User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    I guarentee you one thing, you buy a 5th wheel that weighs 14,000 lbs & you have a gas motor. If you dont get the 430 gears it will be the biggest mistake that you ever made. If you plan on pulling a RV in the high country of Colo or the west you will need that gearing up & esp back down the other side of the mtn. That is the reason that they offer different rear end gearing. If a transmission could make up all the difference they would only offer one gear. Period. Trust me, I have pulled in the mtns of Colorado all my life. All the passes many times. With 460 V'8, V10's & diesels. 14,000 lbs is a heck of a tow. Better think wisely.
    Russ
    Well,
    I certainly do not want to make the wrong ordering decision since I want to keep this next Truck for the long haul however, I plan on staying under 12k Gross on the next RV (Fifth Wheel) I know things could change between now and when I do trade/sell my current Travel Trailer. The one we have on our rader is the 278BH Reflection Fifth Wheel. Gross weight I believe is about 10,500 lbs give or take...
    The 3:55 with that weight will do fine from everything I have researched. And again, I realize the safety factor also. As an Ex-Trucker with many years driving and hauling 80k (Gcwr) of Tractor and Trailer in between my Federal and Mill Careers, I take safety paramount.
    I know Diesel is a Great Option but I am going to stay gas for my purpose and I believe the 7.3 is a top choice. I am not Brand loyal and have looked hard at the Gm 6.6 and the Ram Hemi 6.4 but the Ford 7.3 really has my interest.
    Thx Again !

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Russ, if your planning on many mountain trips the 430's will be a big advantage. The power loss at altitude on any non forced induction motor is more than you think. My first trip up high with my old Dodge v-10 I thought I had a major problem. It felt so sluggish.

Now if mountain trips will be rare then go with the 355's it will make it over if needed but just no where near as well.

I also agree, skip the 250. There won't be much difference in cost or ride but it will be more stable pulling no matter what the load.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling over 10,000 pounds with any gas engine takes rpms, so hopefully you don't mind the loud exhaust at 3,500 rpm. Also, research what people get for mileage pulling something that heavy. I agree, go with the F350. You won't notice the difference in ride quality. If you don't want to buy another truck after you get the 5th wheel, I would get a diesel. Maybe not your first choice now, but it will save you money in the end.

I started out with an F-150, then got a 2400bhs, then upgraded to an F350 Diesel, even though we had no plans to get anything bigger. But of course after 2 years we bought a 31 MB. I'm glad I went big and got the diesel one ton so I didn't have to upgrade trucks again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1967 View Post
    Pulling over 10,000 pounds with any gas engine takes rpms, so hopefully you don't mind the loud exhaust at 3,500 rpm. Also, research what people get for mileage pulling something that heavy. I agree, go with the F350. You won't notice the difference in ride quality. If you don't want to buy another truck after you get the 5th wheel, I would get a diesel. Maybe not your first choice now, but it will save you money in the end.
    I started out with an F-150, then got a 2400bhs, then upgraded to an F350 Diesel, even though we had no plans to get anything bigger. But of course after 2 years we bought a 31 MB. I'm glad I went big and got the diesel one ton so I didn't have to upgrade trucks again.

Yea I definitely here you,,,

I bought the F150 first, then after I retired my wife said hey, lets get a Travel Trailer and tour the country. Heck I was all for it even though I had drove thru many states driving an eighteen wheeler I just blew by them. So when we went shopping I wanted to stay at thirty feet or under Loa. I knew that I was going to be at the upper end of my Towing/Payload limit but also knew I was going to buy another truck after a couple years, hence now looking for that next truck...
    We love the layout of the 2600RB however, it would be nice to have that bunk room with a pocket door and some room for a stacked mini washer n dryer. I am determined to keep this TT we have for at least a few years no matter how much the itch is to go fifth wheel. I know the tow experience will be more relaxing and pleasant with the Heavy Duty Truck. I know a lot of folks tow and are satisfied doing doing so in their half tons. I get that, but I know for my peace of mind and especially payload purposes I need a 3/4 ton. I am currently adding support brackets to the rear Rv bumper so I can add a steel dual hitch cargo carrier to carry my Generator and extra fuel. I have been carrying these items in the bed of my truck. This will certainly ease the payload off my truck.

Ill keep you all posted when I make the Truck switch. As of now, the next outing is at the Sea Mist Rv Campground in Virginia Beach in June, then to the Outer Banks. Cheers !

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this on another forum comparing HD gasser longbeds. If you want to stay with a 3/4 gasser and plan a 5er upgrade later, looks like GM has better numbers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C241878-475A-4F78-A0F2-818DAB42EC03.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	32625
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird that the chart doesn't show the 4:30 gears ratings for the Ford, I'm betting they would be higher.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Weird that the chart doesn't show the 4:30 gears ratings for the Ford, I'm betting they would be higher.
    According to fords literature it is only available on the 6.2 but when building one you can select the 4.30 with the 7.3 so......

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always better to over build your truck in the beginning than realize you don't have enough truck. Buying a new truck is expensive, you don't want to do it twice(I did when I bought a F250 and needed a F350).
    Yes the 3.55 will tow okay, you'll just be in 3rd or 4th gear going up steep grades to maintain 55-60 mph. This is my opinion. I always buy the lowest gear available for a gas powered vehicle that will be used for towing.
    My truck is in 10th gear in the city by 45 mph, so I don't think mileage in the city will be much different between 3.55 vs 4,30. It's always better to have too much power than not enough.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought a 2020 f250 with the 7.3 & the 3.55 in august of last year...i LOVED the truck. power for days. it pulled my 2021 2600rb just fine. on a good day (no wind and unloaded) the best gas mileage i got was 14.7 hwy under 70mph. pulling my trailer on mostly flat hwy i got 6mpg. on a long trip that is A LOT of stopping and maneuvering a crowded gas pump. i traded it for diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2024 F350 cc sb lariat 6.7 powerstroke
    2021 imagine 2600rb

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanik1975 View Post
    i bought a 2020 f250 with the 7.3 & the 3.55 in august of last year...i LOVED the truck. power for days. it pulled my 2021 2600rb just fine. on a good day (no wind and unloaded) the best gas mileage i got was 14.7 hwy under 70mph. pulling my trailer on mostly flat hwy i got 6mpg. on a long trip that is A LOT of stopping and maneuvering a crowded gas pump. i traded it for diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. That is ugly. A lot of people in a group I am in also have the 4.30 axle

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast