User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp228 View Post
    To keep the shiny side up and the wheels down. I towed it 90 mile one way twice a month to race. That was enough. When that 18 wheeler sneaks up on you and sucks you in then blows you other way you’ll think again about the 3/4 ton truck.
    Did you read his posts?

He has towed this trailer before

It isn’t all new to him

Like I said above your issue with your trailer was a poor hitch set up or poorly loaded trailer

The suck push phenomenon isn’t just felt in half tons. It is felt by everything. You would have to explain how a 2500 eliminates this completely
    Just because it weighs a bit more?

He has a smaller trailer than I and like I said I have had zero issues being passed by semis on the 401

I don’t go over 100kph either

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your like talking to a Democratic down here. Always right.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp228 View Post
    Your like talking to a Democratic down here. Always right.
    Not to get politics involved but the GOP is always right too. Just the nature of politics and forums.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Did you ever think that some of us maybe make short trips and stay longer in one place?

Why the heck would I want a poor fuel economy bad riding truck for the other 350 days I am not towing?

Please though as well state what items are going to fail on his half ton towing this trailer?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    So aggressive with your posts when someone disagrees with you

The OP asked for advice and opinions. What I like about this site is that ALL are welcome. How about presenting yours and the let the rest of us present ours without your point and then counterpoint. No one here as far as I see posts malicious argumentative advice. Of course we all post from our own perspective and personal experience....that’s why the advice is different. I have faith he/ she can sift through it aND apply what best applies to him and his situation.

The OP I thought went from a pop up to a GD. Maybe I misread that. Yes of course if he is only going 10 miles a few times a year it makes no sense to invest in a truck which is easily capable of handling his camper easily. ( of course set up properly is a given) but he asked for advice. Maybe with a more capable truck he would expand his trips and towing distance

With regards to bad riding trucks, maybe you should try or research different ones. Our Ram 2500 with springs has a good ride for a truck. No one buys a truck looking for a gas saver. It’s a given that they suck fuel. I’m sorry if all the larger trucks / setups you’ve ridden in have had bad rides.

Trucks are different than SUVs , cars etc. They are constructed differently. Most of us are probably educated enough to realize that before purchasing one. I have a top of the line Toyota SUV also. Our Ram 2500 has almost all the creature comforts and new safety additions. And yes it’s a TRUCK with corresponding and appropriate gas mileage as well as towing capabilities. My Toyota is a different ride, but it can’t pull my 2500rl.
    Last edited by RV Sailor; 02-15-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silverado 5.3L V8 1500 Crew Cab vs 2500 HD **Gas**

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    So aggressive with your posts when someone disagrees with you

The OP asked for advice and opinions. What I like about this site is that ALL are welcome. How about presenting yours and the let the rest of us present ours without your point and then counterpoint. No one here as far as I see posts malicious argumentative advice. Of course we all post from our own perspective and personal experience....that’s why the advice is different. I have faith he/ she can sift through it aND apply what best applies to him and his situation.

The OP I thought went from a pop up to a GD. Maybe I misread that. Yes of course if he is only going 10 miles a few times a year it makes no sense to invest in a truck which is easily capable of handling his camper easily. ( of course set up properly is a given) but he asked for advice. Maybe with a more capable truck he would expand his trips and towing distance

With regards to bad riding trucks, maybe you should try or research different ones. Our Ram 2500 with springs has a good ride for a truck. No one buys a truck looking for a gas saver. It’s a given that they suck fuel. I’m sorry if all the larger trucks / setups you’ve ridden in have had bad rides.

Trucks are different than SUVs , cars etc. They are constructed differently. Most of us are probably educated enough to realize that before purchasing one. I have a top of the line Toyota SUV also. Our Ram 2500 has almost all the creature comforts and new safety additions. And yes it’s a TRUCK with corresponding and appropriate gas mileage as well as towing capabilities. My Toyota is a different ride, but it can’t pull my 2500rl.
    It is funny you say “I” am aggressive with my posts when someone disagrees with me but.....

The OP made a comment that he decided to stay with a 1500 and your first comment was
    “Your are going to ignore payload?”

Like you said above “I have faith he/she can sift through and best apply what is best for them”
    The OP did that and instead of saying nothing or nice choice you argue payload

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-15-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the posts. I did upgrade from a pop up last fall to the 23BHE, and so far I love the trailer. I would have gotten the 21BHE, but my wife wanted the 23BHE and we compromised and went with the 23BHE.

I have a 4 and 6 year old, so for me efficiently and comfort are very important, but feeling of safety is #1, within reason.

As I understand it, any reasonable truck (not Chevy Colorado) is going to have the Payload and GCWR well within spec for my trailer. Also, no plans to go bigger at this time.

While the general reaction is that an HD Gaser would be better towing, it wouldn’t be like going from gas to diesel where it is truly exceptional.

I’m looking forward to reporting on towing with the 3L Babymax Diesel vs my 5.3 Gas.

Also looking forward to camping season and maybe doing a real life tow challenge comparing HD gasser, 5.3 gasser, and 3L Duramax diesel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellionprime View Post
    Thank you all for the posts. I did upgrade from a pop up last fall to the 23BHE, and so far I love the trailer. I would have gotten the 21BHE, but my wife wanted the 23BHE and we compromised and went with the 23BHE.

I have a 4 and 6 year old, so for me efficiently and comfort are very important, but feeling of safety is #1 , within reason.

As I understand it, any reasonable truck (not Chevy Colorado) is going to have the Payload and GCWR well within spec for my trailer. Also, no plans to go bigger at this time.

While the general reaction is that an HD Gaser would be better towing, it wouldn’t be like going from gas to diesel where it is truly exceptional.

I’m looking forward to reporting on towing with the 3L Babymax Diesel vs my 5.3 Gas.

Also looking forward to camping season and maybe doing a real life tow challenge comparing HD gasser, 5.3 gasser, and 3L Duramax diesel.
    That’s cool. Many of the diesel models actually have less payload capacity than their counterpart gassers. For instance the diesel in the Ram 2500 ( 6.4 410 hp Hemi) has less payload capacity by 300 than the diesel. It’s because it weighs so much more

Good luck with your new truck and camper
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It is funny you say “I” am aggressive with my posts when someone disagrees with me but.....

The OP made a comment that he decided to stay with a 1500 and your first comment was
    “Your are going to ignore payload?”

Like you said above “I have faith he/she can sift through and best apply what is best for them”
    The OP did that and instead of saying nothing or nice choice you argue payload

2021 Imagine 2400 BH

My post wasn’t in direct relation to what the OP commented on but was general in nature. Usually I put the persons statement in quotes if I’m directly responding like I did here.

I think he got lots of good opinions from many of us and his inquiry was answered.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellionprime View Post
    I have a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with 5.3L V8, Crew Cab Short bed. I have a 2020 Imagine XLS 23BHE, about 5,500lbs. Equalizer E2 hitch

I drove the rig from Minneapolis to the Black Hills in South Dakota with my wife and kids, 30mi/hr winds both ways, this past Fall.

I have been to Yellowstone twice with my previous Pop-Up camper, and we are going again this summer in the 23BHE.

My question is this: Without bringing up numbers, should I upgrade to a 2021 Silverado HD gasser? And for those that have upgraded, how does it “feel” compared from a 1500 to an HD? How do you like the larger mirrors? Gas tank size? Power? Stability? Etc....
    I towed a trailer slightly heavier than yours with a 1500, but mine had 3.73 gears and it struggled. I traded for a regular 2500, then traded for a trailer that weighed about 8,000 loaded, it did ok but needed a little more power so I traded for a 2016 2500 HD with 4.10 gears and 6 speed trans. Huge difference! Now I have a Grand Design Reflection that probably weighs close to 9,000 loaded, (have not weighed it yet, but dry weight is almost 8,000). Ok now for the comparison from 1500 to 2500. More braking, stiffer springs equals better handling, more power not just from the engine but the gearing. Mirrors, LOVE the large mirrors, would not want to tow without them!

With the trailer weight you have, you would be OK with a 1500, but the towing would be much better with the 2500! Really the only thing you give up is ride, the 2500 does not ride as good as 1500, everything else is better with the 2500, well, except gas mileage! I get about 14 to 15 running empty and about 8 towing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed an Imagine 2800BH with an F150 with a 5.0 litre V8 (No Ecoboom), lots of power to tow and felt it was all the truck I needed. Last year traded the truck and trailer for a 2500HD with a 6.6L gas engine because we went with a 5th wheel. I towed the TT with the 2500 a couple of times before the 5th wheel was available and noticed a big difference between towing with the F150 and the 2500. The 5.0L F150 would not go over 5th gear and high revs, but still plenty of power but the 2500, with the stiffer suspension and more weight just held the road better. The F150 had a lot of white knuckle moments in high winds or alongside a transports but with the 2500 (and 5th wheel) set the cruise and forget about it. Like some of the other comments, I drive the 2500 empty 95% of the time so its an expensive commuter vehicle, but everything comes with a price so I will spend the extra on gas to have the truck and trailer we want.
    My 2 cents worth. Keep the change.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast