User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I agree with all of you… @SolarPoweredRV, @Harvestmoon, @huntindog

1. Choice is good, you just have to be careful. I seem to remember one batt being taken apart and the actual amp-hours of the cells was less than the stated. Choosing a US-based “assembler” might be a good idea. Or just make sure you do plenty of research. I say “assembler” because it looks like essentially all of these LiFePO4 cells are hitching a ride on a boat to get here…the companies here are just putting the pieces together.

2. Which makes the base part (the cells) very likely the commodity product that @Harvestmoon states. But this isn’t terribly relevant, because if you have a favorite US assembler (like Dragonfly), just look up their cell supplier on ImportYeti.com, and buy the same thing via Alibaba, as long as you can DIY put the BMS, cells, balancer, etc. together.

3. If you need to buy tho and want peace of mind, I’m sure @huntindog is right about BB’s consistency.

I didn’t realize until now that Dragonfly Energy (Battle Born) is publicly traded.
    '23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel
    '22 Solitude 310GK-R
    Hensley BD5
    Illinois

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregmisc View Post
    What is a GC battery?
    Sorry about that. On some other forums, "GC" is how "golf cart" battery is abbreviated.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
    I think I agree with all of you… @SolarPoweredRV, @Harvestmoon, @huntindog

1. Choice is good, you just have to be careful. I seem to remember one batt being taken apart and the actual amp-hours of the cells was less than the stated. Choosing a US-based “assembler” might be a good idea. Or just make sure you do plenty of research. I say “assembler” because it looks like essentially all of these LiFePO4 cells are hitching a ride on a boat to get here…the companies here are just putting the pieces together.

2. Which makes the base part (the cells) very likely the commodity product that @Harvestmoon states. But this isn’t terribly relevant, because if you have a favorite US assembler (like Dragonfly), just look up their cell supplier on ImportYeti.com, and buy the same thing via Alibaba, as long as you can DIY put the BMS, cells, balancer, etc. together.

3. If you need to buy tho and want peace of mind, I’m sure @huntindog is right about BB’s consistency.

I didn’t realize until now that Dragonfly Energy (Battle Born) is publicly traded.
    As for #2 . Battle Born cells are different than any of the others I have seen, They are cylindrical, put together more like Tesla batteries. When Will Prowse did a tear down of one, he could not source those cells anywhere. In addition when he added up the total capacity, he found that BB exceeded its advertised capacity by a signifignant amount. He said he thinks that is why they are confidant in warrantying them for 10 years.
    So as of present, one cannot build a clone of a Battle Born Battery
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-03-2023 at 04:53 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    If anyone is still looking for a very decent battery, the AOLithium battery is on sale thru their direct site for 419.00 US. That's a very good battery with bluetooth and high/low charge protection which gets good reviews by several on YouTube. I just ordered 3 to install in the spring, which by the way can't get here soon enough.
    I see they sell on Ebay for $393.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/aolithiumus...75.m3561.l2563
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that BB has a great sales pitch. Bring up a bunch of fixes for problems that are not there. If I was going to build something that was going to the Moon or Mars, that would be the one to pick, hands down. Since I am just driving a few hundred miles away, I'm not interested is a build quality that is 10x more than I would ever need.

I am glad there are companies like Battle Born so the cheaper companies have something to shoot for. It allows companies to purchase products for their clients and not worry about come backs.

I am also glad there are companies that give just what we need and not any more. Reliable enough not to be worried and last long enough to get your monies worth.

The DIY market can be a way to really save you money but it can cost you twice as much as Battle Born. One of the biggest advantages of the DIY battery is that you know what the build quality is. If there is a future problem, you do not have to call someone to figure it out. You can design a battery that fits the space and demands that you require. The biggest advantage is that you can say anything you want to the builder without being concerned about being sued. I've told my builder he is a Fn idiot and he just agrees with me. Then we enjoy a beer when the problem is resolved. I highly doubt with all the great customer support Battle Born has, they do not offer that service.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would follow up with my progress and experience so far.
    I have installed 2 - Renogy 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate V3 Batteries. Dropped them in where the original batteries were. I added the Renogy BT-2 Blue Tooth monitor so I can see what is going on. When I first looked my SOC was 71%. This was during the day and the sun was out. Then next morning I looked again and my SOC was down to 64%. This started me wondering what was going on. I am in an RV park hooked to shore power. Going to be here for a couple months. In the evening we run lights, TV, Heat Pump and our 12v refrigerator. So the refrigerator and lights are drawing down the batteries even while we are plugged into shore power? Then the stock charge controller is maintaining the battery at around 64% SOC ? Today I noticed the SOC is climbing slowly now at 66%, but its cloudy our and my panels are not in a very good position. Thinking I may go ahead and order/install a PD9160ALV and see how that changes the picture. Good plan?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Okanoganjim View Post
    I have installed 2 - Renogy 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate V3 Batteries. Dropped them in where the original batteries were. I added the Renogy BT-2 Blue Tooth monitor so I can see what is going on. When I first looked my SOC was 71%. This was during the day and the sun was out. Then next morning I looked again and my SOC was down to 64%. This started me wondering what was going on. I am in an RV park hooked to shore power. Going to be here for a couple months. In the evening we run lights, TV, Heat Pump and our 12v refrigerator. So the refrigerator and lights are drawing down the batteries even while we are plugged into shore power? Then the stock charge controller is maintaining the battery at around 64% SOC ? Today I noticed the SOC is climbing slowly now at 66%, but its cloudy our and my panels are not in a very good position. Thinking I may go ahead and order/install a PD9160ALV and see how that changes the picture. Good plan?
    Looks like your charger is not lithium capable. Mine also isn't and I haven't setup my lithium battery yet. I was curious to see at what SOC my current charger would bring my lithium battery at.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Okanoganjim View Post
    Depending on when your camper was manufactured will determine if your converter is Lithium compatible. Guessing this changed about the time they started including the Solar Charger and Panel. It's good to know that at about 65% is all it's really good for, glade Santa brought me a new converter it install this Spring when I install my Lithium batteries as well.

Good Luck with your project(s). I know I can't help myself from thinking of stuff to improve upon during the off season.
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2019 Ram Rebel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I verified on my build sheet that I have the standard non-lithium WF-9800 converter. My Rv is a 2022 Solitude 310GK. Going to place my order today for the PD9160ALV..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something to keep in mind folks if you planning to have an inverter with your change to Lithium is to consider a Victron Multiplus unit that matches your trailer Multiplus II for 50A. This has everything in one place It includes the programmable lithium charger/converter (does other batterys too) the inverter, and transfer switch. Almost plug and play.

I started my project using separate components, but when I priced it out and all the extra wiring and connections, plus the transfer switch headache, the Victron came out ahead. And you can leave your existing converter in place (deactivated) just in case of the remote Victron failure that I have never heard of yet.

Just food for thought

PS don't be scared by the Victron price. There are usually 15% off sales from time to time.
    Just my 02 hint on this. If you going to do it, do it right the first time.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast