will just be more proof that you were negligent. Welcome to the USA.
    No there's negligence here in Canada also. If its a major accident, they will investigate here also.
    Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not" and "ignorance of law excuses no one" respectively) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely by being unaware of its content.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    No there's negligence here in Canada also. If its a major accident, they will investigate here also.
    Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not" and "ignorance of law excuses no one" respectively) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely by being unaware of its content.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    First let me say I'm not an attorney and never played one on TV. We have a similar legal philosophy in the US. We also have contributory negligence as part of our legal tort system. If you are negligent, I.E. never weighed your trailer and/or were over one or more of the numbers then even if the accident is not your fault you can be assigned a certain amount of the blame. I'm also curious about how an insurance company would treat a case where a RVer is over one or more numbers. Can they refuse a claim? Interesting question. Even if they had to pay the claim they would likely cancel the policy and one might have trouble getting their RV insured in the future. All the more reason to know and stay under the numbers.

Thread drift. This is probably not helping the OP.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 02-15-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First let me say I'm not an attorney and never played one on TV. We have a similar legal philosophy in the US. We also have contributory negligence as part of our legal tort system. If you are negligent, I.E. never weighed your trailer and/or were over one or more of the numbers then even if the accident is not your fault you can be assigned a certain amount of the blame. I'm also curious about how an insurance company would treat a case where a RVer is over one or more numbers. Can they refuse a claim? Interesting question and all the more reason to be sure you are under the numbers. Even if they had to pay the claim they would likely cancel the policy and one might have trouble getting their RV insured in the future. All the more reason to know and stay under the numbers.

Thread drift. This is probably not helping the OP.
    Have you ever seen an rv wreck?

Goodluck weighing anything
    It would never come to that
    At best they would only ever be able to look at specs of truck and trailer and have nothing else

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to guess at least 50% of 3/4 tons towing 5th wheels are over weight. Does that make them all unsafe ?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once in person a very long time ago, minor injuries involved, a couple of times along side the road, and on the evening news and YouTube videos. Your mode of RVing seems to be working just fine for you. Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else how to travel with a RV. It's up to everyone to assess the risks and accept the risks, if any, of their RVing mode. I'm just pointing out some of the potential negative aspects of towing a RV over the numbers and/or of not knowing the numbers for the OP and anyone else who might be interested. I guess in my old age I'm becoming more risk adverse.

Apparently you have never had an accident and I sincerely hope you never do.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no comfort number In fact I have no plans on weighing this rig just like my last Jayco I towed for 6 years. Never weighed it either

Don’t really care what the numbers are. I am sure they are close. All I know for the first 1300 KM I have towed this it was effortless with absolutely no fear or “white knuckle” driving. This is through Ontario and Quebec as well in winter on the worst roads

You do realize there really isn’t any “legal” numbers for recreational use
    Look at your payload sticker
    The most important word in there is “should”
    Should is a recommendation. The only legal term that works in court is “must”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    I was not going to weigh in on this, but... As to weights and so on. I have never weighed my truck or 5er. Nor did I on previous set ups. Not because I don't care about it, but because I have always made sure to buy a combination that keeps me typically at 80% or less of max capacity (we also don't have any scales around that I am aware of). I am 98% sure that I am not close to the towing capacity of my truck with the rig fully loaded. The only thing that could be close at all is payload. Knowing what I weigh, and a close estimate of my wife's weight (I know that she is under a certain weight), what the grandkids weigh, and items in the bed, hitch included, I figure I am about 150 pounds under payload. I feel safe towing, and have had some close ones that scared the crap out of me. Having said that, my truck handled everything just fine. Also, actually the legal term would also be "Shall".
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a 2018 F150 KR 3.5 EB with the HD tow options, I tow a GD 230RL and put about 16k miles on this combo. I’ve traveled the mountains in the west from AZ to MT to east At through the Ozarks and this combo has worked as well as other combo I’ve seen on the road

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodluck weighing anything
    It would never come to that
    At best they would only ever be able to look at specs of truck and trailer and have nothing else

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    So make sure when you get in a wreck it's a good one where there's debris scattered all over the place. That way they can't sue you for being overweight.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect tort laws are different in Canada than the lawsuit crazy US. Here if you are involved in an accident and it is determined that you are over the "recommended" numbers the jury, most or all unfamiliar with RVing, will hold you responsible. Even if you didn't cause the accident they will assign a certain amount of responsibility for the accident to you based on your exceeding the recommended numbers. And the excuse, " I don't know if I exceeded the numbers because I never weighed my rig." will just be more proof that you were negligent. Welcome to the USA. And heaven help you if there is a fatality involved.
    So, unless you are speaking from first hand experience, using words like WILL hold you responsible, and WILL ASSIGN a certain amount of responsibility are pretty bold statements. I can accept MAY instead of WILL, but I have yet to meet or hear from anyone who has first hand experience in either being sued or knowing someone who was sued, for being in a wreck, and proven to be overweight.

It is a never ending argument in threads like these. There's some who will say your tow vehicle will explode and you will be sued for everything you, your kids, and your grandkids own if you are over by a pound. Then, when you try to find evidence of that, it's never produced.

Can it happen. Sure. Anything CAN happen.

Mike

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast