Thread: Nervous Newbie

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tephlin;353117]
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Our previous trailer was a Hartland Wilderness. We were pulling it with a Chevy Suburban. We were using a Drawtight hitch. For some reason that combination was not very good and the trailer was all over the road. We took it back to the dealer several time and each time they tried something and test drove it they said it was the worst trailer they ever pulled. We invested in a Hensley hitch and it made all the difference in the world. We now have a GD 2970 RL. Our truck never sways even when I am passing a truck while a truck is passing me. Also when first trailering take small hops. We still do that today. I live in the Tampa FL area and even today when we first head out we will go no further than St. Augustine. Stay a day or two make sure everything is working correctly then head out after that. Also we try to use only Pilot or Flying "J" gas stations. They are usually big enough to maneuver about without needing to back up. If you join the Pilot Flying "J' campers club you get additional discounts. Last bit of advice.... Even though I do have a backup camer, my wife and I use walkie talkies to communicate with each other. I never back up without her behind me and positioned where I can see her in the drivers rear view mirror.[/QzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzI
    Just wondering, will Love Truck stops let RV'ers spend the night at their facility?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tephlin View Post
    " So first let me say your truck does not have a 13,200 lb towing capacity. " Wow ! that is an eye opener! that is one of the reasons I went with the 3.5 instead of the 5.0 engine. Why would they make that claim if it wasn't really true? Oh well, that doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the links for the mirrors. I wondered if I could see down the side of the trailer with the stock mirrors. Is the rear view camera easy to install?
    Marketing! That's the reason. In 2020 there was only one model that would pull 13,200 lbs according to their towing guide. The 3.5L is a good engine. It will tow your 22MLE up all but the steepest grades at the speed limit. I might get some criticism for this but I only put the mirrors on when I'm on a trip. Short hauls like from storage to my house and back I don't use the mirrors or the camera. With the mirrors I just have to turn my head to see down the side of the trailer. Without I have to lean toward the window and then I can see down the sides. Plus I have the blind spot detection system that includes the trailer when one is attached. So it warns me if there is a vehicle anywhere alongside the trailer. The rear view camera took me less than 20 minutes to install. It's really easy. The reason it took that long is I dropped the tiny screws a couple of times and had to climb down the ladder to find them. Big fingers and tiny screws are not a good match.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=NB Canada;351722]Start with local trips maybe under 120 miles for the first year
    There is a lot to know and do when trailering and setup and tear down of camp

I would never suggest a 1000 plus mile trip having never trailered before

Also invest in a top quality hitch

Really? Entire first year? That seems a bit cautious to me. A more aggressive approach might be to schedule a 100 mile road trip, and also a short trip or two where you encounter city traffic in less than rush hour conditions. Anyway, good luck with your new RV
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2011 RAM 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd highly suggest getting walkie talkies so your significant other can get out and help direct you through tight spots without having to shout. It's great for tight/crowded gas stations and backing into constrained camp spots.
    Chris, Tara, our two daughters, and our dog Slate full-timing
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Communication

Quote Originally Posted by ephl View Post
    We are recently retired and in our early seventies. We have never owned an rv before. After researching various trailers we put a deposit on a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE. Our tow truck is a Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine rated at 13,200 towing capacity. We will be camping occasionally one or two weeks at a time probably no more than a thousand miles from home. Having never towed a trailer, I am a little concerned about potential mishaps on the road such tire blowouts, strong wind gusts, or mechanical problems that I may encounter that I may not be able to trace and fix. I am not the greatest fix-it person. Any advice you may offer would be highly appreciated, especially those of you with this particular model. Thanks so much ! Tim
    I would also like to add that a pair of walkie talkies is a good option when backing into a camping site. Have your wife look out for low hanging limbs or other items that might need to be looked at before backing all the way in. It has keep me out of a few instances that would not have made my day. The additional advantage is she does all the talking, I just listen as I back up. Its good training for relationships...lol
    Last edited by Firescue; 03-09-2021 at 04:51 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried the walkies and it didn't really work for us same with the cell phones. There's a little lag sometimes which might be due to the Bluetooth headset and your not always guaranteed to have a signal. We do have a camera which helps a little but not that much. I always get out and check and also really on DW when she's not in my blind spots. I still haven't mastered her hand signal yet though. I still think its encoded and the code changes on a regular basis so the neighbors can't understand but I don't get the updates so I don't understand half of it. Lol. Theres 2 of these codes that never changes, the PANIC SCREAM which is for stop and when she tells me that I'm number 1. [emoji867]. Lol
    On a serious note, the one rule that I have is if I can't see her I stop. Its just too dangerous. Accidents happen so quickly. After a few minutes of not moving she usually pops around the corner and tells me I'm number one again to boost my confidence I think. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We tried the walkies and it didn't really work for us same with the cell phones. There's a little lag sometimes which might be due to the Bluetooth headset and your not always guaranteed to have a signal. We do have a camera which helps a little but not that much. I always get out and check and also really on DW when she's not in my blind spots. I still haven't mastered her hand signal yet though. I still think its encoded and the code changes on a regular basis so the neighbors can't understand but I don't get the updates so I don't understand half of it. Lol. Theres 2 of these codes that never changes, the PANIC SCREAM which is for stop and when she tells me that I'm number 1. [emoji867]. Lol
    On a serious note, the one rule that I have is if I can't see her I stop. Its just too dangerous. Accidents happen so quickly. After a few minutes of not moving she usually pops around the corner and tells me I'm number one again to boost my confidence I think. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    The millisecond you lose view of someone behind you while backing you stop - period! I cannot recall if on this forum too, but there are tales and proof of serious bodily harm to S.O.s when they were no longer seen while backing! It's something drilled into you as well if you've been properly trained to drive commercially.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this thread sidetracked to backing up. I do it completely solo. I don’t want anyone around

No need in having a spotter Once you surveyed the area and know where things are they don’t move

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ephl View Post
    Thanks, we have always been water people and I have pulled ski boats and pontoon boats but never a camper trailer. I am sure they catch a lot more wind and are harder on the tires. The last time we camped was about 38 years ago in a tent !!
    Not doing that anymore !!
    We have a 2020 F150 XLT crew 4x4 3.5 also, with an Imagine 2500RL. With rear air bags, it does ok, but with what we carry, I'm near max, so we've ordered the F350 which pops up below. However, regardless of what tow vehicle you have and the maneuvering experience you will need and gain over time, IMO the most critical item is the hitch. I've used the best Reese had in 2000 and in I-40 wind it was white knuckle every time a semi passed or I hit a wind gust. Changed to a Hensley Arrow and it eliminated the sway and the white knuckles. There are a couple similar, but read the reviews. If you're being pushed to the right and then sucked to the left by semis, you'll see why we went with the Hensley. They also sell reconditioned units with full guarantees and offer interest free financing.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with a much smaller TT after being disabled so my wife drives. we have a Imagine 2670MK which is a little bigger than yours and we tow it with a 2016 F150 ecoboost. we live in Wyoming where a breeze is 30mph winds but maybe being accustom to it and know when to slow down my wife has no trouble towing it and the ride is much easier on me. listen to these guys as most have been there & done that. Enjoy and start out slow.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast