User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do something to make someone else's day nice

We have all experienced events which have caused us to become disillusioned. In a thread which sparked this topic, someone mentioned it was possibly due to upbringing. It reminded me of a time many years ago where I was taking the truck to the car wash and the line was backed up for a car where the driver was obviously having an issue getting the machine to accept his payment. We had been waiting for about 5 minutes for the driver to get the machine to accept the payment and the line of cars were backed up to the highway. Cars began honking and my son said something to the affect of "Dad, that stupid person the car is holding everyone up". I put truck in park and made my son get out with me and we walked to the front of the line. It was an elderly man who did not speak English well and was as frustrated as anyone else. He only had a $10.00 bill which was wrinkled and the machine would not accept it. I traded cash with him and the machine accepted the money. He thanked us and we walked back to our truck. When we got back to the truck my son said something about everyone being happy the line was now moving. I patiently explained to my son that I thought the situation was pretty sad because there were at least a dozen cars in front of us and half a dozen were honking their horns and voicing their displeasure, but not a single one of them was willing to get out and help a stranger.

Taking a quote from a previous thread "Do something to make someone else's day nice" made me look at what we do for others. I have great neighbors and we regularly do things for each other such as mowing the neighbors lawn, making homemade soup or baked goods etc. The previous quote reminded me of a random act of kindness from a total stranger which was completely unexpected. It was a very simple act and I elected to incorporate this into my habits.

The simple act? "Buying a meal for a total stranger" One day about three years ago I had pulled into a fast food drive through and ordered. It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon. When I got to the window to pay and pick up my order, the employee handed me my meal and said the people in the car in front of me had paid for my meal. My immediate thought was how do I thank them as they had already driven away. I handed the employee my debit card and said I would like to pay for the order for the vehicle behind me.

Now, each time we hit a fast food joint I pay for the car behind me. Not a huge or extravagant thing, but it does make someone else's day nice.

So what habits do you have or practice to make someone else's day nice? The purpose of this thread is not to brag on your own selflessness, but to provide others with examples of random acts of kindness which you do or have experienced so that others may incorporate them into their daily lives.
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 03-13-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Now, each time we hit a fast food joint I pay for the car behind me. Not a huge or extravagant thing, but it does make someone else's day nice.
    Good post.

If you don't mind, what fast food place do you frequent and what time do you usually go there?!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a retired Deputy Sheriff. When I was still working and before it became the "In" thing to publicly hate all Law Enforcement Officers, I would sometimes learn that the car in front of me at a drive through bought my meal. Other times, if I was eating inside a restaurant, people would stop by and say thank you for serving the community. Since I retired, I pay it forward. I buy meals for Law Enforcement, Fire and Rescue personnel or anyone who works a job that is difficult to do and is under appreciated. Throughout my adult life, I've always made sure I take the time and walk up to any Vet I see and thank them for their service. I spend a little extra time with the older Vets. They seem to enjoy the company most of all. So many are alone and forgotten. I want them to know they are still relevant and important in my book. It's the least I can do for the freedoms I enjoy. This winter, I took my new John Deere tractor with a snow blower to clean out neighbors driveways who are too old to be doing that anymore and don't have a lot of money to hire it done.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week my wife and I were out to lunch, not a cheap place, with my sister & BIL. When I went to pay the waitress informed me that the gentleman at another table had already paid. I offered to buy the table a drink but he refused. He had noticed my Vietnam Veteran hat and thanked me for my service. His only request was that I pay it forward at some point. When I got home I tucked a couple $50 bills in my wallet with the intention to honor his request.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be nice to people. All you need to do.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was still working as a florist we had a customer who would give us $20 every week to use at our discression to brighten someones day, sometimes we would break it up into 3 or 4 small bouquets and other times if we found someone who really needed a boost they would get it all , we would add value to it quite often. The shop was in a multi story (14 floors ) office building near the bank and cafeteria so there was never a shortage of people passing by... paying it forward and making someone else that is having a bad day smile feels good, not only to the one you made smile...

Random acts of kindness don't have to cost money, there are many ways to brighten someones day.. we have all had someone in line behind us with only a small handfull of item while our carts are half full. Let them go in front of you..your Ice Cream wont be any softer in the 30 seconds it took to ring them up..It amazes me how many will be so thankful you let them get checked out b4 me. I just smile and say pay it forward

Like they say a little kindness can go a long way to make this a better place

Normally I would move this post to the off topic area but I think if we can reach more here.. maybe it'll make someone here kinder today
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-14-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/