User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post
    How long of trips are you planning? That is of NO importance! How short do you want to be able to stop is the question. Doesn't matter if you die 5 miles from home or 5000 miles.
    What are you talking about?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Lincoln Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I wouldn't put my family at that risk, you would be over gross weight, but that is not the real problem try to stop all that weight when you REALLY have to.
    I wouldn't.
    This is dramatic
    A navigator or a Tahoe will stop this trailer as fast in a panic as anything else

It weighs almost the same a 3/4 ton.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be fine if you use a good weight distribution hitch. We have a 2020 Ford Expedition platinum and before that a 2019 Ford Expedition limited. So pretty much the same as a Lincoln. We have pulled a 28ft enclosed weighing around #7900 lbs and a tongue weight of around 900 and we were fine. We live up North with crappy highways and the trailer was tracking straight. Even pulls better than our 2020 f150.Hope this helps and good luck.

2019 f450 platinum
    2020 310gk
    2021 Aluma 18ft aluminum flatbed
    2020 Polaris razor highlifter
    2018 Polaris sportsman 450
    2021 can-am XMR 570

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on purchasing a GD!
    You will see lots of opinions here, but little backed up with facts or asking questions like do you have the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package. Only you will truly be able to decide by calculating your numbers, ability, and comfort zone. Technically you are well within your towing capabilities starting off. I have a similar set-up and used Marc & Trish from KYD GVWR Spreadsheet calculator Read more here: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/. There are plenty out there you can also find that might be already plugged in with Lincoln Navigator GVWR, Payload, F/R Axle weight numbers.

Here is one thing to note. Your Navigator does have an adaptive suspension which adjusts for load, so those people saying your vehicle is too soft don't know your vehicle specifications, and that it has several built-in towing features even in std. trim.

As I said I have a similar set up. Yukon Denali (8100 towing, 800lb. tongue capacity), GD Imagine 2800BH (UVW: 6,386 lbs | GVWR: 7,995 lbs | Hitch Weight: 604 lbs). Wife, kid & two Golden retrievers. Your Navigator Payload is calculated assuming a driver & full fuel tank. So don't count yourself, just count wife, kid, dog, and what you put in the back of the SUV as your payload. I go by the 80% rule. When I decided what rig to buy I wanted to make sure I would only be at 80% of my max when fully loaded. I don't go boondocking, so I don't have a full fresh water tank. we like to go glamping, so we have a lot of stuff, and on the CAT scale I am below my 80 percent full stocked. Invest in a very good weight distributing hitch with anti-sway, and take it to a CAT scale to get your weights so you know your starting numbers. Even with all my stuff, and I upgrade to 30# tanks, my stuff in the rig only came to 360lbs. fully stocked.

Enjoy!
    Best regards,

We picked up our rig in Utah, and drove back to So Cal, no problem, high altitude (8500 ft.), and lots up & down grades with no issues. no problem pulling it or with big rigs passing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I wouldn't put my family at that risk, you would be over gross weight, but that is not the real problem try to stop all that weight when you REALLY have to.
    I wouldn't.
    What would put me over gross weight? My sticker says 7500 GVWR 5845 Curb Weight 14500 GCVWR. So if I get a TT 6250 or lighter, that keeps me under GCVWR if I keep the CVWR under 7500. The confusing part of what my sticker says is SAE J2807 Trailer Weight Rating (TWR) for Vehicle Configuartion.
    Conventional TWR 8200 Lbs
    Max Tongue Weight 820 Lbs.

If I run run the numbers, they're not subtracting the tongue weight from the usable payload.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    The tongue weight seems to be the problem. Man now I don't know what to do.
    MrComperoni because this thread has devolved and is not really helping I suggest you get off and go find find a couple payload-towing calculators. Find one that works for you and try to keep your data honest so you can better determine if you can tow the camper you want. Besides the important payload sticker in your door jamb there will be another on your receiver hitch that gives capacities. The Equalizer 4 point is a good weight distribution hitch, that's one thing you don't want to cheap out on.
    You could try reading through this from Curt Mfg: https://www.curtmfg.com/introduction
    When you read through to the bottom go to chapter 4, "What is my tow capacity" and understand it. Find out the real world weights beforehand so you can use actual data to get truthful input. When and if you feel comfortable and confident with the numbers then consider buying that camper.
    One more thing if I may. You didn't mention it but if a salesman told you your Lincoln could tow that trailer, keep this in mind. That salesman's objective is selling the most trailer he can and at the end of the day isn't whiteknuckling down the road with it.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-21-2021 at 01:31 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This is dramatic
    A navigator or a Tahoe will stop this trailer as fast in a panic as anything else

It weighs almost the same a 3/4 ton.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Cant disagree more with NBCanada,
    Stopping inertia of the whole tandem is not just the brakes.
    The suspension of the vehicle comes into play.
    Comparing a Tahoe built on a truck frame to a Lincoln Navigator is apple as and oranges.
    In the horse community you see plenty of Tahoe’s pulling trailers. I’ve never seen a Navigator
    The danger of the internet is that misinformation given off the cuff can take on it being fact just because it is posted. No one ever asks for credentials, therefore anyone can have an opinion about anything.

I am not a professional so when it came to a towing vehicle I asked professionals. I really wanted some kind of SUV because the ride without the trailer is much better than a truck I thought. I was pleasantly surprised at the new trucks. Roomy comfortable, .

Like I have mentioned previous posts, use your common sense and senses. Use your eyes, look around you, how many 25
    ft + trailers weighing over 6000 lbs do you see attached to Lincoln Navigators, Toyota Landcruises, Ford Excursions.
    Very few compared to any trucks. I’ll bet there is a reason. I’ll bet those pulling have figured out that the trucks are overall better equipped to tow and control the trailer. Pulling power is 1/2 the equation. Payload capacity is an equal part. Suspension is part of that as is gear ratio, suspension type, axel type . Ask a professional who hauls. I have. Their businesses depend on reliable vehicles built appropriately to handle the tasks. Towing a trailer is hauling.

Common sense says you may be able to use an SUV in many situations, but safety says to not just worry about the mundane everyday but loook at the emergency or other situations. Huge difference going up the Appalachian mountains between a 2500 vs a 1500 even with similarly equipped engines. Same differences exist between SUV and even 1500 trucks.
    I have experienced this personally.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Lincoln Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Cant disagree more with NBCanada,
    Stopping inertia of the whole tandem is not just the brakes.
    The suspension of the vehicle comes into play.
    Comparing a Tahoe built on a truck frame to a Lincoln Navigator is apple as and oranges.
    In the horse community you see plenty of Tahoe’s pulling trailers. I’ve never seen a Navigator
    The danger of the internet is that misinformation given off the cuff can take on it being fact just because it is posted. No one ever asks for credentials, therefore anyone can have an opinion about anything.

I am not a professional so when it came to a towing vehicle I asked professionals. I really wanted some kind of SUV because the ride without the trailer is much better than a truck I thought. I was pleasantly surprised at the new trucks. Roomy comfortable, .

Like I have mentioned previous posts, use your common sense and senses. Use your eyes, look around you, how many 25
    ft + trailers weighing over 6000 lbs do you see attached to Lincoln Navigators, Toyota Landcruises, Ford Excursions.
    Very few compared to any trucks. I’ll bet there is a reason. I’ll bet those pulling have figured out that the trucks are overall better equipped to tow and control the trailer. Pulling power is 1/2 the equation. Payload capacity is an equal part. Suspension is part of that as is gear ratio, suspension type, axel type . Ask a professional who hauls. I have. Their businesses depend on reliable vehicles built appropriately to handle the tasks. Towing a trailer is hauling.

Common sense says you may be able to use an SUV in many situations, but safety says to not just worry about the mundane everyday but loook at the emergency or other situations. Huge difference going up the Appalachian mountains between a 2500 vs a 1500 even with similarly equipped engines. Same differences exist between SUV and even 1500 trucks.
    I have experienced this personally.
    I am quite sure the likelihood of seeing a Tahoe vs a Nav is based solely on production ,price and availability than capability

You do you. Enjoy

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-21-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    What are you talking about?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Just what it says. Someone asked how long of trips was he planning as if that makes it safer if they were short trips. If you can't stop, you can't stop. Doesn't matter if you are 5miles or 5000miles
    from home, get it now?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post
    Just what it says. Someone asked how long of trips was he planning as if that makes it safer if they were short trips. If you can't stop, you can't stop. Doesn't matter if you are 5miles or 5000miles
    from home, get it now?
    Whatever fella. Done with this thread. It has gone off the rails as most on here do

What proof do you have that this vehicle will not be able to stop his trailer as fast as a 3/4 ton towing a 11000 pound trailer or a 1 ton towing 25000 lbs?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast