User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salesperson will tell you anything to make a sale. If you do what he’s telling you then have them put it in writing. I’ll be willing to bet they won’t do that. Good luck

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I Google'd, searched and even called a couple places.... While YES if you have a 3/4 ton (F250 2500) and the sticker says it is rated for say 9.000 lbs split up between the front an rear axle, you can add springs/Air bags and change the tires accordingly to rate it to 10,000 lbs. Due to the Federal government rates a 3/4 ton weight from 8501 to 10,000 lbs is a Light/Medium Duty truck and then you are charged accordingly in the state you are registered for weight fees.

Once you exceed 10,001 lbs you now fall in to the 1 ton weight range which is a whole other classification, higher weight fees. 1 ton is rated 10,001 to 14,000 lbs which is a Medium Duty truck.
    I could not find anyone that would re-classify a 3/4 to to 1 ton classification. You could but it would be new front/rear axles, brakes, rims and tires, springs. Then go to your local DMV have it inspected to rate it as a 1 ton By the time you get done might as well bought a 1 ton.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 3.35.52 PM.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	466.9 KB 
ID:	33003
    Last edited by N6ZCM1; 03-27-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDillow View Post
    Bag will do nothing for your CCC. They are only for leveling purposes.

I had to have an extra spring put on my 2018 F250 so I could tow my 2018 GD 320MKS. The installation was done through the RV dealer (Lazy Days - Tampa) but done at a place called Tampa Springs. Once they added the extra leaf spring they issued me a new DOT sticker with the increase values that is on the inside door panel near the MFG's sticker. The extra spring gave me an extra 450 LB's of CCC and keep me within my CCC limits with the pin weight of my GD. All this kept me within the limits of my rear axle and I didn't have to upgrade tires either.

Name:	Orig DOT Sticker.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	33004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revised DOT Sticker.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	33005

Here is my original and revised DOT stickers after having the extra leaf spring added. I was told the cost was about $1000 and the RV dealer paid it.
    David & Kathy Dillow
    2018 Reflection 320MKS
    2018 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 LB Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my original and revised DOT stickers after having the extra leaf spring added. I was told the cost was about $1000 and the RV dealer paid it.

Oh boy

2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Oh boy

Yep, Not an Oh Boy,

Tampa Spring is one of a few that have been granted authority to increase GVWR and GAWR on certain F-250s with the addition of a leaf spring. They’ve been doing this for at least 4 years that I’m aware of.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 03-27-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ItchinToGo and N6ZCM1 both make critical points. Adding bags and springs will increase carrying capacity, but won't give you a safer unit until you upgrade all the other systems of the truck to accommodate that increased capacity you've just added. That salesman won't be there when you get into trouble on the side of the road or at trial after you've had an accident. Get the truck with the capacity you need in all phases of operating on the road, starting, stopping and maneuvering. You and DW will be a lot happier.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And when you were hanging off the side of a bridge by your safety chains and you have just lost everything you own, your insurance company is going to say Sorry Charlie!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Yep, Not an Oh Boy,

Tampa Spring is one of a few that have been granted authority to increase GVWR on certain 250s with the addition of a leaf spring.
    Yes, I get it, always have. Just anxiously waiting for how that gets explained away. I not only legal, its not that hard. The hard part is finding someone to assume the liability.

Does anyone actually have any proof that the dealer in question isn't doing the same thing? Or just the normal dealer bashing? Frankly, setting up an official system to do it would be a brilliant business plan.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s a nice option for a lot of people. My concern would be the rear axle. I take it the spring was the only limiting factor in this case. If anyone can shed more specifics about that axle’s true max rating I would be interested. It makes sense to be able to up your GVWR if your axles can support and you are ok telling the govt you have a 1 ton truck (which is the only reason modern 3/4s exist, to get around taxes).
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good article explaining the process. Even has input from the NHTSA

https://fifthwheelst.com/altering_ve...ification.html
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast