User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m glad to read there are ‘air only’ folks here. That’s what I did with my class c for years with no problem. I’d like to do the same on our new Solitude. I’m planning to blow everything out and then just add a bit of antifreeze to traps and toilet. I really dislike the idea of leaving almost 4 gallons of antifreeze in our unit all winter. Of course I would dislike cracked components from freezing even more.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    2006 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.0 DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get weeks of minus 30-40 (Celsius) and I’ve never blown the lines with air. Haven’t had a problem in over 30 years of RVing.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Not new to this at all, but a very late fall trip has me thinking...
    I prefer, for storage here in Minnesota, to blow out all the lines with air first, and then add antifreeze. It is not uncommon for us to get snow/freezing weather by Halloween. Last year we made a return trip just before that date, and at the last campground before home, I winterized just with antifreeze. Doable, but not fun when the morning temp was 38 degrees. I was a bit nervous over the winter, but spring revealed no issues.
    This year we will be returning mid-November. I'll keep an eye on the weather for the trip, and winterize in a better climate CG. Then motel it for the last night or two home. (Almost all northern locations for camping will be closed by then).
    So, 'tis impractical to lug along my main bigger air compressor. I have a small Harbor Freight 12v I use for tires, etc. on the road. Would one of the smallish portable tanks (again, Harbor Freight) have enough capacity to do a decent job of blowing out the lines? Fill it using the small compressor, then use it for the job.
    Or am I overthinking it, and just doing a good job of draining and using -75 antifreeze good enough?

(For those in less northern climes, it is not uncommon to get streaks of -15 to -30 below over the winter...hence the preferred belt and suspenders!)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JenInTenn View Post
    I’m glad to read there are ‘air only’ folks here. That’s what I did with my class c for years with no problem. I’d like to do the same on our new Solitude. I’m planning to blow everything out and then just add a bit of antifreeze to traps and toilet. I really dislike the idea of leaving almost 4 gallons of antifreeze in our unit all winter. Of course I would dislike cracked components from freezing even more.
    Doing both is best imo and is inexpensive and quick

Blow lines ,fill with antifreeze (15 dollars) then drain through low points into a bucket then dump that into all drains

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JenInTenn View Post
    I used air only for the past 30 years, then got a Reflection and got tons of recommendations to use antifreeze. Most cited the reason of low points in the lines that would trap water.

Living in NE Texas we just don't get much freezing temps (Feb 2021 was a gross exception). I've caved in for the last two years and put $5 of antifreeze in the trailer, but I still feel blowing lines out with air would be entirely sufficient.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    We get weeks of minus 30-40 (Celsius) and I’ve never blown the lines with air. Haven’t had a problem in over 30 years of RVing.
    I'm just not willing to chance it. Not when it's just a few bucks and 30min.
    If you don't blow or use antifreeze do you drain the lines?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm just not willing to chance it. Not when it's just a few bucks and 30min.
    If you don't blow or use antifreeze do you drain the lines?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

No sir, just pump it through the lines, making sure to run it through all the fixtures generously (including outside spray ports) which gets all the drains. Usually use almost two 4 litre jugs for my 373 FB (2 bathrooms).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12