User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
    Always appreciate advice. One question. If you do the pull test with the trailer brakes on, don’t you want your landing gear down, at least partially? If not, you stand a pretty good chance of pulling it out of the hitch and doing what I just did of it isn’t locked in properly. Or is that just your last double check to make sure it doesn’t drop on the Highway
    Unless there's a likelihood that the trailer can roll back on its own (an un-level site AND brake failure) I usually do it with the jacks up, ready to roll if the creep test is successful.

As I've emphasized, the creep test is done very gently and slowly so if the trailer starts to move much at all I can stop the truck while it's still under the trailer. Raising the jacks only an inch or two before this test, and then getting out of the truck and finishing the departure routines is even safer, and I guess I can understand you being more nervous about that. YMMV.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are new to 5th wheels and learned a horrible lesson yesterday. We got a little sloppy pulling our Solitude out. My wife backed up the truck. I heard a click. Closed the arm on the B&W hitch, put in the safety pin, raised the landing gear. I never looked to make sure the kingpin was locked in place. It wasn't. Side rails of the truck damaged, tailgate a total loss along with my self-esteem.

I share this just so my mistake may be a reminder to everyone not to get sloppy when hitching and unhitching. Fortunately, insurance will cover less the $500 deductible. An expensive lesson for sure.

Chris
    Been there done that with my first 5th wheel. It only takes once........
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join the club. Every time you move to either pickup or drop a trailer, the tailgate must be down. I was fortunate to have not retracted my landing gear but a few inches, and the damage was just to the tailgate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing your experience. You give the community a reason to continue to read these blogs, and learn from mistakes. I hope all get repaired to your satisfaction. Safe travels.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demco hitch

We are new to 5th wheels and learned a horrible lesson yesterday. We got a little sloppy pulling our Solitude out. My wife backed up the truck. I heard a click. Closed the arm on the B&W hitch, put in the safety pin, raised the landing gear. I never looked to make sure the kingpin was locked in place. It wasn't. Side rails of the truck damaged, tailgate a total loss along with my self-esteem.

I share this just so my mistake may be a reminder to everyone not to get sloppy when hitching and unhitching. Fortunately, insurance will cover less the $500 deductible. An expensive lesson for sure.

Chris
    Demco hitch has a lock bar, so there is no mistake if it's locked or not. Easy to see a bar across the hitch opening and locking pin will not go in if the bar isn't in all the way. Superior locking system.
    Tim & Debra
    2015 RAM 3500, SRW, 4x4, 6.7, Air bags, 18k Demco Auto Slider
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RLS, 16" Goodyear Endurance Tires,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! The jaws encircle the kingpin and the lock bar slides behind the jaws. Easy to see. Love it with the Demco Glide Ride also.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would this be possible with one of those Anderson hitches that connect to a goose neck?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    Would this be possible with one of those Anderson hitches that connect to a goose neck?
    no once you are on the ball its not going anywhere.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I dropped my FW onto the gate and bed, it gave me an excuse to get a flow gate.... I had spray-on bed liner on the rails which minimized the damage a bit, so I left the rails as is and never bothered with insurance.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough lesson from a easy mistake to make. Just ordered a new 3500 dually, and once we decide which 5th wheel to go with, it will be Reese Goosebox for sure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast