User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dump Station Etiquette

We've taken our 22mle out a handful of times now and I'm feeling more confident hooking up, unhooking and dumping etc.

I follow the 2/3 black/grey suggestions for dumping and have found a good rhythm; I keep gloves on the drivers side cubby, hose with clear elbow on the drivers side to make things go quicker.

I have a couple questions not quickly covered by Googling.

I stand and watch the black tank drain, but once that finishes and I start the grey tank and the initial 10-20 seconds of water bursts out I head inside to dump a couple of gallons of water (and treatment) back into the black tank. Is it best to watch it the whole time?

How long should I let each tank trickle drain?

Is it okay to use to dump station potable spigot to flush the black tank? The only one I've seen so far had a back flow prevention adapter of sorts on it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are going to find everyone has their own individual routine on this procedure, and there is no absolute right or wrong way. Personally, after 40 years of owning a trailer, I don't spend much time at the dump station. Especially if there are folks behind me waiting to dump.

I don't use my clear plastic elbow because I see no need to witness anything coming out of my tanks. Empty as much of the black and grey tanks as feasible. If you wait for the trickle to stop you will be there forever. It's easy to add a little water and treatment to the black tank when you get home. I use the "Geo Method" solution and I'm good to go until the next trip. You will start to get a good feel of this procedure after a few more trips.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not use the potable water spigot to flush the black tank. Backflow preventor or not, it's a bad practice and a potential serious health hazard.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys meant to say non potable: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/potable

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the replies. Glad to know I'm not doing anything too catastrophically incorrect.

I meant potable. There was the rubber hose on a spring deal to rinse the hose, but also a spigot for potable water - assuming to fill fresh water.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Jane View Post
    Appreciate the replies. Glad to know I'm not doing anything too catastrophically incorrect.

I meant potable. There was the rubber hose on a spring deal to rinse the hose, but also a spigot for potable water - assuming to fill fresh water.
    Then it’s good to go to flush your black tank (so is the non potable IMHO but that’s an argument for another day).

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always travel with some water in the black tank to slosh around to help keep the solids from forming the "mountain of doom" as we full timers call it. Another trick is to put a bag of ice in the toilet right before you travel.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice is a good one. I definitely am trying to make sure we don't encounter any black tank issues.

Still torn about the spigot for the black tank flush. The place we stayed had up signs galore to get around, where to park extra cars etc. Seems like if it wasn't meant for a black tank rinse there would be a sign.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the spigot is there for you to rinse your hoses and connectors, if you want to. Some of the state parks we have visited will have a hose connected with the end cut off to prevent using it for the black tank flush.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a state park and they did have the hose with the cut off end. Along with the potable spigot. Though the station is meant only for people who are staying there, if someone wanted to fill their fresh tank ideally that would be done at their campsite, with filter (if desired) I would think anyhow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast