User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Nevada City, Ca where the temp as we arrived at 7:30pm was 89 with driving for 1 1/2 hours at 111 degrees. Nevertheless we needed air. As I was sitting enjoying the cool air I hear the odd noise from the rear air conditioner that sounded something pulled apart then I remembered this thread.

Sure enough the double stick tape holding the baffle pulled apart to no joy going from the air vents. I following this thread I ran to the store for foil duct tape and then added a sheet metal screw on each side of the baffle. I found several places on the output side where the duct tape failed and was filling cool air into the rafters. I taped up following Jim and also reseals the output side of the vent.

Air is blowing as it never did before. After initially reading this thread I had checked the baffle and walked away seeing no problem. In retrospect the baffle and output were leaking significant air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to GD - and owners check your A/C installations

We have 2017 369rl. Both of our Coleman AC units had baffles that were tilted at a 45 degree angle. This allowed the return air and output air to mix and reduce the volume of air flow. There were also gaps around the ceiling cavity where no tape was applied to seal the roof cavity! After taping these gaps and having the baffle issue corrected the difference is amazing. I suspect there are a huge number of owners that have no idea they have this same issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Carl and Diane - Arkansas
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
    2020 CHEVY 2500 HIGH COUNTRY DURAMAX
    Companion 5th wheel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread, but our brand new Reflection 290BH has the same issue. It was manufactured in 1/2018, so the problem undoubtedly still persists. I checked the baffle and sure enough, there's a significant amount of airflow going around its unsealed edges. The airflow through the ducts is just putrid, so I expect this is at least part of the reason.

Will report back once I have time to fix it. Have to figure out why the A/C is cycling weird too...runs good, then fan shuts off while compressor keeps going, then the fan immediately kicks back on. I think I saw a thread about that...

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent about an hour on each AC unit in our 297 using foil tape and sealing up every crack I could find, and then some. I even put a small strip of adhesive weather strip on the exhaust panel (with the sliding louvers) where it mates to the grill frame to further prevent cold air escaping into the room. Both units now work perfectly and seem to be quieter. I wonder how many thermostats have been replaced and blamed for this issue.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WTP-GC View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but our brand new Reflection 290BH has the same issue. It was manufactured in 1/2018, so the problem undoubtedly still persists. I checked the baffle and sure enough, there's a significant amount of airflow going around its unsealed edges. The airflow through the ducts is just putrid, so I expect this is at least part of the reason.

Will report back once I have time to fix it. Have to figure out why the A/C is cycling weird too...runs good, then fan shuts off while compressor keeps going, then the fan immediately kicks back on. I think I saw a thread about that...
    In many cases, the "weird cycling" is the result of the temp sensor getting fooled by the blow-by cold air.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Have to figure out why the A/C is cycling weird too...runs good, then fan shuts off while compressor keeps going, then the fan immediately kicks back on."
    I've had 3 different Dometic AC's, two on my current 337 and one on my previous SOB. All three would/will cycle the fan off and back on when changing fan speed. After reading the manuals I assumed this was normal operation, albeit a little annoying. I usually just set the stat to manual fan and/or run the BR AC when in the LR and vice versa.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removed duplicate

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:
    I removed the trim shroud and applied a liberal amount of duct tape to the top, bottom, sides, and middle of that baffle. Three was so much air blowing past that thing that it's hard for me to even imagine how the system could function correctly. Very poor craftsmanship on an otherwise well built rig. I also remove the vent shroud in the front bedroom to inspect the pre-installed ductwork for the 2nd AC and found that it was pretty well sealed up.

The cycling issue appears to be resolved. Whether it's normal operation or caused by the bad sensor readings due to the blow-by, I noticed last night that it would cycle when changing speeds and ultimately turn off when it reaches temp. All other times I've observed, it has been middle of day and perhaps still bringing the coach to the set temp. Time will tell.

I do have to say, though, that the noise level at either fan speed is annoyingly loud. It's much louder than the old FR Wildcat that we upgraded from. Also, the capacitive touch thermostat is a giant pain in the butt. I've found that it really only works when pressing the edges of the buttons, and God help you if you mess up and accidentally switch it to "C" instead of "F". Though I got it switched back to "F", I'm still not sure how I did that.

I look forward to becoming a paying member of this forum ;-)
    Last edited by WTP-GC; 05-14-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you got it working. This forum is a gem. So much good information on here already and tons of knowledgeable, helpful folks.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I do have to say, though, that the noise level at either fan speed is annoyingly loud. It's much louder than the old FR Wildcat that we upgraded from. Also, the capacitive touch thermostat is a giant pain in the butt. I've found that it really only works when pressing the edges of the buttons, and God help you if you mess up and accidentally switch it to "C" instead of "F". Though I got it switched back to "F", I'm still not sure how I did that.

I have the Dometic AC, and it is very loud.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast