User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking with the addition of Helper Springs, Sumo Springs or Timbrens you could artificially raise the available payload on a 2500HD. Not the legal payload but what the truck could effectively carry without having a problem. Of course you might be in trouble if you got in a wreck and the cause was being overweight but like in my case where I'm legal but pretty much maxed out towing my 311BHS, adding something could offer me some peace of mind.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The numbers look good for your truck’s payload and trailer. If you want to reduce weight just don’t fully fill your fresh water tank until you get to your destination. Save money on fuel with a lighter load. Water is less expensive than Diesel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayman07770 View Post
    The numbers look good for your truck’s payload and trailer. If you want to reduce weight just don’t fully fill your fresh water tank until you get to your destination. Save money on fuel with a lighter load. Water is less expensive than Diesel.
    Thanks, I never travel with water and I'm close to max weights according to the CAT scale with a full fuel tank, me and my wife and some "Stuff" in the truck but I am legal as I pack carefully (light stuff goes in the front of the camper, heavy stuff behind the axels). Doing it that way gets me to about 2500Lbs on the pin. I know the numbers manufacturers put on these trucks leaves some wiggle room but having peace of mind is always a good thing.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same setup as you and pack carefully as well. Once the warranty is over on my 2500. I’m upgrading to a 3500 SRW. The ability to carry more payload brings better peace of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I'm thinking with the addition of Helper Springs, Sumo Springs or Timbrens you could artificially raise the available payload on a 2500HD. Not the legal payload but what the truck could effectively carry without having a problem. Of course you might be in trouble if you got in a wreck and the cause was being overweight but like in my case where I'm legal but pretty much maxed out towing my 311BHS, adding something could offer me some peace of mind.
    Helper springs, Sumo springs, and my favorite Airbags will help a truck carry a heavy load. I prefer airbags so you can adjust how much extra support you need and let the air out when you’re unloaded. Nothing you add will increase the legal available payload capacity.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered a Sierra 2500HD gas first week of January. 10 days ago got a call from the salesman that GM wouldn't build the truck as ordered (even though the computer took the order) and it was voided. After some thinking and more research we just reordered a 3500HD instead based on the likelihood of moving up in the future. For some reason the build we want when put on a 3500 instead of a 2500 only increased the cost $400 to go 1 ton so it was a no brainer. Every source I've found says the only difference is the rear spring pack. The reason for this thread was to see what people say about the ride of a 3500. FWIW a guy on another forum said he drove a new 3500 and it rode better than his 2017 3500. Now the question is when we'll get it. We were expecting to take delivery about now and instead we're starting the clock over. A 3500 is huge overkill for the trailer we have now but I'm betting that will change in a couple of years and I don't want to buy another truck for a long time. I really like the Titan but it's been a disappointment what little I've towed with it.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    We ordered a Sierra 2500HD gas first week of January. 10 days ago got a call from the salesman that GM wouldn't build the truck as ordered (even though the computer took the order) and it was voided. After some thinking and more research we just reordered a 3500HD instead based on the likelihood of moving up in the future. For some reason the build we want when put on a 3500 instead of a 2500 only increased the cost $400 to go 1 ton so it was a no brainer. Every source I've found says the only difference is the rear spring pack. The reason for this thread was to see what people say about the ride of a 3500. FWIW a guy on another forum said he drove a new 3500 and it rode better than his 2017 3500. Now the question is when we'll get it. We were expecting to take delivery about now and instead we're starting the clock over. A 3500 is huge overkill for the trailer we have now but I'm betting that will change in a couple of years and I don't want to buy another truck for a long time. I really like the Titan but it's been a disappointment what little I've towed with it.
    Not sure how it compares to a Titan, but we are loving our new 3500hd. It's an impressive machine and drives very comfortably. Not like old school pickups that would knock your fillings lose on every bump.
    Good luck with the new truck!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Silverado 4x4 Z71 3500HD with the diesel. I use it as my DD and after getting used to the turning radius (I upgraded from a Jeep Grand Cherokee), I really love it.

It rides like a truck, but wheels and tires play a big roll in how harsh that ride can be. We have 18'" wheels and I added 295/70 Falken Wildpeaks. Rides better then the factory tires for sure and I still have a 4000 lbs rating on the tire.

We also added SumoSprings Rebel's to ours (rear only) and only have about and inch to an inch and a half of squat when the fifth wheel is hitched (Reflection 310RLS). Not sure how that compares to before as we didn't have the 5th wheel at that point. So far we haven't taken it on longer outings yet due to rainy wet weather, and work obligations which wont ease up for another month or so. So far I'm happy with the SumoSprings Rebel's help with the ride and don't hesitate in recommending them.

Best of luck!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Wander View Post
    We have a 2021 Silverado 4x4 Z71 3500HD with the diesel. I use it as my DD and after getting used to the turning radius (I upgraded from a Jeep Grand Cherokee), I really love it.

It rides like a truck, but wheels and tires play a big roll in how harsh that ride can be. We have 18'" wheels and I added 295/70 Falken Wildpeaks. Rides better then the factory tires for sure and I still have a 4000 lbs rating on the tire.

We also added SumoSprings Rebel's to ours (rear only) and only have about and inch to an inch and a half of squat when the fifth wheel is hitched (Reflection 310RLS). Not sure how that compares to before as we didn't have the 5th wheel at that point. So far we haven't taken it on longer outings yet due to rainy wet weather, and work obligations which wont ease up for another month or so. So far I'm happy with the SumoSprings Rebel's help with the ride and don't hesitate in recommending them.

Best of luck!
    With that light of a 5th wheel, you likely wouldn't have had any additional squat with your 3500. I only get 2 1/2" of squat on my 2500 and my 5th wheel is a couple thousand pounds heavier than yours.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Tell the dealer the full weight of the rig, also. I assume this is same in all US states, but in NC when I registered the dealer submitted me for a 25,000 lbs tag. The vehicle tag accounts for the GWVR of the fully connected rig. I had no idea either, but my sales guy knew to ask how we are going to use the truck.
    States do things differently. Kansas goes by GCWR not GVWR. RVs with built-in toilet and plumb is exempt from the requirement of counting the weight of the RV. I register my 1 ton for 11,500 but that did meant if I hookup a cargo trailer and exceeded 11.500 GCWR I could be fined.

In Kansas, you can register your truck for a GCWR between 8,000 and 80,000 pounds(anything over 12,000 pound goes in 2000 pound jumps) your choice but your still can't exceed your vehicle's manufacture ratings but the state will take your money.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast