User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to want to make sure there are shock absorbers. It's just logical to have the extra dampening. Suspension travel is important as I would like to take the fiver down some mild fire trails. Maybe I'l talk the wife into visiting Indiana lol!
    Make sure you read through the information Timbren has on their Aeon springs. They are more than just rubber bumpers.
    https://timbren.com/p-35857-aeon-springs.html
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Make sure you read through the information Timbren has on their Aeon springs. They are more than just rubber bumpers.
    https://timbren.com/p-35857-aeon-springs.html
    Thanks for the info. Apparently Timbrens has multiple suspension systems:

1) Trailing axle using the Aeon rubber springs https://timbren.com/p-35853-axle-les...3DALL%20MODELS

2) Silent Ride which replaces the equalizers https://timbren.com/p-35854-silent-r...3DALL%20MODELS

3) Dakota Air that incorporates a shock and is advertised as delivering an extra smooth ride https://timbren.com/p-35856-dakota-a...3DALL%20MODELS

4) STI Air Ride https://timbren.com/p-35855-sti-trai...3DALL%20MODELS

I have no idea how to choose among those 4 systems.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiiiiiii; I’m hoping this is where I’m supposed to be,lol. Can anyone tell me what that bar is called that is put between the spring hangers to stiffen up the suspension. Thank You

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaywireRandy View Post
    Hiiiiiii; I’m hoping this is where I’m supposed to be,lol. Can anyone tell me what that bar is called that is put between the spring hangers to stiffen up the suspension. Thank You
    Randy,

It's called the MORryde X-Factor cross-brace system. It doesn't stiffen up the suspension (not something you want to do on a trailer). Instead, it supports the spring hangers so they don't fatigue and break from lateral stress forces.

BTW - welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    In that case I don't see why this wouldn't work for you. This looks like a very robust axle. The company normally builds axles for semi hauler trailers and such, so it should be fine for your Momentum. I would still try and see if you can add a shock kit with the axle. Have you gotten a quote on the price of the axle and for the install?
    @jjbbrewer, @TheLexx what did you guys ever decide for a suspension upgrade? I’m a little uneasy with the MorRyde shear spring concept. If one of those interfaces fail, the other wheel gets essentially all the weight.
    Last edited by LMagelitz; 01-24-2022 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Add tag
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    @jjbbrewer, @TheLexx what did you guys ever decide for a suspension upgrade? I’m a little uneasy with the MorRyde shear spring concept. If one of those interfaces fail, the other wheel gets essentially all the weight.
    I've been on three forums for eight years and put 45,000 miles on MORryde suspension systems myself. I've never read of, heard of, or experienced a rubber sheer spring failure on the MORryde system. Regular inspection will reveal any cracks early so replacement will prevent complete failure. This system is also used on buses and heavy coaches.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I've been on three forums for eight years and put 45,000 miles on MORryde suspension systems myself. I've never read of, heard of, or experienced a rubber sheer spring failure on the MORryde system. Regular inspection will reveal any cracks early so replacement will prevent complete failure. This system is also used on buses and heavy coaches.

Rob
    Hear is a link of someone who had an issue and it has a video of another who replaced one himself on the road.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...springs-ripped

I think your concern is valid but it also really applies to every suspension system out there. If you loose an equalizer/bracket on traditional leaf systems you could potentially loose the whole system on one side. None of them are fail proof. At least with IS if one fails it should not be catastrophic.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not either of them but here's my 2 cents. I can't speak to the other systems out there personally. I think the Roadmaster slipper spring system would have been my second choice if I didn't go with IS.

Our stock systems look about as rickety as they come unfortunately. I was looking under my dads Pinnacle and while its really the same system as ours, it looks much stronger. Its has a sub frame with cross braces already installed and the axel sits on top of the spring. It just looks much stronger FWIW
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't replaced my stock system yet. It's on the list for this coming year (if possible with all of the material and manufacturer shortages going on ).

I reckon if you have any type of suspension failure, a lot of the weight will transfer elsewhere. I know Rob and some others on this forum love their Morryde shear spring suspensions, which has a pretty decent track record. But I share your uneasiness; if I had that one, I know I'd be looking in my side mirrors more than I want to (kind of like I do now with my completely unnerving leaf spring system).

It's always seemed to me that the towable RV industry takes a minimalist approach to suspension & brakes - kind leaning toward Destination or Park style trailers. So my thought is to look for solutions from other industries such as heavy haul (Diamond C, Hutchens, Ridewell), or livestock/horse trailers (Logan, Featherlite).

My specific goals are 16k capacity (2x8k per "axle") with E/H disc brakes.
    My preferences from most desirable to least desirable are ..
    - Air Bag spring (I already have onboard air)
    - Independent / Axle Less
    - Compression Aeon spring
    - Shear or Torsion Bar rubber (Aeon?) spring
    - Leaf springs
    - Weld the damn axles straight to the frame

So far, here are the replacements I'm considering:

Next step is to consult with someone at the local Transwest shop to see if they have other ideas.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I haven't replaced my stock system yet. It's on the list for this coming year (if possible with all of the material and manufacturer shortages going on ).

I reckon if you have any type of suspension failure, a lot of the weight will transfer elsewhere. I know Rob and some others on this forum love their Morryde shear spring suspensions, which has a pretty decent track record. But I share your uneasiness; if I had that one, I know I'd be looking in my side mirrors more than I want to (kind of like I do now with my completely unnerving leaf spring system).

It's always seemed to me that the towable RV industry takes a minimalist approach to suspension & brakes - kind leaning toward Destination or Park style trailers. So my thought is to look for solutions from other industries such as heavy haul (Diamond C, Hutchens, Ridewell), or livestock/horse trailers (Logan, Featherlite).

My specific goals are 16k capacity (2x8k per "axle") with E/H disc brakes.
    My preferences from most desirable to least desirable are ..
    - Air Bag spring (I already have onboard air)
    - Independent / Axle Less
    - Compression Aeon spring
    - Shear or Torsion Bar rubber (Aeon?) spring
    - Leaf springs
    - Weld the damn axles straight to the frame

So far, here are the replacements I'm considering:

Next step is to consult with someone at the local Transwest shop to see if they have other ideas.
    Thanks @jjbbrewer and the others that posted after I resurrected this thread. I’m pretty partial to the air ride systems, just from experience with semi trucks. They keep the vehicle at the same height, regardless of load. Here are some others I found since posting last night:
    Autoflex Air Ride (autoflexsuspensions.com)
    MORryde Air1 - this was an interesting find!
    Dexter Air Flex
    Timbren STi

The Timbren STi is particularly interesting since it’s an independent air ride suspension. The sensing at each wheel would adjust the air pressure to level the trailer side-to-side (for weight differences of the 5er).

For right or wrong, I ordered the 310GK-R with 8k axles and disc brakes. I guess I’ll see how I like it in the stock condition. If I end up junking the axles, I suppose at least I got a GVWR boost (hopefully)….

I’ll post what I end up doing. Please do the same!
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast