User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    Don't get your hopes up for a huge display of any kind on the Alfred Packer site. While it is an interesting and macbre' story, the display is not much. It is on private property but accessible to the public. It consists of a few plaques at the massacre site on the south side of town and slightly off the hiway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...4d-107.3011326
    My great grandfather was the warden at the state penitentiary in Canon City where Alfred Packer was housed. I have hanging on my wall his old Colt .41 and his journal with the entry of Alfred Packer being incarcerated for a term of 40 years for the crime of “man eater”. Kinda cool if you are from Colorado and know the story. Not many from out of state know it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alfred Packer has his own dinning room at the University of Colorado in Boulder. Hope you enjoy Durango - I love it. See if you can visit Pagosa Springs - east of Durango, for the hot springs there. There are is least one RV park there.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't add much to the route information, but if you have the time in Amarillo, stop at Dyer's BBQ. You won't regret it. Depending on time of day, you should be able to park the rigs.

Also, Garcia's Kitchen in ABQ for solid New Mexican chow.

We typically eat our way across the country.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t miss Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo. During our visit there several years ago, we enjoyed an outdoor musical in the canyon. We pulled our 31’ fifth wheel north on Hwy 550 from Durango to Montrose. As advised, take it slow and don’t be bothered by the crazies honking their horns at you.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road Runner RV park in Red River, NM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    Don’t miss Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo. During our visit there several years ago, we enjoyed an outdoor musical in the canyon. We pulled our 31’ fifth wheel north on Hwy 550 from Durango to Montrose. As advised, take it slow and don’t be bothered by the crazies honking their horns at you.
    In Colorado its the law to pull over if impeding traffic. I do it wherever I am. Seen too many close calls of the idiots trying to pass me. Plenty of spots to do that along US 550, even some dedicated slow traffic pull outs.

Drive safe
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Next summer another couple and us are planning a trip to Durango, Our fiver and their TT. Planned path is-our homes in Louisiana to Big D down I-20, 625 around Dallas to Amarillo. Traveled that way before but not with RVs. From there on to Durango will be paths unknown.

Would like enroute camping info, highway advice, frequency of fuel along the way as I burn oil but his is gas and needs to refuel about every 200 miles, toll advice etc.

And, last but not least, which gps mapping app do you like for RV adventures?

Thanks a bunch for your advice.

Ed
    I have only driven to Durango in a car a few times. A 26' Ryder Truck once helping my brother move there. We will be making a trip next year towing the camper also to visit my brother. As for guidance I just purchased a Garmin RV 780 (they were $100 off) and used it on a trip to Indiana this past weekend. It does live traffic updates. There were wrecks and would pop up and show how long the delay was and give an alternate route if there was one. It gives warnings for speed limit drops, and warnings for curves etc. It can be used as a Bluetooth for your phone. You texts will come up on the screen. I am happy with it. You select if you are in a car or RV.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the OP has not been active since the 22. Hope all is well. I sent a PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how fast you want to get there. I would go via Rocky Mountain National park. If you don't want to make it that far, at least hit Buena Vista/Canon City area in route. It's close to Leadville and Aspen if you like to drive and tour. White water the Arkansas River if warm enough. Royal Gorge is near Canyon City and is worth the admission cost. The train ride along the gorge is nice. Take in the Great Sand Dune National Park driving to Durango. We stayed at Alpen Rose RV Park (970) 247-5540) while we were there. Nice park, great dog run and you can watch the Silverton Train come and go while sipping coffee. My thoughts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durango.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	30960
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow guys! Thanks for all the great information. All the options presented are great and now the four of us have to decided what do we want to do and how do we get there to do it. The expression of “drinking from a fire hose” seems to fit here. I’m going to break down y’alls sightseeing advice and travel routes to present to wifey and the other couple. It may be a while but I’ll post our decision. Thanks again!
    Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast