User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front storage compartment for generator.

Question for all y'all!

We have a 2021 320MKS. Did not have/get the generator prep done when we ordered it. I want to put the Morryde generator/battery tray up there, and wouldn't like to know if I need to reinforce the tray. It's diamond plate steel, 1/16" thick, I think.

I haven't looked under it yet, do I don't know if I need to reinforce the bottom with brackets, or what.

I know I'll need to rearrange my batteries, so that's not a big deal. I also know I'll need a riser to get the bottom of the shelf higher than the bottom edge of the compartment door opening.

If anyone has any insight or knowledge on this, I look forward to your advice! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it's not diamond plate, it's 3/16" rolled steel sheet. that is welded to the sides and back, as far as I can tell. Underneath, It looks like I'm going to need to add 2 2" angle iron pieces the width of the compartment to safely hold the weight and to bolt the riser and tray down. Now, do I have a metal shop weld the angle iron, or bolt it to the frame? I need to call around to some metal shops here in town and get prices.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, it's not diamond plate, it's 3/16" rolled steel sheet. that is welded to the sides and back, as far as I can tell. Underneath, It looks like I'm going to need to add 2 2" angle iron pieces the width of the compartment to safely hold the weight and to bolt the riser and tray down. Now, do I have a metal shop weld the angle iron, or bolt it to the frame? I need to call around to some metal shops here in town and get prices.
    Curious, what did you decide to do? I am planning to carry our Gen up front as well. Thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Curious, what did you decide to do? I am planning to carry our Gen up front as well. Thanks, Frank.
    Lol! In the bed of the truck. I'd love to put it in the front compartment, but I'm not going to be able to get it in and out easily.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sliding tray idea didn't work?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    The sliding tray idea didn't work?
    It would work, however, my back isn't good for lifting 100 lbs of generator while bending over.

I really over engineered it for the generator. If I could do a ramp with it, without adding more weight, it would be perfect.

Rodeoing as a younger man wasn't a smart idea as an older man.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, thanks for the replies. I understand at 76, I can't do as I used to. My two collage student grandsons are a blessing.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, similar back and age issues here. When I get our truck - Ram 3500 short bed DRW, I am going to attempt the installation of a truck hoist to lift hitch, batteries, portable black water tank, etc., in and out of the truck bed. It should also work to sneak batteries (and a generator if you need to) into the front compartment of our Solitude 380FL without the bent-over-back risk. The issue will be if I can mount the hoist without risking a bent truck bed - 50/50 at this point. If it works, I'll post sources and pictures.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Hi Guys, similar back and age issues here. When I get our truck - Ram 3500 short bed DRW, I am going to attempt the installation of a truck hoist to lift hitch, batteries, portable black water tank, etc., in and out of the truck bed. It should also work to sneak batteries (and a generator if you need to) into the front compartment of our Solitude 380FL without the bent-over-back risk. The issue will be if I can mount the hoist without risking a bent truck bed - 50/50 at this point. If it works, I'll post sources and pictures.
    Interesting, what type of hoist? Thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like the attached picture. The one shown is from Northerntool.com. I have one from Harborfreight which is essentially the same thing. They run about $150. The issue is reinforcing the truck bed or mounting the hoist on sufficient structure under the bed to prevent creasing or buckling. I am going to have to look at the under-structure of the truck bed when I get the truck to see what is possible. Hopefully I'll figure something out because it would solve a lot of lifting problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails truck bed hoist.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast