Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Maybe. But some half tons have bigger brakes than 3/4 tons
    Trailers also have brakes to aid in stopping

A 2500 with worn brakes won’t stop faster than a 1/2 ton with new brakes
    My Sierra also has down hill assist. I think every truck uses this technology
    Driving through Fundy national park I only have to use the brakes slightly. The truck does the rest
    As far as “reaching max” and climbing a hill?? It doesn’t really go together
    I am quite positive “if I wanted too” I could crest a grade just as fast as a 2500 with a gas or a diesel loaded up
    It is okay to rev a gas engine. 4000 rpms doesn’t hurt them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch weight you quote of 594 lbs. is an advertised empty hitch weight. Loaded, that hitch weight will more likely be in the 800 - 900 lb. range (could be over 900 if loaded to GVWR). Here's a helpful tool:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance is spot on. Here are my real world numbers of our 2020 2600rb. This is loaded for camping. Cargo is me and Mrs skreef along with full tank of gas, minimum items in the truck, and full propane bottles. No water in any of the holding tanks. Correctly adjusted WDH.

2609rb - 6,860 lbs
    Tongue - 840 lbs (12.9%)
    Truck Cargo Weight - 1,390 lbs

Your problem is going to be with your cargo carrying capacity. Shifting weight to the back of the trailer might give you less tongue weight but already I'm only at 12.9%. Less than that and the trailer is more prone to sway.
    Last edited by ckreef; 02-15-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t mean to be short, but you’re looking for a definitive answer when there is a great deal of gray area. You obviously know your numbers. So:

By the numbers, you can tow your trailer safely provided:
    1. You use a premium WD Hitch that also has sway reduction.
    2. Your truck is in optimal safety condition, mechanically
    3. You don’t overload your truck with passengers / cargo

Even so, you will still have times when your trailer is influencing your truck more than the reverse. It’s during those times (like the downhill turn scenario listed earlier) you will have to be sure you are aware of the physics of the setup. Make sure you use caution and keep an eye on the numbers.

That being said, I had a similar situation with my RAM 1500 with a 3.21 rear end. When we switched to a 2500 with a 3.71 rear end we gained 5k lbs more towing capacity and over 1000 lbs more cargo capacity. With a built in break controller and auto levelers, that thing makes a world of difference.

So be safe, go slow, you’ll be fine. But when you are able, upgrade your truck. You won’t believe the difference.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the information. While I understand there's not a one size fits all, seems like it boils down to we can tow it, but how much do we want to be pushing the bar for what we should be towing.
    We just got the 1500 last year, and looking at additional TT we can tow with a 1500 we're limited more than we thought. Talking now if it's worth getting a 2500 now or waiting it out and getting a 2500 down the road.

Really appreciate all of the information this forum has provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you’re seeing the bigger picture. A half ton truck can do a lot of things, but when it comes to pulling, it’s the baby of the pack. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are made for that purpose. That’s why, IMHO, 1/2 ton towable fifth wheels are a marketing created fallacy. The half ton truck, even maxxed out for towing, just doesn’t have the stones.

Let us know if you get a RAM 2500. My wife loves hers.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the same TT. Taking possession in 3 weeks. I was on the fence with my 2020 f150 3.5 eco boost. I’m sitting back and reading the comments now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvestravel View Post
    Thanks for all the information. While I understand there's not a one size fits all, seems like it boils down to we can tow it, but how much do we want to be pushing the bar for what we should be towing.
    We just got the 1500 last year, and looking at additional TT we can tow with a 1500 we're limited more than we thought. Talking now if it's worth getting a 2500 now or waiting it out and getting a 2500 down the road.

Really appreciate all of the information this forum has provided.
    I commend you for doing your homework now. Your margins are slim... I think you'll be under GCVWR, but your payload of 1200 is concerning. Ram 1500s are notorious for low payload ratings. So, let's start there. You state 1200 lbs for payload. Take 1200 minus the weight of yourself, your dear wife, and the pooch. With this number will reflect the allowable tongue weight. The weight sheet of the TT will probably show a tongue weight closer to 800 lbs, then you need to add the weight of a WDH, and you need to add the weight of the stuff you put in the front bay. Your profile doesn't state where you live, but on flat land you may be OK. Personally i would look at more truck or a smaller trailer.

I'm in kinda the same boat. My truck is more than capable, but when we bring the kayaks we are maxed out on payload/GVWR towing our 22 MLE. We love to go to Colorado and with the grades, a 3/4 ton is in my future.

You have some tough decisions ahead of you and I hope you make the one that is best for you and your family.

Safe and happy travels.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your cargo and passenger weight is very low. I pull a 2500RL with a 2020 F150 4x4 with a cargo and passenger limit of 2066#. Your hitch weight, truck bed cover, passengers weight and everything you carry in your truck has to be under this weight. I haul a generator, fuel for the generator, a Jackery, tools and etc. in the covered truck bed.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I think your cargo and passenger weight is very low. I pull a 2500RL with a 2020 F150 4x4 with a cargo and passenger limit of 2066#. Your hitch weight, truck bed cover, passengers weight and everything you carry in your truck has to be under this weight. I haul a generator, fuel for the generator, a Jackery, tools and etc. in the covered truck bed.
    “Should be” under this weight not “has to be”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast